It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

threatining e-mail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I checked my e-mail today and what I found was annoying and threatening! It supposedly came from the FBI. simply put, it said that I had better co-operate with the investigation into my co-operation with bringing illegal money into the U.S.of A. It went on to say that I should co-operate with these criminals discretely so that the F.B.I can continue their investigation. Well I sent a polite kiss my arse as a reply, and then quickly regreted deleting that e-mail.Any thoughts or advice??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

The FBI is not going to contact you by email. It's SPAM and some sort of ploy to get you to do something. My advice, hit the DELETE key and don't worry about it at all.

delius

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
I checked my e-mail today and what I found was annoying and threatening! It supposedly came from the FBI. simply put, it said that I had better co-operate with the investigation into my co-operation with bringing illegal money into the U.S.of A. It went on to say that I should co-operate with these criminals discretely so that the F.B.I can continue their investigation. Well I sent a polite kiss my arse as a reply, and then quickly regreted deleting that e-mail.Any thoughts or advice??

I would be more receptive to a LETTER via the postal service before I give any attention to any email.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Be very sure that I am aware that it is not from the "F.B.I." I simply am not comfortable with the amount of or reason for all of this type of e-mail

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Comrad "bourbon2nite", my advice to you is to get a good nights sleep and take it easy, you did the right thing. They will have to make an appointment with you, and show up at your door and show their identification to you; until then, as far as you "Really Know" they could be crooks; you need more substantial proof than just an e-mail.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is scam I would contact FBI a let them know of illegal impersonation of FBI. They don't like that kind of stuff, if you have anything to hide though don't contact FBI.
Just tell emailer to send cash, you will take care of money for them.

I turn all those scam people in, unless they send me money first.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Honestly I don't understand why people continue to open any email from a sender(s) unknown.

I could care less who the sender is - FBI, NSA, George Clooney or The Almighty.

I don’t know the sender - it goes in the trash bin.

Saves my computer unknown number of viruses, me a huge number of scams, and the male members of my acquaintance loads of money buying new boxers for those overlarge penises they’re now trying to stuff in their too small Speedos.

Give us another shout about you and the FBI after you get a knock knock on your door from a couple a guys dressed like the Blues Brothers with shiny badges.

OH, and well, honestly if I did see an email from George Clooney I’d probably open it.

Now go scan your computer for viruses.

peace

[edit on 26-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If you want, you could report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center:

www.ic3.gov...

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

IC3's mission is to serve as a vehicle to receive, develop, and refer criminal complaints regarding the rapidly expanding arena of cyber crime. The IC3 gives the victims of cyber crime a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of suspected criminal or civil violations. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at the federal, state, local and international level, IC3 provides a central referral mechanism for complaints involving Internet related crimes.

They did say they wanted you to help the FBI continue their investigation, right?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
thank you for some useful rather than sarcastic advice

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Oh I left out this part Money how much are you going to pay me for my time and coperation, if this is really the FBI show me the money and I mean cash. What you think I do covert work for free?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The Nigerians are at it again.
I use a web translator to send my reply in Tagalog or some other language followed by a bunch of ??????

After they find there is a lack of communications due to language barriers they will take you off there email list.

i even had one claim they were a rich filipino and needed to get money out of Nigeria.
i sent my reply back in Tagalog and never heard from them again.

www.419legal.org...
www.fraudwatchers.org...
www.woai.com...

I have fun with some of the 419 scammers and tell them i sent the money to the where they said .
Then i send then a copy of the email I claimed to have got just after the one that told me where to send the money telling my to send it to a different western union address.

This leads them to believe someone at the Internet cafe they are using is trying to rip them off.

I always wonder what the fights at the Nigerian Internet cafes are like from these tricks i play.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It's a scam. Criminals are responsible for this. The FBI would not e-mail you. They would send agents to your door and ask to talk to you about this. I know thisbecause the same thing happened to me, with the e-mails. I turned around and told the authorities about it and they took care of it.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

That is a spam email that originally came out of a server in San Francisco. They have since moved it due to getting caught. BUT for future reference if the FBI wants to talk to you they will come to your door your work or where ever they can catch up with you. THEY WILL NOT USE EMAIL.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
it said that I had better co-operate with the investigation into my co-operation with bringing illegal money into the U.S.of A. It went on to say that I should co-operate with these criminals discretely so that the F.B.I can continue their investigation.

i really wish you had kept that e-mail so that you could reply saying you would be delighted to help the FBI but, unfortunately, they require that you send them $500 dollars to allow for legal fees and bribes, should the FBI be willing to send the $500 to your western union account you would be happy to continue to help with the investigation.

a missed opportunity i feel.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I got one not that long ago that threatened my life. It essentially said that someone was going to kill me unless I sent money to this person who assured me he/she could stop it. The piss-poor English certainly didn't do much to convince me. I deleted it and, until reading this thread, haven't thought of it since. You'd think with all the cruise missles we have lying around that we could traget a few of these Nigerian internet cafes.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Another poster said what I would have said.

Contact the FBI, tell them what happened, and let them deal with it. Impersonating a Federal Officer is a big-time felony, and doing it by Email (wire) is another Federal Felony.

Most towns have at least a small FBI office, whether it's advertised or not.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

probably not sent from the US though, and even if it is it'll be difficult to pin it to someone.

top topics

join