It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

home invasion thwarted by armed citizen.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by ANNED
Another one bites the dust.

You alway wonder how many lives these armed citizens save by shorting the criminal lives of these lowlife scum.

Times a gun has been used defence since Jan 2008:

www.pulpless.com...

Uh, how did they come up with that number? I went to the site but couldnt find the evidence.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
Well I do find it kind of weird how some americans think it's ok to kill a guy for trying to steal their TV... It's kind of frightening because it shows how much some of you value life. (I.E. less that a TV, whats that, 100 $ for a good one ? )

I agree with you to an extent,the Trouble is there are lots of guns in the USA.I feel lucky to live in a country were guns are hard to come by and that reason alone means an intruder in the house would not be as horrific as the potential outcome if I lived in the states.The worst we could have is a knifed up intruder,and I have seen off that threat years ago and am still around to type here.Now on the other hand if that man had a gun and I didnt then there is a good chance I wouldnt be typing today!

I do not like the idea of many americans owning guns,but I can see the reason in keeping them for home protection.As long as the owner keeps them safe and out of the way of kids then(if you live in the states)there fine to keep the family safe just incase an armed nutter comes in looking for trouble.family come 1st,and always will do-so if I lived in the states I too would pratice on the target range and keep a 9mm safely in the house just incase armed intruders break in.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Unit541

I'm just saying that the "shoot first ask questions later" seems to be a pretty irresponsible when the thing in your hand is made to kill. Warn the perp that you have a gun. Most people would just turn around and leave. Waiting in ambush as someone breaks down your door in order to get a clean head shot is plain criminal. If, once warned, the perp keeps on coming, then sure, plug him. But maybe not in the head. The point i'm trying to make is that I find nothing heroic about killing another man to protect your new stereo. Most burglars are there for the cash. Not to kill and rape. So glorifying the killing a man (which proves in any case how deconected with the reality of killing most of these gun whielders are) who will run away in the vast majority of case seems symptomatic of a sick wacko society.

Heroic is not true even if it would be portrayed that way.

You say why a man must pay his life for stealing lets say a T.V.

The reason is that "normal" people abide by societies rules in order to help make the world a better place in the scope of all things combined. A thief only inflicts upon these ideals.

Whether or not you think a person that commits illegal acts is a bad person, one thing that is almost always true is that most criminals do not help escalate the living style of society for the better at all.

Waving your gun at them and telling the criminal to get out will usually result in one of the following...

a) The criminal shooting you.
b) The criminal coming back wanting revenge.
c) The criminal just robbing another house.

You know what almost never happens?

The criminal sees the light and turns to a life of good. No reason to spare someone who will only go and do the same thing over.

I do not respect the life of those who want to hurt the life of others first hand. Yes there are turnarounds, but one must make a stance to where they stand or you end up with the fiasco the U.S is having right now with crowded jails and tax payers (You know, the WORKERS that help keep the economy afloat) paying for a persons life with their own hard earned money, to where the person they are paying for is doing almost nothing.

I think that the whole pro-life argument is lead by a group of self-centered radical religious zealots.

Why not support pro-choice? My choice to have some thing killed if it will ruin my life (potentially) and your choice to allow something to live that could ruin your life (such as death)?

May this man be blessed with good luck for supporting and actually using his rights. If you infringe on my life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness, then to hell with ya. I will support yours as long as it is mutual. You break the mutuality first YOU LOSE those rights.

And /rant off

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
[quoteThe worst we could have is a knifed up intruder,and I have seen off that threat years ago and am still around to type here.Now on the other hand if that man had a gun and I didnt then there is a good chance I wouldnt be typing today!

I do not like the idea of many americans owning guns,but I can see the reason in keeping them for home protection.As long as the owner keeps them safe and out of the way of kids then(if you live in the states)there fine to keep the family safe just incase an armed nutter comes in looking for trouble.family come 1st,and always will do-so if I lived in the states I too would pratice on the target range and keep a 9mm safely in the house just incase armed intruders break in.

So, are you trying to tell me NONE of the bad guys in Briton have guns? Its my understanding that violent crime is much more rampant in Britain and the citizens are upset because they have been disarmed?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry you don't like the idea of Americans owning guns, but thats the way it is and most of us will fight to keep that right.
Oh by the way - I wish you luck if you do come across a gun armed bad news Brit.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentMoulder
reply to post by whitewave

Sorry to hear your story. Too bad no one was around to corroborate your side of the story.

I had a witness AND the D-I-L admitted that she came to my home uninvited, unannounced, unexpected and unwanted.

Stuff like that happens all the time; when the perp becomes the victim. I must say, your "reach out and touch someone" line is hilarious. LOL.

If I hadn't broken my phone on her head I'd have been the one to call first. Cops here don't KNOW the law. They make it up as they go.

I hope you don't stress yourself too much. I'm a strong believer in Karma. Her's will come around to her 10 fold one day.

It already has. I started a thread on it called Karma and Consequences.

I won't EVER call the cops for anything again. I'll just deal with my own problems. Cops around here are more of a menace than the people breaking into your home. Thank God I'm white or they would have just tear-gassed the house and shot me as I came stumbling out choking for air.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well I do find it kind of weird how some americans think it's ok to kill a guy for trying to steal their TV... It's kind of frightening because it shows how much some of you value life. (I.E. less that a TV, whats that, 100 $ for a good one ? )

Interesting, if a CRIMINAL, breaks into my home, how do I know what that criminals intentions are? I guess I should just request that we have a nice little conversation, just so I can verify what the CRIMINALS intentions are.

Imagine, 2am and your family is sleeping all nice and sound. You hear someone breaking into your home so you decide to have a nice little chat with them such as the following. "Hello, how are you, nice to see you, would you like a soda or something? Are you here to take my tv? Would you like my help? Or are you here to rape/kill/maim me/my family? Please inform me of your intentions so I can make a decision as to how to defend my home and family." Criminal "oh I am just here to take your tv" Me "oh all right, need any help?" OR Criminal "oh I am just here to rape/kill/maim your family" Me "ok, just a sec, let me grab my gun so I can protect my family now that I know your intentions, unless you just wanna have a seat while I call the police who will protect my family and I."

Oh no wait, I already know what their intentions are. How do I know that? They BROKE INTO MY HOME. Proving without a doubt that they have unscrupulous intentions.

Or, we could make a law that requires criminals who just want to steal your tv wear blue jackets, and those who want to rape/kill/maim you wear red jackets. I am sure that the criminals will follow the law. Oh, wait they are already breaking laws in the first place, darnit.

Originally posted by vor78

Here's a simple rule: if you don't want to be shot, don't break into someone else's home. Its not that difficult to understand.

I tried to give you 20 stars for "Here's a simple rule: if you don't want to be shot, don't break into someone else's home. Its not that difficult to understand." But I can only give you one star, bummer.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon

So, are you trying to tell me NONE of the bad guys in Briton have guns? Its my understanding that violent crime is much more rampant in Britain and the citizens are upset because they have been disarmed?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry you don't like the idea of Americans owning guns, but thats the way it is and most of us will fight to keep that right.
Oh by the way - I wish you luck if you do come across a gun armed bad news Brit.

Erm, we aint up in arms about losing ours guns, we never had them in the first place. We aint like America, we have no need to bear arms every 5 minutes for whatever reason, under whatever influence.

The stats in the UK for death by gun crime is a microcosm in comparison to the US.

We don't have the PROBLEM.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I am about as far from a being a religious zealot as you can get. I think your position shows contempt for human life. The capital punishment should not be given for robbery, and it certainly should not be legal to carry out the sentence as juge, jury and executioner.

In your posts the words "me" and "I" come out a lot. I feel your point of view is very egotistical, you give yourself the right to deal out very definitive sentences to other people, because what matters to you is your own well-being, in defense of which you say you would have no qualms in killing others.

I have no problems with gun ownership. But keeping it in your bedside cabinet "just in case" is number one "fumble" for any responsible owner. In fact, I find it hard to believe that any responsible gun owner would have his gun within hands reach, loaded, and ready to use, as it was obviously the case for the maniac set as an example in this post. I also find it hard to see how a responsible gun owner could actually have his gun ready during a break-in, which generally happens very quickly.

(And to the guy who wants to compare us to territorial tigers...
. We are humans, not tigers. Our standards should be higher. Your teacher is sadly incompetant...)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
There was one story in the papers here a about two years ago where a perp broke into an old guy's home. He didn't have a gun but he did have an axe and decapitated the guy when the door was kicked in.

Sorry, but these people are in the right. Might be a smiley kind person but I'll shoot anyone trying to break into my home. Sorry to the lost possessions guy but one does not know the intentions of a person that is breaking in. If they do want a television talk to me about it and I'll help you find one legally. That is the way it works. Southern hospitality only goes so far.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Fascinating thread!

I'm don't own a gun, but I really am looking into getting my license. I figured it's my right, why not exercise it.

I've grown up a liberal, but like a lot of people, reality has hit me across the face and 'woken me up' so-to-speak.

I've realized there's a whole lot of BS going on in this country, and around the world. Some of the ideals I've held have turned out to be baseless, and one such ideal was gun control.

I've realized you cannot stop criminals from obtaining guns, and that gun control only hurts regular people.

I've also realized that our constitution is in very grave danger, as well as our rights, under the threat of tyranny from a larger and more-controlling government.

Now I have also realized that the 2nd Amendment is not only to protect onself and one's family, but also to guard as a last resort against tyranny.

I'm not really sure where to start though. I live in Massachusetts, which has some pretty harsh gun laws (I think), so I don't even know where to get a license or a firearm.

Also, should I join the NRA? Is that what you do when you want to own a firearm?

To the guy that said you don't have a gun violence problem in the UK. I recall reading a lot of stories from the Telegraph and the Star about knife violence being on the rise in Britain. I think that in the absence of guns, people will just find other weapons.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by JipStix]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

When you have a gun pointed at someone's head, and this person is not pointing a weapon at you, how is he threatening ? Why can't you just shout "Hands on your head, drop to the floor" ? Why shoot him ? And the vast majority of robberies are perpetrated for cash, not to rape and kill. Citizens with no training cannot appoint themselves officers of the law. Had this break-in victim been a policeman on service, he would have been charged for abusive use of his weapon.

Yeah, right. IF it had been a 'law enforcement officer', he would NOT have been charged, and perhaps high-fived. And you would never have heard about it. And they would have found a 'clean' weapon on the perp, 'proving' self defense. That is how it works in the real world. And I suspect that the best thing would be to shoot, bury, and not report the attempted burglary. But I live out in the country...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

It is not a comparison saying we are one another but one that has a broader meaning - that we all defend our "territory", whether it be with violence or words. All depends on the situation and calling this man incompetent based off of one analogy he used does not say much of you (Yes that comment is suppose to be ironic).

The whole egotistical comment does not have any merit. I support the choice one makes. That is what the gist of my entire post was about. Just because I use words such as "I" does not make it egotistical. The only view I am trying to push on you is to accept a persons choice to kill a man for intruding their personal home or letting that same man be. And yes, I will forever push my view on that matter because my view also allows your view to be okay.

I do not argue whether it is right or not to kill or shoot an intruder, I argue that whatever decision is made is okay. You on the other hand seem to be portraying it in an entirely different light. YOU think letting a person that could endanger your own life live is a good idea.

Just to note, I find it more "egotistical" saying the words "you" rather than "I". Being self-centered and speaking for oneself are not the same things.

Call me greedy and whatever words you want, but I value my life at an infinitely percentage higher than the person trying to kill me potentially.

Yes religious zealot could have been over the top

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

A serious word of advice to you. There are still states that you can buy guns without a permit, and even if they do require it, usually not at gun shows. Get an UNREGISTERED gun, unless you want to voluntarily give it away to a despot from Kenya.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If all these people mouthing off about shooting people had actually killed a man before, I don't think that they would be so sure of themselves...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Here's a question? Lets say that you don't shoot to kill. Lets say you shoot to wound. Do you know how many land-sharks (lawyers) are willing to take a case of negligence or "inability to work anymore?" against the perfectly law abiding citizen who was protecting their home? If someone breaks into your house, or your property, they have, in my opinion, waived all rights. Especially since lawyers can make you suffer for the rest of your life for only doing what is right. Police, and other officials are REQUIRED to announce themselves before and after breaking down a door, for just the reason of getting accidentally shot. Hell, most won't even break down a door for fear of getting shot in the instance that the homeowner Might not have heard them. And to the comment of "we aren't tigers, we are humans." What is wrong with having an appreciation for one's territory. You have worked hard for your things, your property. If someone breaks in, and notices you are awake, they will most likely kill you if they are at all seasoned veterans of the thievery trade. Witnesses are not appreciated at all. Lets say there's some kind of screw up, say the person claims to not hear the miranda, they miraculously get off scott free, and now know where you live, what you look like, and are pissed off at you. Now they are likely in it to Kill you. Does that really make me want to "spare" these rogues? In a word, NO. If you break down my door, you'd be lucky to get the hot lead. I might end up more inclined to put three feet of blade thru your chest and see if you share most living thing's fatal allergy to sharpened steel.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Sure some hard criminals are going to have guns,I dont live in the inner city but I spent a year in london studying music and never saw a gun or heard a gunshot.I guess i'm lucky

Us brits dont want or need guns,we frown upon idiots tooled up with blades-Most of us feel only cowards carry knifes,and would be livid if someone pulled a knife out on us!There always has been a knife culture in Britain with the Teds,Rockers,mods,ect carrying flick knifes(till they banned them)But on whole if one ignores the Daily Mails scare stories we are a very safe country to live in

anyway mate,we dont miss guns as we never realy had them.Sure I like others had high powered air rifles and messed around with them as teenagers but soon got bored of shooting targets and suddenly found it seemed very cruel to kill animals for fun.I think I did one summer holiday with an air rifle before finding it rather pointless and easy to hit targets and kill animals-since then I havnt been intersted.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JipStix
Fascinating thread!

I'm don't own a gun, but I really am looking into getting my license. I figured it's my right, why not exercise it.

I've grown up a liberal, but like a lot of people, reality has hit me across the face and 'woken me up' so-to-speak.

I've realized there's a whole lot of BS going on in this country, and around the world. Some of the ideals I've held have turned out to be baseless, and one such ideal was gun control.

I've realized you cannot stop criminals from obtaining guns, and that gun control only hurts regular people. I've also realized that our constitution is in very grave danger, as well as our rights, under the threat of tyranny from a larger and larger government. Now I have also realized that the 2nd Amendment is not only to protect onself and one's family, but also to guard as a last resort against tyranny.

I'm not really sure where to start though. I live in Massachusetts, which has some pretty harsh gun laws (I think), so I don't even know where to get a license or a firearm.

Should I join the NRA?

To the guy that said you don't have a gun violence problem in the UK. I recall reading a lot of stories from the Telegraph and the Star about knife violence being on the rise in Britain. I think that in the absence of guns, people will just find other weapons.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by JipStix]

Love your post! Conservative, liberal, or whatever someone may be, it only takes a rock to not be able to see that some very basic principles of our country are at stake that HAVE NO NEED TO BE.

Some things evolve with time and that is understandable. Some things do not have the slightest need to be changed, and one such object is the second amendment. The criminals will always be able to get a gun, if not just a deadly weapon. When laws are passed regarding this act the only people getting hit are patriots.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

You portray youself as a resposible gun owner. Tell me, if you are lying on your bed, can you get your hands on a loaded gun within say, ten seconds ?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I have no problems with gun ownership. But keeping it in your bedside cabinet "just in case" is number one "fumble" for any responsible owner. In fact, I find it hard to believe that any responsible gun owner would have his gun within hands reach, loaded, and ready to use, as it was obviously the case for the maniac set as an example in this post.

first you say this.

then you go on to say this...

I also find it hard to see how a responsible gun owner could actually have his gun ready during a break-in, which generally happens very quickly.

thats precisely why i have every gun in my home (including the one right next to my bed) loaded and ready to go, because things happen fast.
if i had to go to the closet, unlock the safe, open the ammo box, load the magazine, remove the trigger lock, insert the magazine, rack the slide and THEN move it may be too late. would i be able to live with myself if while i was fumbling in the closet my wife and my dog got shot? nosir.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Which makes you a particularily irresponsible gun-owner. A gun should be kept out of reach, and unloaded. You just proved you don't deserve to own a gun. Well done.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join