It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi says birth control will help the economy.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Am I the only one who feels like they are living inside some bizarre scientific experiment? Is President Obama just randomly spending money in the hope that he will finally hit on a project that stops the economic crisis?

"Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

I wonder if Pelosi has any financial investments in the birth control industry?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
COnsidering that it costs about $2 at most for a condom and upwards of $5000 for the state to pick up the tab of supporting mother and child through a pregnancy, I can get her logic....

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Not wanting to stir the pot here but how will this help with the population explosion taking place among the illegals? Or is the intent to create a negative population growth of american citizens?

According to a recent Pew Hispanic Center report it is estimated there were about 5 million children in illegal immigrant households in 2005—and about two-thirds of them had been born in the United States.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It's probably part of the depopulation conspiracy. Make birth control more available and less babys. Less babys less people.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Condoms are free if you have a child in school. The nurse gives them out like candy for free!! My girls used to blow them up and hang them up like balloons in their bedroom. lol. all kinds of colors and textures. Damn, that middle girl shoulda used one of those condoms, twice. lol. But, sure, it's good for the economy to issue condoms from Planned Parenthood, Inc. but abortion, yikes! How good is that for the soul? Less births means less strain on the social system finances in the U.S. Yes, Mynaeris, I, too, feel like I am living in a great experiment. But, hey, many politicians, Obama included, have refered to the U.S. as a great experiment in democracy.

link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Not wanting to stir the pot here but how will this help with the population explosion taking place among the illegals? Or is the intent to create a negative population growth of american citizens?

It probably won't, since everysperm is sacred and all that, but it doesn't negate how desperatly the natural citizens need BC as well.

Don't confuse the two, what kind of argument is that, "No one should have access to birth control because the illegal demographic won't use it?"

These are 2 sepparte issues... we should not restrict access BC for our citizens and at the same time we should enforfce our borders and nix the ancor baby laws.

link   
Well atleast they're pushing something good as opposed to anything else they could stick in that bill.

Better than SPAM.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The fewer people using my family's future potential resources, the better.

No one should kid themselves and act as if we need more people on this planet. I imagine every new birth will exponentially make my bloodline's chances for easy survival a bit harder/smaller.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I think the people should say to Obama , "Hey Mr President we humored you with your appointments of weapon lobbyists, nobel prize winners, Israeli sympathizers, handing out money to mismanaged banks like you had a note printing machine at home, but come on dude isn't it time to get serious with the policies the people on the ground are bleeding. You can experiment later.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Pelosi has some really strange ideas. Birth control.

If only her parents had diligently practiced the same.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

It probably won't, since everysperm is sacred and all that, but it doesn't negate how desperatly the natural citizens need BC as well.

Don't confuse the two, what kind of argument is that, "No one should have access to birth control because the illegal demographic won't use it?"

These are 2 sepparte issues... we should not restrict access BC for our citizens and at the same time we should enforfce our borders and nix the ancor baby laws.

Sorry but I think you missed the argument I was putting forward, you can't solve the problem simply by saying well if you have fewer people, when 10% of this nation currently are illegal and illegals have approx 1.5 times as many children as any other grouping in the USA. Putting the USA on a negative population growth doesn't help if you aren't stopping another 20 million from entering the country next. Surely it makes economic sense to stop the crisis at the worst spots first? Who blocks the small holes and leaves the big ones to flood until later?

Originally posted by dooper
Pelosi has some really strange ideas. Birth control.

If only her parents had diligently practiced the same.

Yeah both her parents and herself - Nancy Pelosi has five children.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have a brilliant idea.

Instead of spending money to save money how bout looking at all the social programs we have now and attack those. I can think of a few things that can save money immediately.

For example. Limit the time you can be on welfare we can even be grossly lax such as you can be on welfare for 1 year and if you don't have a job then you get cut off. When you do find a job the amount of money decreases each month for 6 months.

Quit giving more money to people depending on how many babies they have. Which means you get enough to support one child, you have another child to bad so sad.

That is just two off the top of my head that would save billions a year.

Edit to add -

I am pro-choice: You have the choice to wrap it up, or not spread your legs.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Sorry but I think you missed the argument I was putting forward, you can't solve the problem simply by saying well if you have fewer people, when 10% of this nation currently are illegal and illegals have approx 1.5 times as many children as any other grouping in the USA. Putting the USA on a negative population growth doesn't help if you aren't stopping another 20 million to enter the country. Surely it makes economic sense to stop the crisis at the worst spots first?

I do not dispute at all that we need to stop II and stop the welfare incentives to have mor children, but we also need to encourage birth control use.

Out own citizens also need that. That is what you ar emissing in my argument--we Americans will benefit from it too!

If we must "throw money at the problem" it makes more sence to encourage birth control than to pay for taking her through her term, birthing the child, their postnatal checkups, and any welfare they might incur after that.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I like those a lot!

You could also insist that people on welfare have to be on birth control until they find jobs?

Parents who grossly neglect or abuse their children also must be prevented from having more.

How would you plan to enforce a policy like that with american citizens? I believe most of them already have access to birth control, so this doesn't seem like an answer. But of course in principle it has to be a universal family planning program - remembering that abortion isn't really birth control.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Is Pelosi still around?
Isn't it time for her to be on her way?

Birth control is a good thing -
Empowering and educating women is too.
An empowered, independent, educated woman -
thinks twice about having too many children.
Especially when a culture doesn't support being conscious of this.
She has to believe that bearing children is not THE only reason she is here.
She has to believe that she has value outside of having children.
She has to believe that she has other opportunities -
and that children that she cannot afford - are a detriment.
Change the thinking. Educate and build up the woman.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Some people will try to argue that it is a free country and you can't force people to do something they don't want to do.

My counter argument is that they don't have to be on welfare. So I don't see why not. The government has been encouraging bad behavior for way to long.

I don't see the problem with them having to be on birth control I mean they are asking for government assistance which means that they can't even provide for themselves, so how can they take care of a child also.

The only real problem I have with that though is that your giving the government power over peoples lives and that I disagree with.

So I don't know. But we are already doing it and we the tax payer are footing the bill so why not make them take birth control, and drug tests.

Another addition to it could be that if you want to continue to receive welfare after your year has expired you can work cleaning up trash along side the roads or any other menial work for the same check.

And of course once you receive welfare you can apply for and receive it again until after a certain amount of time as elapsed such as 2 years.

edit - spelling

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You seem to be turning this into an illegal alien issue rather than what Pelosi said.

Does Pelosi's comments only apply to the illegals?

What about the adolescent population and the poverty population?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

How would you plan to enforce a policy like that with american citizens? I believe most of them already have access to birth control, so this doesn't seem like an answer. But of course in principle it has to be a universal family planning program - remembering that abortion isn't really birth control.

What, specifically? Illegals or BC?

For illegals we would have to get rid of anchor baby policies, get rid of "Not breaking up a family" policies, stop the "sponsoring citizenship" program, make it illegal for anyone to get a job, house, welfare, bank account, buy a house, credit card, ect, if they arent' a legal citizen and have zero tolerance for violators.

For BC I would start with your ideas--make it mandatory on welfare. I would stop this BS of doctors and pharmacists being allowed to refuse to fill BC prescriptiosn if they want to. I would, if we must keep insurance policies around, put discounts for woman who use BC and do not conceive. I would emphasise that it is just as much the man's responsibility to take part in preventing a pregnancy. Those are soe ideas off the top of my head.

Remember that without BC there are a lot more unwanted pregnancies... thus many more abortions.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

The only real problem I have with that though is that your giving the government power over peoples lives and that I disagree with.

I think that if the person is going to ask the government to step in and pay their bills, they waive their right to complain about the government interfering with their life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join