It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British have something to say to us Americans!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
...don't get me wrong the Magna Carta is sweet and the U.S. certainly was influenced by it and still refer to it at times in Court....but it isn't a "Constitution" Your legal system (assuming your British) is based on Common law. We sure relied on it for a long long time and still do to some extent, in some circumstances, I would say maritime law is still to this day, almost entirely common law.

OOOOPS....I am only refering to England....not Great Britian.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

England and Scotland are part of Great Britain, it is the constitution of Great Britain - that is also the UK for those who don't know their UK geography / History.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The UK is not Switzerland, but it shows us that guns are not the problem, it's the people/government.

In a civilized society, there is no reason why responsible people should not be allowed to own firearms, as long as it's properly regulated.

The people and the government I agree are the problem and that is why regulation is a problem. The only real reason for a government to want to know what weapons a citizen has is to know what weapons to take away. Only the law abiding citizen is going to relinquish that sensitive information anyway. The criminal is not. So what difference does it make? It only puts the good guy at a disadvantage.

BTW: Citizens should be allowed to exercise their right to posses any military firearm. That is the only way a free people can remain free in a time of martial law. Remember, a government is to fear its people, not the other way around. Do you Brits fear your government? You should!

You should also be concerned with your American brethren loosing their 2nd Amendment right because then the NWO takeover will be near. A forceful takeover of a people in the name of tyranny will not happen elsewhere until this step materializes. It would counter any momentum gained in this pursuit in the U.S because Americans would remember the purpose for their amendment and cling to their guns more than ever.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by TheDarkNight]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
What a warped sense of what Britain is, a camera on every corner don't be ridiculous theres tons of cameras in city centres and financial districts yes but most the country live in towns and round the outskirts of the city centres other than a speed camera there literally isnt cctv within miles of my home if there is its well hidden. Whats the obsession with guns anyway i dont live my life with this massive paranoia that someone wants to break into my house and kill me, are Americans really this scared of their own society and government. Theres no point preaching your own fears onto others just because they dont see the world quite how you do.

on the NEAHIN website its says this : American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States.

even with the difference in populations that is still a massive difference

Its also says that everday more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.

This is the site im on about
www.neahin.org...

I dont know if thats a legit site which is why ive posted it, i cant verify there statistics so ive no idea if there accurate, but if there even close, you can keep your gun culture christ if i was American it's not a gun id want it's a 60 foot steel wall around my property. Or is this a warped sense of America ive got.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
Comrads, those British people are telling it like it is, never ever give up your guns, and "Never Ever" elect any official into office that wants to take away your guns.

The British people are suffering a terrible tyrrany nowadays without having guns, crime has gone way up, and they have cameras on every street corner watching their every move. Don't elect officials into office that want to put traffic cameras up, or soon you will have cameras everywhere and pretty soon you will realize that you are inside their outside prison.

I want to add, this is ALL completely wrong.
Away from city centres, there are no cameras. City centre crime by young hoodlums is down thanks to the cameras. A vast number of people in the UK are pleased to see the CCTV, it HAS made and is MAKING our communties safer.

1984 - George Orwell? Nah, I'd be more concerned with all our internet usage as opposed to cameras watching us.

If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem?

RussianScientists, give us a break in the UK will you? Do you live here?
To use words such as tyrrany is just, well, thumbs down.

[edit on 26/1/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

England and Scotland are part of Great Britain, it is the constitution of Great Britain - that is also the UK for those who don't know their UK geography / History.

We dont have a constitution bruv, never have, the closest thing we have is the Magna Carta, and how many people in the UK have ever heard of that?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder why Britain hasn't had a revolution yet... their liberties are going away faster than they are here in the US. It's always been a debate about why the 2nd Amendment was included in the Constitution and the exact meaning of it, since it is so vague. I believe the purpose of the Second Amendment was for yes... self defense, but most importantly to be able to over throw their Government if it gets to being corrupt. I think the founding fathers knew the importance of the people having access to the same arms as everyone else, so that in the face of invasion or government tyranny they could defend themselves. Actually there wasn't any standing peace time military until WWII. The founding fathers probably wanted the people and the militias to be the protectors of the US.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i believe people should have the freedom to be armed. after all if the criminals have guns then so should we.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
SAS, you stole my thunder.
to my other friend, yes I know what makes up the UK. That is why I caught myself and said I was refering to "England" only. I only could assume that Scotland didn't have one either, but I wasn't going to proclaim that since I didn't know for sure.
I also was under the impression that Great Britain was akin to the United States and that each Country there might have some form of federalism like we do in the United States. Ie, your own types of constitutions or laws like each of our States do.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I have asked a lot of law enforcement, FBI, local law enforcement and the like, and they say, "The armed citizen is the first / best response to crime.

They know they can't be everywhere all the time, cameras just film your death and then they try to find the guys who did you in.

If you don't want to own a gun, fine, but don't even try to take mine from me.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmall89
I believe the purpose of the Constitution was for yes... self defense, but most importantly to be able to over throw their Government if it gets to being corrupt.

The people do that by voting them out. If tyrrany is a factor, then contingency plans are in place not only by the miltary, but also the monarchy. We have the best safety measures in place - IN THE WORLD.

Tis why we don't have a problem with gun culture - as big as the US.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spencer Tracy
I have asked a lot of law enforcement, FBI, local law enforcement and the like, and they say, "The armed citizen is the first / best response to crime.

They know they can't be everywhere all the time, cameras just film your death and then they try to find the guys who did you in.

If you don't want to own a gun, fine, but don't even try to take mine from me.

Lol, in the UK that will read "The armed policeman is the first / best response to crime".

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SASAlbertino

We dont have a constitution bruv, never have, the closest thing we have is the Magna Carta, and how many people in the UK have ever heard of that?

They may not have heard of it, but is it not even to this very day, a safety measure for protecting the people from parliament and government? It's what made Britain what it is, surely.

The magna carta is respected to this day.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Yeah voting is great if the Government isn't corrupt. What we're dealing with is corrupt Governments not listening to it's people and taking away civil liberties. If the Government takes away the peoples guns, whats next? The right to vote? Did you really want bailouts? Did the majority of the US want it? No, but yet someone who voted for it has gotten into the most powerful position in our Country. Not to mention half the people in the senate who voted for it are still in. I'm not saying we should all get out on the street with our guns and raise hell, we should protest peacefully until we no longer have a choice. Like the founding fathers. By having the right to bear arms it puts some humility into those in control of our Country. When the Government no longer fears the people, the people no longer control the Country.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Yes and they are voted out the next election.

Fortunately, we have a system in place which eliminates corruption at election time. There are so many safety nets in place, to save us from corruption you refer to.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yeah I agree we do have a lot of safety nets, but there are a lot of ways for people to get around them too. Rome used to have a Republic like America, but it was later replaced by an Emperor. The Second Amendment does serve a purpose and should not be infringed upon. Just because you get rid of guns doesn't mean you get rid of violence. Anything can be used as a device to inflict harm on another. Getting rid of guns wont fix anything, but only fuel a fire for Revolution.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Look people, I'm new to this site and I've just been checking things out.

Lots of good comments and all, but I haven't read all the threads yet on this subject, but anytime you decide to defend you life you ALWAYS shoot to KILL,never,never and never shoot to maim or wound.

The madness behind this thought is, that you never admit to wanting to take the persons or intruders life, but only admit the desire to stop his aggression.

either way you cut this pie (killing) or (maiming) you will most certainly be sued in civil court by some hungry family members that are just waiting to take advantage of their poor loved ones demise..!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by carollou3

Then counter claim / sue for the family not keeping an eye out for the idiot. Make them responsible.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If there ever was an 'invitation' to a police State, it is the act of taking away the means for one to defend themselves.

Self-defense is an inalienable right. Once taken away, one is an alien unto justice itself.

Did David go toe to toe with Goliath?

What is the 'moral' of the story and where does it apply today?

Truth is timeless.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yea, easier said than done. We all know that the system is bent on protecting the criminal not the victim!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join