It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

home invasion thwarted by armed citizen.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by orangetom1999

we DON'T DO GUNS.

I don't "do" guns either, but I keep one for protection and for target shooting.

Just funnin, no harm intended

Peace

Personally, I feel if you don't want a gun, then don't have one. But my constitution gives me the right to own them and it should stay that way.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
...and that is why there is a problem with deaths in your country because of firearms.

Remove them from the equation - increased chance of survival.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
reply to post by WhamBamTYM

Allow me to state that I do not consider what I own to be more important than another human's life. Be he a criminal.

it is sad that people like this will never suffer a break in. sorry i work hard for everything i own. after a long day of work/school people want to be left alone.. you have these low lives and menaces to society that want to take your hard earned money/tv/life away from you just because they decided to be criminals. if this ever happened to me, i would make sure that the criminal does not get out of my house, with my money or his life.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
...and that is why there is a problem with deaths in your country because of firearms.

Remove them from the equation - increased chance of survival.

yea that worked really well for great britain
/endscarcasm

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

No need for sarcasm, it did. Go on, try it

I will be statistically proven correct.

What do the University boffins in the states have to say on such matters?

Surely they say remove them from the equation and there will therefore be a drop in the figures. Common sense to me.

If you don't have them - the idiots won't have them (with the exception of the few which would be available through the black market etc - just like in the UK)

But it is still not as big a factor as it is in the US.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
ok friends, before this thread gets waaay overboard i'd like to post another story for you and also like to encourage you to post your own stories that you happen across. the only thing i ask is that they be relatively new stories.
and thanks for all the replys everyone

Last Update: 1/07/09

Police are investigating after a suspect accused of breaking into a Colerain Township home was shot and killed in a gun fight with the homeowner Tuesday night.

According to police, two armed men forced their way into a home at the Burgundy Court Apartments in the 3200 block of Rocker Drive just after 11 p.m.

That is when police say a gun battle broke out between the resident of the apartment and the suspects, with multiple shots fired.

Police say one of the suspects was shot several times. Rescue crews transported him to University Hospital, where he later died.

Authorities are still searching for the other suspect, who fled the scene on foot. Officials believe he was also shot and may seek medical attention.

The homeowner was not injured. He is not currently facing any charges, but the incident remains under investigation.

www.wcpo.com...

[edit on 26-1-2009 by turbokid]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

Human life isn't worth a t.v.

But thieves know the price they can pay. They make a decision- a bad one- and run the risk. They gamble and lose.

How many stories have you heard, watched on t.v., or read in a newspaper about a robbery gone wrong- i.e., the thief finds out people are home, or arrive while robbery in progress, and are killed because the thief- usually an enormous coward who likes to think he has rights- freaks out over possible arrest or witnesses.

According to some of these arguments, we should also berate the robbed and violated- maybe even raped- for calling the police!!! After all, if they never notify police of the attack, and if victims don't make a stink and look the other way, thieves and sex offenders won't be forced to kill in order to get away.

Therfore, we should just shut the f*** up, be victimed, thank whoever for not killing us and taking only our t.v.'s instead of our lives, the world would be a better place.

Moral- pay to play. Breaking and entering, be prepared. Is stealing a t.v. worth the price of possible death?
And as for their rights- as far as I'm concerned, they have waived their rights when they violated someone else's.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Dec. 23, 2008

A Chandler jewelry store owner is being praised as a hero for thwarting a robbery even as he was being shot in the face.

Rusty Uptain, his wife, Debbie, and their son, Chris, were in the store at about 6:45 p.m. Saturday when two robbers walked into the shop, shot pepper spray into Chris Uptain's face, then chased him as he ran to the back of the store.

Detectives are still reviewing surveillance footage to determine what happened next. But Uptain's sister-in-law, Nancy, said one of the men lifted his gun to shoot at her brother-in-law and nephew. Before he could shoot, Rusty tackled him.

He then grabbed his own gun and the two exchanged bullets.

The two robbers fled, one on foot, the other, who was shot, in a stolen truck.

Police chased Kevin William Murray, 46, of El Mirage, until he pulled over on his own near the Loop 101 and Broadway Road. He was rushed to a hospital where he died.

The surviving suspect, Kenneth Wayne Simpson Jr., 27, of Phoenix, ran into a nearby neighborhood with a handful of solitaire diamonds, authorities said. He was caught by police within hours and is charged with first-degree murder under a law that holds someone legally liable for a death that occurs during the commission of a felony crime, said Detective David Ramer, a police spokesman.

and this is the best part...

Standing inside the business where bullet holes were still in the walls Monday, Nancy Uptain praised Rusty as a hero.
"It's because of our freedom to have protection for ourselves that this family is still alive," she said.

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I will bet you home invasion in this area will drop to a all time low now. If every homeowner had guns like they do where I am from home invasions would be 0

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[7] with firearms used in 16,907 suicides in the United States during 2004.

I understand that if you grew up in a safe society that you may not feel you have a need for self-defense, it was this way in rural America once where you could leave your door open and have no worries of crime or harm. That changed in the latter half of the 20th century. Now violent crime has spread from the inner cities to all over America, meth labs in the rural areas now and thugs universally come from anywhere in the country. Morality went to crap. The UK is now catching up. The gang culture has caught on with your youth and immigrant populations and it is only getting worse. Many of you still have the shades drawn and will not take action until tragedy hits close to home.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let's continue:

The inherent right to Self Defense is ultimate civil right!

How any society can deny the rights of the people to adequately defend themselves, loved ones and property without fear of imprisonment is beyond my comprehension and I feel the need to respond to posts like this due to the minority anti-gun crowd always using Europe / UK as models of a Utopia no-gun civilized safe society.

Hey, it was a nice try. What now? Continue to ban knives, pointy objects, sporks, and sharpened pencils? That is crazy. Your tormentors have no regard for the law and there is absolutely no deterrent not to be a criminal since even the general populace would rather lay down and give away their property and sometimes worse (your lives) instead of defend themselves in a common sense manner.

A GUN crime is carried out in Britain every 52 minutes, new figures showed yesterday. Cops dealt with 9,967 last year (that's some pretty good gun crime number in a country with no guns)... LOL

www.thesun.co.uk...

Living in Britain is now more dangerous than the Balkans. That is saying something.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

And best yet, the UK prosecutes those who defend their freeking homes from burglars and suggests that if you see a crime in progress that you don't get involved??? What bizarre behavior... I just do not understand it, you pretty much tell the criminals that they WILL get away with the crime and the victim is not allowed to resist the crime or help someone else getting assaulted for fear of prosecution if you do!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[/EX] "A shopkeeper could be charged with murder after defending himself against an armed robber who was killed by his own knife, police said yesterday." "I feel lucky to be alive. All I was doing was trying to stop myself getting hurt," he said. "The guy could have killed me. I've got some injuries to my face and I'm pretty shaken up, but thankfully I am OK and able to return to work."

Well no, your going to jail on suspicion of murder...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Again, what deterrent is there? Hell, you prosecute people who defend themselves in their own damn homes.... and you catch and prosecute how many of these thugs... less than 10%... less than 5%? This behavior is completely irrational to me.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Burglar killed victim a day after leaving prison
www.telegraph.co.uk...

"The clear view of the Association of Chief Police Officers and the Home Office is that it is better to let a thief get away and to call the police than to risk injury or death in a confrontation. In its advice to the public on "staying safe when you're out and about", the Home Office states: "If someone grabs your bag, let it go. If you hang on, you could get hurt. Remember your safety is more important than your property.

Yes, Tell the criminals that you cannot and will not resist... that will make those crime rates go down... yeah.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

How do you know the criminal has a weapon until you give him the opportunity to use it... and it may be to late once that happens. Why do you think the criminals have no fear..

At this time I wait for the reply of - "the human life of the criminal is worth more than the stuff he will steal"..... I know this is coming... of course the victims are psychic and KNOW that the criminal will or will not do them harm and KNOW if the criminal is armed or not and exactly what weapon he has... and KNOW that the intruder did or did not come with the express purpose raping your wife or child and of course that ESP working knows that murder is not the intent or the consequence of you being there (in your own house) if you are discovered. So thus you know that the criminal is not there to murder any or all of you". (NAIVE)

Council advises homeowners to leave sheds open for thieves

www.telegraph.co.uk...

My god.. demand the right to defend yourselves (at least in your own homes) without fear of prosecution! Thieves don't like deadly force used against THEM you know.. right now they have an open season pass to use any force they want on YOU and the rest of the public and you prosecute those who defend themselves... unbelievable.

I cannot understand it at all.

Sorry for the rant but it amazes me.... and it amazes me more that people actually think that THIS is a good idea for the US.... our thugs are 10 times more numerous and 20X more dangerous... I cannot imagine what life would be like if you were prosecuted for defending your home or self. Wait, I can and it is not pretty.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
[edit on 26-1-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Look at the 16,000 suicides in the states - that could have been halved if guns were not so readily available.

Like it or lump it, Europe is a Utopia in comparison. What's wrong with that?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

That is absolutely not true. Anyone who wants to kill themselves will do it. I've worked in the ER for quite awhile at a level II trauma center. The majority of suicides that come through are not from gunshots.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
there seems to be alot of this going on. do you suppose that the laws are so weak so that criminals have free reign in the cities. to create more terror and fear. and we go running to the government to save us???

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I don't understand how people can take the side of the criminal in cases like these. Instead of making the point of how the criminal shouldn't have broken into the house, you people bash the homeowner for blowing the criminal away.

How about the criminal take responsibility for his actions? How about the criminal not be such a useless piece of crap? How about the useless piece of crap criminal get a job like everyone else and buy the things he wants rather than steal them? I didn't realize that taking responsibility for your actions was such a novel idea. The lesson is fairly simple, don't break into someone's house and you won't be shot for it.

There is no excuse for breaking into someone's house and stealing the homeowner's possessions. Not only that, but the homeowner has no idea if the criminal intends on killing him or raping his wife or daughter.

I can absolutely guarantee that if anyone ever breaks into my house, they will be killed, no questions asked.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by alkali

That is absolutely not true. Anyone who wants to kill themselves will do it. I've worked in the ER for quite awhile at a level II trauma center. The majority of suicides that come through are not from gunshots.

Maybe not at your ER, but on a national scale, that is your countries medium.

The British E.R's are not experiencing this. Instead they deal with idiots who can't handle alcohol.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Got an email the other day that expresses my opinion on the matter succinctly. The picture doesn't download (and it really was worth a thousand words. LOL)

My next door neighbor wants to ban all

guns! Their house is not armed. To

respect their opinion I promise not to

use my guns to help protect them.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

As I said, people who want to kill themselves will find a way. Taking guns out of the picture won't deter someone who is suicidal. The only thing removing guns would do is make the suicides less bloody.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't own a gun, I live in TEXAS, I'm a Marine, and am quite capable with a firearm, I don't like loud noises, I have quite a variety of very very sharp knives and swords, didn't need them when my apartment was broken into. I didn't wake the neighbors either when I took the turd out with a with a blow to the throat, yes he died, and they found the body in a dumpster.
I think EVERYONE should be allowed to own a firearm and carry it. I was P.O'd about the cost to replace the window though. I am 6'4, 200lbs kickboxer, I have a sign in my window that says "Go ahead break in, I need the practice". Amazing how effective it is ( I've since Moved from that area, to a more rural one)

I have no qualms about taking a human life, the "herd" needs thinning anyways, besides I like the "practice", You have every right to break in to my home and take what you can, just as I have every right to use you as a practice dummy if I catch you.

I do not hunt animals, to me it's just no fun if they don't shoot back.........

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join