It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

home invasion thwarted by armed citizen.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
Look at the 16,000 suicides in the states - that could have been halved if guns were not so readily available.

Like it or lump it, Europe is a Utopia in comparison. What's wrong with that?

haha. oh yeah. tell that to the 15,635 suicides without a firearm for the same period.

data from here..webapp.cdc.gov...

also of note, the suicide rate in Japan and Germany is higher than that of the US and they own fewer guns..
even canada has a higher suicide rate than the us and they have 1/3 fewer guns.
same with Russia, Russia ranks 2nd in the world for suicide YET they have 9 guns for every 100 citizens. by comparison the US has 90 guns per 100 citizens.

the US has, by a wide margin, the highest gun ownership rate in the world but rank 12th in suicide below 11 other countries with fewer guns, TRY AGAIN

data from here en.wikipedia.org...
and here
fathersforlife.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

You get my star.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Is ths post not about firearms?

Not suicides.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by turbokid

Is ths post not about firearms?

Not suicides.

you brought it up..
but way to sidestep

but i agree, its about firearms let get back on track.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If this Richard Lopez (or anyone else) had kicked down my door, he would have caught a couple of Speer Gold Dot .45 caliber hollowpoints and would now be taking a dirt nap. No mouse guns for me. I am licensed and pack my weapon 100% of the time. It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. People have every right to defend themselves and their families from the criminal element.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Heres your utopia

UK is knife crime capital

vilonet crime in Aus and UK higher than US

violent crime underreported in UK

UK Judge ok's Teen knifing

crime states show rise in knifings

truth about knife crime revealed

As long as you don't use a GUN, it's all good.

Ruminate a little, then feel free to bugger off

[edit on 26-1-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hey, wasn't it a Scotsman, or maybe Welsh, that smashed that girl's face for having an English accent?

Police your own, then worry about us.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7
Hey, wasn't it a Scotsman, or maybe Welsh, that smashed that girl's face for having an English accent?

Police your own, then worry about us.

What, there is no discrimination in the states?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
S & F.

Very proactive approach,
I will also join your cause

the positives of gun ownership by far outweigh the negative, IMO

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Of course, but I am not holier than thou.

Solve your violent crime and race problems, then worry about ours.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

For gods sake, what do you expect someone to do?

Just let them waltz on in, prove they have a gun first, then shoot?

Ask him him if hes got a gun? What if he dosnt it has to be a fair fight?

He's an intruder into someones HOME, like a very wise person stated before, if you dont want to be shot, simply dont go breaking into homes, it really is that simple.

I value human life, but do not feel sorry for someone who breaks into the safe haven of a family in the middle of the night(or day whats the difference) and gets shot dead. What did the criminal expect was going to happen? be greeted with milk and #in cookies?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The police raided my house. They didn't find anything. They kicked the door in right and it fell on my infants seat. Luckily, he was with me. I wasn't arrested, but they didn't replace the door. It was freezing. They trashed the entire house...counting all the aspirin and things, eager to find something they didn't. If the man in this story would have been there he would've been a copkiller. But why would that make him less of a hero? I wish that he would've been. I didn't get an apology. I was supposed ot be happy they didn't plant anything to prove they had a reason, I guess. I am happy, I got far away from there...I wish I could do more than that.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Published: 10.16.2008

The 23-year-old student shot and killed Shontel R. Early, 30, and Wesley O. Fenstermacher, 29, after the two men attempted to invade his home early Thursday morning, said Sgt. Fabian Pacheco, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.
At least one of the invaders was armed with a gun during the incident, which occurred shortly after 12:30 a.m., said Pacheco, who gave the following account:
The student was home alone in the 800 block of East Adams Street, near North Euclid Avenue and East Speedway.
There was a knock at the door and one of the men asked for someone who did not live there.
The student looked past the man he was speaking with and saw another man, who had his face covered and was armed with a gun.
He retreated into his home and grabbed his own handgun, but the men made their way in.
The student called police to report the shooting. When officers arrived they found the two men dead just inside the doorway.

www.azstarnet.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
28 gun crimes cmmited in UK every day, rise of 8 per week

"We will have to ban shoes, so they can't leave the home to go obtain these ilegal weapons!!!

Henceforth, my fellow Lords, all shops must make home deliveries, to protect our tender soles!!

All shopkeepers will be registered, and certified 100% unable to defend themselves before embarking on any delivery."

That would border on racism if it didn't hit so close to the bone.

My apologies to Northern Raider, apparently one of the few blokes that retains both intestines and testicles on the whole bloody island.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Good for him. Crime is getting out of control. This younger generation of criminals don't even fear going to prison. I don't really like the idea of shooting some punk kid trying to steal petty material things. But you better believe I keep my Hand Cannon locked and loaded with one in the chamber. Because these young MFs will kill you.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by OS EXYCEUS]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I've grown up in Australia, where guns have been banned for as long as I can remember.

I vaguely remember the Howard gun buy-back but not well. I don't remember the publics reaction to it.

In saying that, after the events of the past decade, I'm hoping that there are enough guns left in the country in case something catastrophic does happen and order breaks down, so that the innocent people and families can protect themselves against lawless thugs and gangs.

I know myself, living in a rural area, it won't be too hard to get our hands on some bolt action rifles, but compared to the arsenals you are allowed to own in the States, high quality firearms will be hard to come by.

Now that I am old enough to do everything else, I'm thinking about getting my gun license and a weapon.

Yes I know the dangers of guns, and yes I know that they kill people, but to put it bluntly, thats the point.

It is the same as men carrying swords in the middle ages. A way to say 'back off' and a form of protection, only used as a last resort.

To the OP I say go the home owner. Criminals know the risks when they break into a home.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I came home from work last year to find a young kid hiding in laundry. The house was a mess and as soon as I walked in I knew I'd been robbed.

I scared the living crap out of him, and told him he is lucky he is so young, and that I wouldn't hurt him THIS TIME.

After giving him a stern talking too I let him go.

A few days later the misses asks "honey, where's the digital camera?"

The little bugger must of had it stashed in his pants and I let him walk out the door with it. $1600 worth of camera gone forever.

I wonder what the stats are for people pulling a firearm in a home invasion type scenario and the perps ran away - no #s fired, just scared them off.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Well I do find it kind of weird how some americans think it's ok to kill a guy for trying to steal their TV... It's kind of frightening because it shows how much some of you value life. (I.E. less that a TV, whats that, 100 $ for a good one ? )

Spoken by someone that has never had to work a crappy job to skrimp and save up and buy his possessions, I assume.
My wife and I, and our famillies before us, worked to aquire homes and comforts and investments, to make our childrens lives not as crappy as ours had to be.
Why should I, or any honest, hard-working, law-abiding citizen allow any lazy, selfish, ignorant, 8th grade level educated career criminal a free ride?
As far as I'm concerned, the death of a perpetrator in a self defense shooting is making society just that bit better. At least they won'e be able to breed and spread their abuse, and selfishly induced misery to others.
And I do value life. I value the lives of those that respect other people.
It's like people voicing concern because of gang members killing each other - where's the problem? I say give them all M16's - the less of these idiots there are the better for everyone.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Also, may I stress that many types of guns, such as automatics or pump-action weapons respond badly to being "kept loaded", because this increases the risk of a jam, or even a backfire. I'm sure, as a responsible gun-owner, you know this.

I call shenanigans!
First off, civilians are not allowed to purchase or own automatic weapons, unless they are classed as antiques.
Secondly, jam and misfires happen with freshly loaded ammo. The usual problem for guns stored loaded, is caused by corrosive primers. There are not many cartridges made these days with corrosive primers. Most mis-fires are caused by bad ammo, not the weapon. Ammo will detiorate over time if not kept away from humidity. A home defense weapon should be used on the range every 6-8 weeks to cycle the ammo, instill confidence in your weapon, and keep your skills up. Good brand home defense ammo will last generations if stored right.
Thirdly, the degredation can only happen to the gun if the rounds are chambered. Most people outside of the military do not chamber rounds until they are needed, to avoid accidental discharge. It takes less than a second to cock/rack your weapon to bring the cartridge into the chamber.
A responsible gun owner is one who keeps his weapon clean, safe, and close by.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join