It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

home invasion thwarted by armed citizen.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541

The locked door, says "do not enter". This is the warning. Locking my door tells anyone who tries to open it that I do not want them to come in. Those that would perpetrate a home invasion are well aware that someone in the house may very well be armed.

Count yourself lucky Unit
here in the UK we have our "do not enter" signs but that is followed up by a sign that reads:
"if you do enter, I wont do [SNIP] because ... well ... I am not allowed to, here is my new TV, that thing cowering in the corner is my wife ... waiting for you. Biscuit with the cup of tea?"

The intruders in the US know that the occupant may be armed. Here in the UK they know the home owner will NOT be armed.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Excellent post.

There are places in Atlanta I wouldn't be caught there after dark,but on a whole the city is fairly safe. The murders and violent crime in those areas taint the numbers. It's not the guns it's the people. When guns are outlawed it would get even worse.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Have a new thread regarding legislation on this subject

HR 17 CITIZENS SELF DEFENSE ACT OF 2009

Fire the letters to washington!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

SPARTA, Tenn. -- A man wanted for home break-ins in as many as 10 counties picked the wrong house last week in White County.

Police said the burglar, Bryan Cook, 32, of Crossville, attempted to rob a house but was shot and killed by homeowner, Keith Girdley.

Girdley told authorities he arrived home Thursday morning to find Cook about to leave after breaking inside.

When he asked Cook what he was doing, he said the burglar pulled a gun from his waistband. That's when Girdley pulled out his own gun and shot the man.

excellent opening sentence.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by turbokid]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You know, I see a lot of people throwing out statistics about the amount of gun death in the USA. The fact is, is that the USA is not the worst for gun deaths per capita in the world. I think, if I remeber correctly, it's only 3rd or 4th. That is besides the point.
What I wanted to state was, that most gun deaths are probably of criminals; more than likely killed by other criminals. People have this image in their head whenever they see the words 'gun death', of a young child playing with dads pistol, or innocent couple mugged and shot in urban dystopia. But that isn't how it is. The vast majority of those that die from a gunshot are criminals. This is not a statistic that is readilly available, but is one that is well known to homicide investigators.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that every state keeps a record of those with a concealed carry license that commit a firearms, or unlawful wounding/killing. The statistics are findable online. When you look at somewhere like Texas, over a 10 year period, there was about 2 crimes by 2 million permit holders. I imagine there was a lot more deaths by the permit holders, but they were never charged, as the killing was lawfull! Meaning, they shot criminals. Which is awesome.
And while we are talking about Texas, since the concealed carry licence came into effect in 1995, the statistics have shown the murders by handgun dropped 18%! (Down from 838 in 1995 to 688 in 2004). The statisctics say that owning a gun stops crime. How come this is never ever mentioned in the media? If a police chief came up with an idea that dropped any crime by 18%, he would be hailed and promoted, and every other state would be adopting the same. Yet, here we have an 18% reduction in handgun murders because of civilians carrying arms, yet nothing...What a fantastic deterrent.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Turbokid,

Thanks for the stories you are posting. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading them.

Cruzion,

I have been thinking for some time now that the statistics are skewed for political reasons. Not only on the gun control debate..but for other issues as well. One must know a few other facts to see that there is something not quite right about the presentation of the stats.

I have also been told by several peoples who have taken statistics courses that, under skillful hands, statistics can be made to read almost anything desired. It is just a matter of skillfully presenting the numbers.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here's another case of it:

www.foxnews.com...

People out there are angry at it but ask yourself. A drunk guy comes to your house banging on the door for four minutes. He doesn't leave, he breaks a window and reaches in to unlock the door. What do you do? Sit there and wait while until he steps into the door and see what he wants? I know I'd be shooting as well.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In Colorado we have a "Make My Day" law also called "Castle Doctrine", the idea comes from the English Common Law which designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack.

The law gives a person the legal right to to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

en.wikipedia.org...

Many other states have the save thing.

I will take this law any day over one that tells me I should keep my shed unlocked to make things easier for criminals. What is next? Suggestions that every evening we put our things out on the curb for the criminals?

I don't necessarily agree that my door being locked is what tells someone not to enter my home. I don't care if my door is wide open, this is MY PROPERTY, MY HOME, MY CAR, MY THINGS and MY FAMILY. We work hard for what we have, we do so legally, and no one has a right to take that from us. So......make my day!

Creating laws that remove a person's right to defend these things will not stop criminals, it just puts law abiding citizens in danger. We have to completely change society to change criminals. We have to stop all these "war on" that we have to "love, compassion and help on" before things change. We have to get rid of poverty and assist people with medical care and education. These will be the things that stop criminals.

Peace

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

Amazed,

Exactly correct ..precisesly.

We work hard for what we have, we do so legally, and no one has a right to take that from us. So......make my day!

My sentiments exactly. And many of us work at great risk in addition to hard work for what we have.

I agree the line of thought of many on this thread is want to turn the world upside down in favor or the unscrupulous. This is turning light into darkness and attempting to pass darkness off as light.

As I stated earlier in a post on this thead...this trend of many illustrates clearly that our lives and risks are not valuable in this world if we cannot protect what we have and must risk over and over in hazardous occupations to re earn this property over and over again. This is politics gone awry.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 29-1-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You know if the "gun control advocates" had their way the bad guy would killed or hurt the guy sitting at home minding his own business. If more people defended themselves the crime rate would go down quickly I think.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

A 22-year-old Pascua Yaqui man is fighting extradition to Tucson on charges of first- degree murder in the attempted robbery of a neighborhood market Monday that ended in gunfire.

Police said the man, whose name is not being released until he is formally charged, and 18-year-old Raymond Martinez were trying to rob the Grand Market, 6250 S. Sixth Ave., when gunfire erupted.

Martinez fired at least one shot at a market employee and wounded him before the employee returned fire, fatally wounding Martinez, police said.

The employee, who is not being identified because he is a crime victim, was taken to a hospital and treated for a non-life-threatening wound.

Police said the robbery was gang related.
The 22-year-old is being held by Pascua Yaqui police on an unrelated warrant, said Sgt. Mark Robinson, a Tucson police spokesman.

A hearing will be held early next week to determine if the man will be extradited to Tucson, where he would face a first-degree murder charge under the felony murder law, Robinson said.

www.tucsoncitizen.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

You disgust me. seriously you devalue that girls life even more then any of these guys devalue the criminals lives if u think they should be rewarded for their deed. On top of that you claim to value life. I think those men who raped that girl value life more then u do. i understand where u come from when u say these people didn't have easy lives, but very few people on this earth do. But do all those people go out raping and murdering? You're type might say its wrong for you to kill someone over a tv, but its even more wrong and even less sensible, to kill someone cuz ur mom and dad didnt love you enough or some other bull# like that. And seriously if u love life so much, why not go kill urself? you're very existence is sustained only by ending and devouring the lives of others, even if their lives were less significant then yours?

As for the british people and their comment about policing our own first, i suggest u listen to urself and stop being a bigot.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Doctors
>
> (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
>
> (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are
> 120,000.
>
> (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.
>
> Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human
> Services.
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> Now think about this:
>
> Guns
>
> (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
>
> (Yes, that's 80 million)
>
> (B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all
> age groups, is
> 1,500.
>
> (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is
> .000188.
>
> Statistics courtesy of FBI

Maybe we should ban doctors instead of guns.

I'm being facetious, of course, but statistics do not always present an accurate picture of a given situation.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Whitewave,

Very interesting statistics. Not one normally brought to the attention of the general public.

It would raise to many questions. It would to me. It would not be what is called PC.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Of course not, OT. We're supposed to have a knee jerk reaction to doctors and their god-like status. Genuflect anyone?

We're also supposed to have a knee jerk reaction to guns. What all the propaganda tells me is that, despite all the new technologies that would effectively negate the usefulness of our guns, TPTB are still worried about us having them.

Maybe all their new technologies are not as all-powerful as we have been led to believe?

Oh! And don't even get me started on the number of deaths directly due to taking prescribed medications!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Whitewave,

You got me to remembering something which happened to me years ago when I wore the uniform of the US Air Force. I got some medicine from the doctors for my allergies. I was working on the aircraft radar in the shop and this is a very expensive piece of equipment and dangerous as well with some of the voltages on it. So of the two types of pills the doc gave me to try, I rationalized that I should take the small one ..it probably would not be that powerful or have weird effects as it was a lot smaller in size.

WRONG!!!!!!!!

Talk about a dummy!! How little did I know. I carried a very expensive frequency tracker to the bench and almost passed out on the way and came close to dropping this expensive equipment. I had to get someone else to take it and sit down.

Of course I no longer look at the potency of medicines by their physical size. Nor do I think the doctors are gods. They are just as fallible as the rest of us.

Agree about the number of deaths due to taking medications. I know people who carry a separate bag with them daily for their various medications..all prescribed for them. A regular pharmacy.

Agree again about the knee jerk reaction to guns. I don't get all excited when I see someone with a gun unless they obviously intend me harm.
Lots of guns in this area..yours too ...

To me there is something very immoral about a government which desires we pick up a gun to fight their dirty wars and yet not own one ourselves. That does not make good nonsense to me.
Also the type of work we do and the number of lives in our very hands ...and we cannot be trusted with a gun? What does this say about the basic insecurities of government ...state, local, and federal??

Thanks Whitewave,
Orangetom

[edit on 1-2-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Yes, your right in what you say. Right now, TPTB are fighting for their collective lives. They only fear one thing, those that know the truth about them, and those that know the truth are those who did a lot of searching and reading up on them. They know that they are doomed to fail, and are afraid of what will happen to them when they are pushed into the open. What are we to do with them? That, is a good question. Do we put them on display? Do we jail them for the rest of their lives? Do we put them up to a wall and end their lives? I say, none of the above. Why? Because if we do, then that makes us no better then they are. And we`re not, but, we are smarter then they are. They are nothing but scared, spoiled little children who could not have their own way, and are out of touch with reality, because they have lived within the one that they were trying to make all these years, and it backfired on them. Many are going to disagree with me, and that is fine. But think about this..........even though we think of ourselves as being seperate individuals, were not, on the inside. We all came from one place.

Their time wil come to pay back the things they stole from everyone. It`s not our place to do the dirty work for them, they will do that themselves. Just like the things we are going through at this time, we fear this. We fear the unknown, and why is that? Because many are not wise enough to look at the overall picture of this reality. Many are, and many think they are. It`s the many that are, who will agree that we have nothing to fear. The ones who think they know, are the ones who spread the fear that we don`t need. Keep this all in mind as time goes on. Yes, we will have some major problems to go through, but, that does not mean we will die in the end. My grandparents, and parents went through it back in the thirties, and they all made it out alive. The reason many think we won`t is because of the fact that they have been spoon feed all of their lives, and never had to fend for themselves. Well, get use to it I say, the hard times are not even rolling good yet. So roll up your sleeves and get ready to take on what is thrown our way. It may be tough, but, we will make it in the end. And then again, it may not end up being as bad as one may think. If we put our collective heads together, we can find a way through all of this without to much damage. These times will only be as hard as what we will make them out to be.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by FiatLux]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
To me there is something very immoral about a government which desires we pick up a gun to fight their dirty wars and yet not own one ourselves.
Also the type of work we do and the number of lives in our very hands ...and we cannot be trusted with a gun? What does this say about the basic insecurities of government ...state, local, and federal??

Exactly! I am literally responsible for the very lives of the people I care for. They live or die because of my skill, character, talent, attentiveness, etc.

Many of these people for whose lives I take responsibility spit on me, hit me, threaten my life, deliberately excrete their contaminated body fluids on me, talk to me like a dog; and the list goes on. Yet I have never taken a pillow and snuffed out their miserable lives. I have continued to foster, care, RISK for them. Total strangers.

Yet somehow I don't have the character or self-restraint necessary to know when to fire a gun? As mentioned earlier, I have been under actual attack with someone intent on killing me with an ax and didn't fire on them.

What gun control does is set apart/divide people into groups: the haves and the have nots. Those of us who are expected to give up our right to defend ourselves have fewer rights than those who are not expected to give up their guns (military, etc.).

The U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled in a landmark case that police do NOT have an obligation to protect and serve the individual who calls them screaming that a doped up gang of armed thugs has breeched the security of one's home intent on harm.

The police have an obligation to the STATE, not the individual. They are for riot control, revenue gathering, etc. They are not in place for our protection.

When guns are outlawed, the law-abiding people are on their own as only the government goons and lawless citizens will have them. I don't know about the rest of you but I trust my character and self-restraint a lot more than I trust that of the government goons and lawless citizens.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Our grandparents had character, a value system based on moral absolutes, a deep and abiding faith in a Creator. Look at this generation. Do we have any of that?

Yes our Nation has been through trying times before but we were a Nation of individuals, not a collective in the global system.

In Grandpa's day, everyone had a gun or at least access to one. You could depend on your neighbors to help save your family and farm. How about now? Not so much.

In Grandpa's day there were not terrifying technologies available, FEMA camps, coffins by the train load, weaponized smallpox, weather control, HAARP, etc. Now? The individual is in a world of trouble.

Admittedly, guns aren't going to be a lot of help against the above obstacles but they will be a great deal of help against the neighbors who, instead of helping you save family and farm, intend to rob you blind and kill you.

I'd like to chime in with Rodney King and beg for us all to "just get along" but I don't see that happening any time soon. Eventually, when people are weary of war, yes, but until then, the transition is going to be ugly.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Bravo..Bravo Whitewave,

Well said..well said. I can add little to what you have so succinctly stated here.

I am not sure I would survive your job as far as putting up with such peoples. I have enough difficulty in my own profession in dealing with what wildlife enters this arena.
I salute you for your patience and longsuffering.

Somewhere in the last 10 years or so I became aware that the general protection of the public is not the job of the local constabulary..but instead..the security of the state. This has worried me many times since then when reading the local, state, and national news.

I too, trust my character, restraint, and skills more than a politically oriented and goaled government goon/puppet.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 1-2-2009 by orangetom1999]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join