It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

home invasion thwarted by armed citizen.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
You did the right thing valleyboy, with no protective options, and with another's welfare to worry about, you did the best you could.

Stars for our brothers across the pond, that still have good sense!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Thank you Hotrod! I guess in a way it goes to show that you dont have to be on the offense to protect what you hold dear! A solid defence can be just as effective in gaining the desired result (just look at the German soccer team hehe sorry gotta inject some humour)
I know one thing is for certain Id rather some people consider me a coward and do what I did than go gung-ho blindly and end up at another stat. Plus Id never have forgiven myself if anything had happened to my girlfriend (shes since ran off with our estate agent but thats another story hehe)
Thank you for your support - its nice to hear that I did the right thing from neutral people rather than just friends n family if ya get me

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

However, it is NEVER as simple as a lot of people are making it sound in this thread. Anything can happen and the criminals are often extremely unpredictable

I MUST disagree...a criminal in my house, on the floor, with the 8 my clip holds, and or the 2 buckshot field load gauge blasts(all I need, I promise)...that criminal will act in a very predictable manner...fidgity or not, when I aim to give a fella some lead poisoning, it is a fatal dose, guaranteed!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddymax

However, it is NEVER as simple as a lot of people are making it sound in this thread. Anything can happen and the criminals are often extremely unpredictable

I MUST disagree...a criminal in my house, on the floor, with the 8 my clip holds, and or the 2 buckshot field load gauge blasts(all I need, I promise)...that criminal will act in a very predictable manner...fidgity or not, when I aim to give a fella some lead poisoning, it is a fatal dose, guaranteed!

And if they were quicker than you? If your loved one happened to be in the kitchen getting a drink as you lie in bed and the intruders enter and take her hostage?
What I mean to say is that the situation can NEVER be predicted. You do not necessarily know when they will strike.
It is very easy to say:

a criminal in my house, on the floor, with the 8 my clip holds, and or the 2 buckshot field load gauge blasts

But in all reality, you do not know what will happen.
I too argue that if somebody entered my house that I would grab the nearest weapon and punch it through their head, however, it may not be that simple.
I do not doubt that you would go to such lengths to protect your possessions/loved ones, I applaud you for taking that stance, really I do, but it just may never be all black and white as many people in this thread seem to think.

edit: typo

[edit on 27-1-2009 by george_gaz]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Understood my friend...however I would put my wife, 19 year old, 7 year old, or myself up against any criminal. I do fully agree that you cannot predict this type of situation in order to be properly equipped, but then again I am ABSOLUTELY against anyone having guns in the house...and no gun training in the house. I may feel a bit safer should I be the one firing as I would probably keep my head better...but my entire family can wield any of my death causing instruments quite handily, and I trust them to.

Don't think I'm trying to say that I may not gain the upper hand...but I would never not use the options I had at hand...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

to Ismail: Im not American, but I understand well that your post is stupid.
Maybe in islamic countries they let burglar to enter, rob them , rape all the women in their house and after they give him some sandwiches for the road... but I doubt it I think its quite contrary.
And here in europe some biurocratic mind engineers of unclear intentions try to render their citizens defenseless-probably to manipulate them easier. Their sympathy to the bandits is uneksplained- maybe out of solidarity...many of nouveau riches started their fortunes by stealing...

peace Stanley Kovalsky

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
reply to post by turbokid

Which makes you a particularily irresponsible gun-owner. A gun should be kept out of reach, and unloaded. You just proved you don't deserve to own a gun. Well done.

I do not see how turbokid's post proved he is an, as you stated, "irresponsible gun-owner". There is a term in life threatening situations called "action vs. reaction", in which action ALWAYS trumps reaction. I personally own 3 hand guns. Out of the 3, my .380 is always loaded and cocked to the ready. The other 2 remain in a gun box with the safety on, a trigger lock, and a master lock on the trigger lock. As is the case with most gun-owners, that .380 stays in the night stand on my side of the bed. I have a two-story home, so I'm granted the luxury of having the safety on. If I lived in a one-story home or if my bedroom was close to the front door or garage, please believe that safety would off at ALL times. There is a difference between being a responsible gun-owner and being a concerned head of household. I'm not giving anyone the upper hand should I ever be put in a situation where I felt I had to defend those who live in my house and what I rightfully own.

My guess is that your a person who believes in the concept of gun control. Someone had previously posted something to the effect of gun control only effects law abiding citizens. That statement is absolutely true. I grew up in the "hood" university heights section of Bronx, NY to be exact. And I can tell you this; I can buy a gun (illegally) easier than I can buy a house.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Unit541

I'm just saying that the "shoot first ask questions later" seems to be a pretty irresponsible when the thing in your hand is made to kill. Warn the perp that you have a gun. Most people would just turn around and leave. Waiting in ambush as someone breaks down your door in order to get a clean head shot is plain criminal.

The locked door, says "do not enter". This is the warning. Locking my door tells anyone who tries to open it that I do not want them to come in. Those that would perpetrate a home invasion are well aware that someone in the house may very well be armed.

Or, I suppose I could piss them off by yelling at them through the door that I have a gun and will shoot. That way they can go get all their ghetto buddies and come back to make an example out of me and my family. No thanks. I have a right to use deadly force to protect my home and family. I choose to exercise this right when and if I am ever faced with the situation.

Do you warn the rats before you put out the traps? Do you warn the roaches and ants before you spray? Nope. they invade your home, you kill them. Whether your a roach, a rat, or another human being, if you invade a home, you face the possibility of a violent and immediate death. The only difference between the humans and the roaches and rats, is that the humans are AWARE that they're risking their life by entering someone elses home.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid

Originally posted by Soloman Kane
What happened in Texas ,where the guy shot the guys who were robbing the house next door,blew them away on his front lawn ,as they were running away?

he was aquitted.

Not acquitted - he was no billed by the grand jury. Difference between acquittal and not being charged at all.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Ok i live in New Zealand where we definatley AREN'T allowed guns unless they are hunting sport they have to be locked up with the ammo locked up seperately, now recently over the last few years we are gettin more and more violent crimes occuring especially break-ins, thats why i sleep with a crowbar under my bed (good 'ol blue) but i can gaurentee that aint gonna do squat when some stupid little gang prospect busts in with a rifle is it?

Even if he came in and i hit him with my bar i would get done no doubt, if he died i would get manslaughter at least, thats how our country works. Ill tell ya a lil story, There was a business owner in Auckland, NZ, a crack addict busted into his business while he was working, and brandished a large machete threatning the owner. Unfortunately the crackhead chose to break into a gun shop, so as the cracker went for the owner, the said owner shot him in the stomach, he survived (im pretty sure), but the owner got done for discharging a firearm and has been charged with possessing a firearm without lawful, proper or sufficient purposes.

Sufficient purpose?? WTF even after public outcry the idiot pigs still wanted to charge him, its enough to make you sick.

Gunstore owner shoots machete wielding scum of the earth

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

That is ridiculous. The town should march on the jail and rip him out.

My mind is blown.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
yea it was in 2007 i cant find out what actually happened to him, if you want a good read of other NZ police cock-ups this is just as bad as american ones and still NOTHING seem to get done about it

NZ police are stupid

infact i might make a new thread about this absurdity

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

So, in other words, the law says that you are to let them harm or even kill you? Wow, that law is brain death at it`s best. I don`t care, if it is a choice of my life or the crook, who do you think I am going to choose?

I`m sorry, but the people in your country needs to take your government to task over this, and ask them why you need to die because of a stupid law. Gee, I wonder what would happen if anyone from your government were to be put in harms way like that. Would they stand there and let a crook harm them or even kill them? I very much doubt it. Not when it`s their life or families lives that is at stake.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
reply to post by Skinon

So, in other words, the law says that you are to let them harm or even kill you? Wow, that law is brain death at it`s best. I don`t care, if it is a choice of my life or the crook, who do you think I am going to choose?

ridiculous aint it? the criminals have more rights than the citizens. whoever made these laws or prosecutes the innocent should go before a firing squad. that is the only way to stop it

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is how messed up the world is at the moment... and its only going to get worse, and then worsen moreso.

Burglar/robber corrupts younger brother
Attempt to rob house (possibly is known by earlier date, etc.?)
Man shoots robber
This affects robber greatly, and man will have sanity issues
Younger brother possibly seeks revenge from being exposed to hate, fear, and greed - evil feelings.

People oughta be helping eachother up... not doing this..

Evolve.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentMoulder

reply to post by turbokid

Which makes you a particularily irresponsible gun-owner. A gun should be kept out of reach, and unloaded. You just proved you don't deserve to own a gun. Well done.

I do not see how turbokid's post proved he is an, as you stated, "irresponsible gun-owner". There is a term in life threatening situations called "action vs. reaction", in which action ALWAYS trumps reaction. I personally own 3 hand guns. Out of the 3, my .380 is always loaded and cocked to the ready. The other 2 remain in a gun box with the safety on, a trigger lock, and a master lock on the trigger lock. As is the case with most gun-owners, that .380 stays in the night stand on my side of the bed. I have a two-story home, so I'm granted the luxury of having the safety on. If I lived in a one-story home or if my bedroom was close to the front door or garage, please believe that safety would off at ALL times. There is a difference between being a responsible gun-owner and being a concerned head of household. I'm not giving anyone the upper hand should I ever be put in a situation where I felt I had to defend those who live in my house and what I rightfully own.

My guess is that your a person who believes in the concept of gun control. Someone had previously posted something to the effect of gun control only effects law abiding citizens. That statement is absolutely true. I grew up in the "hood" university heights section of Bronx, NY to be exact. And I can tell you this; I can buy a gun (illegally) easier than I can buy a house.

!

of course you should keep a gun out of reach and unloaded. duh. people with negative vibrations cant handle the state of having an open-sighted gun. Ever heard of object fixation?

I own a gun... and im almost welcoming the HR bill that will welcome more gun control, there is great change about and having guns WILL NOT FIX A D.A.M.N. THING. Afterall... the best weapon is your hands right? (If you are overweight, have not taken care of the "yang" or physical body of yourself - this will not apply, for your reactions are not as attuned for combat situation. Bless thee eternal happiness)

----
I apolgize for any necessary anger to take place in order to teach you the higher path.

I have now read all your paragraph and have to say that im baffled as to your choices of actions. You wanna be the concerned head of the household?

A - if you're concerned you either have something to hide or are fearful of something. Quick tidbit about myself - ill carry a knife with me some places.. a six inch blade or so, however always in my backpack or concealed and ONLY to come out in : survival situation or deadly harm coming to my body.

B - Having a cocked and loaded handgun prolly'll get your little daughter capped off first in a situation that they were present.. Try that idea on there!

Truth be told, i am ashamed that there are still people that think it due right to be "cocked and ready" as this gentlemen has and is, for people need to elevate, drop their ego's, and work towards a unification of one.

If i were with you one day my friend i would teach you how to love the world.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by survival

yeah, next time some dude is breaking into my house, i'll make him a sandwich while he rapes my wife and loads up my sh#t.

How's that for helping?

Let's just give them all Darwin awards instead, shall we?

[edit on 28-1-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by survival

I think these guys need a hug too

Men rape and burn alive Dr.'s daughters

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by survival

people need to elevate, drop their ego's, and work towards a unification of one. If i were with you one day my friend i would teach you how to love the world.

I laughed myself silly when I read this.

It reminded me of a "B" movie I'd seen years ago where some tree hugger chains himself to a tree to keep the evil loggers from cutting it down. A big green dinosaur happens upon the tree hugger. The tree hugger looks up at the carnivorous creature, smiles and says cheerfully, "Peace, green brother." The dinosaur, who obviously does not share the universal brotherhood code immediately eats the tree hugger.

Anti-gunners share quite a bit in common with the tree hugger. I don't reject the sentiments of wanting a better world where I don't have to keep my door locked and my gun loaded. Unfortunately, there are carnivorous creatures that don't share that philosophy and will devour me in a heartbeat if given a chance.

I have zero intention of chaining myself to the tree of liberty to make my point. I'll stay cocked-n-locked and ensure that my "green brother" behaves himself.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Think about the reason home invasions have become so popular. Because the thieves have done it before and just walked away to do it again. I say blow their heads off. They need to be dealt with. If people protected their property thieves would make SURE no one was home before breaking and entering. Some thieves don't even care if someones at home or not. I bet if the word got out in these criminal organizations that people had guns they would turn to a different crime. How can you have sympathy for someone who has NONE for you? Maybe you dont care about your 100$ tv but I worked very hard at a hard job to buy things that are important to me and anyone trying to take anything I worked for is going to be handled appropriately. The mindset of a criminal does not care you worked all month to get the rent money before he robs you at the atm. The mindset of a criminal does not care you worked two jobs to buy Christmas presents for your kids. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. So to have sympathy for someone like that is ridiculous. Every one of these criminals that are killed are making it a better society for all of us. Its just too bad they died so quick, they probably didnt feel any pain with a blow to the head.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join