It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused about swastika symbol on freemason war memorial - WWI.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
A few years ago i found out that the swastika had other significance to various religions and civilizations spanning thousands of years. So to me then, this sybol used by people pre-war was a sign of good rather than bad.

history1900s.about.com...

What i do find confusing, and i hope someone can enlighten me, is why would this be a symbol used by freemasons. In the below link you will find a picture taken at Sheffield Cathedral. The picture is of one of the pews made as a memorial to freemasons who lost their lives in WWI. There are other freemason symbols on the other pews, but this one is of a swastika. Its pre WWII so i would think means good (someone had told me it depends on the direction, but i couldn't find anything to back that up) Anyone know anything on this?

flickr.com...

[edit on 25-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Swastika

The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period. It occurs mainly in the that are in modern day culture of India, sometimes as a geometrical motif and sometimes as a religious symbol. It remains widely used in Eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit word svastika (in Devanagari, स्वस्तिक), meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck. It is composed of su- (cognate with Greek ευ-, eu-), meaning "good, well" and asti, a verbal abstract to the root as "to be" (cognate with the Romance copula, coming ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European root *h1es-); svasti thus means "well-being." The suffix -ka forms a diminutive or intensifies the verbal meaning,[dubious – discuss] and svastika might thus be translated literally as "that which is associated with well-being," corresponding to "lucky charm" or "thing that is auspicious."[1] The word in this sense is first used in the Harivamsa.[2]

[edit on 25-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
from what i have read Hitler was well into the occult and symbolism etc and decided on this design for the Nazi's as some kind of good luck charm against his enemies while in battle......

I believe he sent scouting parties into Tibet and relatd area's looking for esoteric knowledge of the ocult in order to gain some kind of advantage in war......

If you do a search on google video you will find a couple of doco's about this stuff

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks, but i already know about that (see my link), but i was confused to why a freemasonry memorial to WWI using the symbol and its in a cathreal. There is another thread on here ATS that linked to a video about Alchemy, freemasons and Cathedrals, is this connected in anyway?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I kind of found it ironic also. This is a swastika on a war memoria WWI, to Freemasons, in a cathedral. The War that followed after contained this symbol. Just found it weird.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Again, this is from WWI, so Hitler or WWII isn't even related to this memorial.
Thanks anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was watching a documentary on "The Secret Towers of the Hymalayas" about a week or 2 ago and saw a symbol of swastikas in a Tibetan ladies residence. The symbol looks backwards.Maybe the way tey change the outside lines portrays different meaning? I'm not sure.

The narrator says it is a symbol which means "PERMANANCE"

In the video at 2:30 secs you will see the symbol then at around 2:45 is when the narrator states its meaning.

[edit on 25/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Couldn't see the video (link nor working), but the meaning of permanance would fit i suppose with it being a memorial.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Just found a good sight. Claims the meanings are different for many of the cultures.

www.theosophy-nw.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
maybe be-cause the bodies intermigled,

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Great Link thankyou. Well, this is the same direction as the Nazi one, but it would be interesting to know what the symbol means to freemasons (see other ATS thread I linked earlier on the Great cross and the end of time. Took the below extract from your link:

from Theosophical Glossary: Svastika (Sk.). In popular notions, it is the Jaina cross, or the "four-footed" cross (croix cramponnee). In Masonic teachings, "the most ancient Order of the Brotherhood of the Mystic Cross" is said to have been founded by Fohi, 1,027 B.C., and introduced into China fifty-two years later, consisting of the three degrees. In Esoteric Philosophy, the most mystic and ancient diagram. It is "the originator of the fire by friction, and of the 'Forty-nine Fires'."

source:
www.theosophy-nw.org...

From the info in your link, i did abit of googling and found this site.

Scroll to the part entiletled Hilter and germany and read down from there, it mentions freemasons and the brootherhood of the mystic cross :

www.kanaanministries.org...

Now, i find that interersing. If you haven't already take a look at the thread i linked earlier (ATS thread on The cross and the end of time).
The link in that thread told of Alchemy, freemasons, cathedrals and the cross. Is that cross the Mystic cross. The freemason symbols are in thhe cathedral - cathedrals play a part in the story. That last link i provided above really has my head hurting. Is everthing connected???????????

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980

Couldn't see the video (link nor working)

Weird, i never had a prob embedding videos before.

When I tried it, it said "embedding disabled by request". Did you get that message on the video screen when you tried it? After I received that, I clicked on teh screen and it brought me to the video on the YOUTUBE site.

Tried to change it several time to no avail. if it doesn't work here's the link.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This symbol is very visually powerful and is found in many different cultures through all ages and across the globe, with differing meanings. It's like a cross...the shape is so simple and universal yet powerful that many different cultures discovered it independently and assigned different meanings to it.

In the far East even today, from Tibet through China, Korea, and Japan, the "backwards" swastika is a Buddhist symbol often used on maps to denote the presence of a temple. Swastika-like shapes have been found is African and mesoamerican arts and designs, as well as ancient India, etc. In each case they have different meanings, or sometimes no meaning at all...just a symbol used for design.

Among peoples of ancient Central Asia it was often a solar symbol, denoting the sun and the masculine/solar/sky power (as opposed to feminine/lunar/earth power). Hitler considered the symbol to be "Aryan" because it can be found in the arts of Northern India, ancient Iran, and northern Europe, all areas that were considered in the 19th century to have developed from a common ancestor: The so-called "Aryan" peoples... now thought to be a basically invalid historical construct. Hitler believed that the original Aryans were today found in the purest form among the the white "Nordic" European peoples, and had become "corrupted" by breeding with others as they migrated south, establishing the early Persian and Indian societies. He identified the Aryan element in all of these people with the solar/masculine/dynamic principle, which is symbolized by the Swastika. Most of the history behind these ideas is no longer accepted, but it was popular in the 19th century and the early 20th century when Hitler and others were forming their racial theories.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Theosophy should be something that you check out, thoroughly. The swastika is in the emblem that represents Theosophy, along with the ouroboros and other esoteric symbols.

If you are not familiar with David Wilcock, or David Flynn, I suggest you check them out also-there is mountains of information compiled and 'explained' between the two. David Flynn does an excellent job at explaining many Masonic symbols.

I strongly think if you spend time digging, especially regarding those two men, you will find many answers.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Thanks, thats link works. Hey, i recognised them towers from somewhere at the beginning. 0:40-1:00

Looks like this:

www.milescollins.com...

The guy that built it was supposed to a member of the Hell-fire club, although there are rumnours to what it was used for he had said it was for the public.

: www.milescollins.com...

Wiki says that the Hell fireclub was founded by Philip the Duke of Wharton and that affter having his Club disbanded, Wharton became a Freemason and in 1722 he became the Grandmaster of England.

www.templarmechanics.com...

www.follytowers.com...

[edit on 26-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I believe the freemasons have used just about every ancient symbol known in one form or another and i believe that is thier intent. Most freemasons dont know why thier using them or what exactly they mean but..... its how its always been. 8)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think your Mason connection to the swastika is found in Lalibela, Ethiopia.

The church of St. George is in the shape of a sacred Masonic symbol.
en.wikipedia.org...

The church of St. Mary has a few swastikas on her walls.
(I could only find this picture on the net that shows one of them. I have a personal book that shows three.)
www.travel-images.com...

This website makes some really interesting connections. Look at the symbols on the cross that the priest is using.
www.redicecreations.com...

The Masonic double headed eagle is found in one of those rock-hewn churches.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by lostinspace]

new topics

top topics

join