It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi says birth control will help the economy.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Mynaeris

You seem to be turning this into an illegal alien issue rather than what Pelosi said.

Does Pelosi's comments only apply to the illegals?

What about the adolescent population and the poverty population?

You mignt be selective in what you are choosing to read in my posts. In fact I posted about bad parents and illegals and welfare parents. I also said that I could see it should apply to citizens BUT my main point was that there are bigger crises in this country to be throwing money at rather than hundreds of millions towards birth control, which is pretty much covered at most schools. As well as millions to assist with birth control and abortions in foreign countries.

I respect that we disagree, but I believe that I am addressing the issue in an fiscally sound fashion.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You could also insist that people on welfare have to be on birth control

If a woman has a right to have an abortion, how can you force one to take a form of birth control?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I am in 100% agreement with your ideas. In fact if taken to a referendum I would vote for it.

reply to post by jam321

I think asmeone2 has already addressed that one for you on this thread.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Should have read one more sentence.

"But we are already doing it and we the tax payer are footing the bill so why not make them take birth control, and drug tests."

But I agree.

I just think it is about time we start looking for other ways of doing things instead of just throwing money at every problem.

It seems that's the governments solution to every problem.

"WE"RE IN A CRISIS!!!!!!! QUICK!!!!!!!! THROW MONEY AT IT AND HOPE IT GOES AWAY!!!!!!!"

That seems to be the general thought pattern of our politicians.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
COnsidering that it costs about $2 at most for a condom and upwards of $5000 for the state to pick up the tab of supporting mother and child through a pregnancy, I can get her logic....

But if it only costs about $2 a condom, then in my opinion that is a reasonable cost for anyone to be able to afford birth control.

I would bet that the very people who are costing the system money and should be buying condoms, can forgo their cigarettes or sodas or junk food and buy a box of condoms.

Problem is, people are CHOOSING not to use it. So pumping all that money into this, is a waste IMO.

And really, I'm already sick of me having to pay for other people's irresponsible behavior.

[edit on 1/25/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Is Pelosi serious? Yes, drop dead serious, I fear, if you get my drift. This is nothing but another acknowledgement that she wants "Planned Parenthood clinics to rule as we perpetuate more and more a culture of death in the US. The 1960s mentality is now the alarming spectre before us and....yikes!! (One could have said in Europe in the 1930s that getting rid of Jews was an economic enhancement. That is how Hitler saw it when he read such culture of death-type literature.) I mean really! Is this why China is going to surpass us economically in the next ten years? It is the size of their population that will prove decisive, even with their own artificial birth control methods. The USA and Europe cannot afford to do so! Actually, it is the reverse of what Pelosi is advocating. Our economic stimulus and potential will decline as we shrink the population base. We are already going to have problems paying out Social Security because of birth control and shrinking families to help support the tax base and revenue needed to sustain present retirement now and beyond. How could Pelosi's notion help that just for starters? But in the end, Pelosi is listening to the logic of death where less life and life potential in the gene pool means a better, healthier, creative, booming economy. Well, instead that is an economy which will shrink and wither as the US potential for fruitful and productive and liberating life is artifically curtailed. Of course, be mindful that what she really wants is a new impetus to the abortion-producing industry which goes hand in hand with these unbridled ideas.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by asmeone2
COnsidering that it costs about $2 at most for a condom and upwards of $5000 for the state to pick up the tab of supporting mother and child through a pregnancy, I can get her logic....

But if it only costs about $2 a condom, then in my opinion that is a reasonable cost for anyone to be able to afford birth control.

I would bet that the very people who are costing the system money and should be buying condoms, can forgo their cigarettes or sodas or junk food and buy a box of condoms.

Problem is, people are CHOOSING not to use it. So pumping all that money into this, is a waste IMO.

And really, I'm already sick of me having to pay for other people's irresponsible behavior.

[edit on 1/25/2009 by greeneyedleo]

It is a difficult question to answer.

Gut instinct is to say, get the government out period... but I do not think that will happen so I am commenting on ways to improve the system.

I think that people are more likely to use BC if it is free, especially if a social stigma crops of for not using it.

If we must "throw money at the problem" I would rather see it go to somethign that can actually prevent untimely births.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Birth control, bring it on! If I was running things, there would be mobile spay and neuter trucks plying the neighborhoods. In general, who breeds the most? We all know the answer even if some of use deny it. Hint: it's not the rocket scientists. We just had a woman at work pop out yet another one. She already has at least one kid. The problem is, "our future" was born early and only weighs 2 pounds. The odds are stacked against this child being normal if it lives. The kid is in a neonatal ICU sucking up thousands of dollars a day, while and down the road is Rice University that's missing a student because of a lack of funds.

Anyone who still thinks birth control won't help the economy is invited to tour the labor and delivery ward at the Harris County Hospital in Houston. It's a baby FACTORY, all paid for with taxes.

I'm really going to get flamed, but if you can't pay for it, don't have it. If you don't have above average intelligence, a stable life, and normal emotional development, don't breed. Call it a sacrifice for the Greater Good. We've got plenty who are just along for the ride and not enough who know how to design, make, and maintain the train.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

I see no problem with this statement or concept--thinking outside of the box at ways to decrease expenditures. Unintended pregnancies are a massive drain on the economy--from health care, education, social security, crime, and god knows what else. It's not like she is talking about China policies, but only helping reduce those that are not intended.

delius

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Why should my tax dollars go to pay for someone else's condoms! If you are going to have sex, go buy your own condoms. Sorry, if you are either to lazy or too stupid to go and buy condoms then you deserve what you get.

This plan is completely ridiculous. People need to start taking responsibility for their own lives. My tax dollars should not be used to make sure someone is being careful with their own sex life. If you can't afford condoms, then don't have sex. Pretty simple (free) solution.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Pelosi is a flake. I had the unfortunate luck to have to sit across from her for about an hour and a half one afternoon about 2 years or so ago. She had that ignorant grin on her face the whole time and her face never moved or changed. She just kept grinning. It was the freakiest dang thing I have ever seen in my life. Seriously.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
It has been statistically shown that the uneducated are the ones most likely to procreate whereas those who inherit the smart gene or have symmetrically proportioned facial/body features are more likely to not want to have kids. In America, even if you are not citizen, if you give birth in the USA, the child gets granted citizenship... hence the reason why so many immigrants pour into the borders popping kids left and right.
As our planet is already overpopulated with people, the last thing we need more of is people draining earths valuable resources. Added to the fact that jobs are in decline, recession is in the air, it is detrimental that population control be enforced to prevent crime and poverty in the future of our next generation.

It is our god given right to procreate... but it is absolutely essential that those who do want to have children have the means to support the child. People want, need and desire without thinking about the consequence. I hear women say "I want kids because they will love me forever" or "I want kids, so they can look after me when I get old" "I want kids because they are so adorable and gives me somethin to do" or "I want kids because that way, I can trap my man for support and Ican be a stay at home mom" All these statements are ego-centric and revolves around selfish intentions...these are the type of people who should not be allowed to breed.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As if the person that maybe created will never work and pay taxes ever, yeah right! Give me a break. The investment to create a child happens to be about $100,000 at least until 18. Now if that person generates a million in a lifetime of employment, how do we not profit? Seems absurd to argue that we don't need people to have kids, maybe a new baby boom could help the economy, it sure did during the baby boom.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by bubbabuddha]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Funny, and here I thought that the government needed more heads to sap taxes from.

What would really help the economy is perhaps having a legit president and an actual legit government free from lobbyists.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by butterballs8

Did you ever think that maybe life appears to have meaning only if you can share it with others? Seems to make sense to me, and explains a massive amount of the reasons why people have such a hard time understanding who they are and where they are going and where they come from. I think Pelosi must be on meds or something, she looks like a drug dealer pawn to me and her rhetoric sounds like Sir Francis Galton and the eugenics brigade.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You sat across from Pelosi for an hour and a half? Oh, my God!

You must have great control over your gag reflex!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If pregnancy is covered, birth control should be, too.
In some clinics you can get the pill for free, but it has a standard hormone ratio and is really bad for some women (like myself)
The good versions are more expensive, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You did not get to hear her complete comment. She said birth control for Mexico will help the economy.

Note: The preceeding was not real. But I hope it was.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think providing birth control is a good idea...

BUT I do not think attaching this to the financial bill BS is responsible on behalf of the DEMS. Even though I voted for that one does not mean I agree with this move, especially the timing. The bill, IF passed should be for one thing, not side issue...

YOU see even OBAMABOTS can be critical of their PRES -

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well I am truly divided in this one,

First I wonder also like another poster said about pelosi having some high interest in the big pharma industry.

Also why stop women from having births and then allow our borders to be wide open for illegal immigrants to come to the states and start pooping their brats in American soil.

Sorry but I always find the so call anchor babies a sore spot in our nations immigration control.

Then again I can not say that, it could not be a good idea after all what a poor young girl with a unwanted and unplanned pregnancy can expect in a nation that is falling into decay economically and with a precarious deficit that will affect social programs.

Nothing short of a life of poverty for her and her child.

But then again who is Pelosi to tell American women to get in the pill while no addressing other factors that has to do with the growing population in the nation.

Sometimes I wonder where this politicians have for brains.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join