It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be it? This week.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Investors this week will face the largest batch of company report cards yet, in what is quickly shaping up to be the worst quarter for corporate profits in a decade.

The earnings avalanche will test the market's mettle. Last week, the Dow fought back after falling below the 8,000 point psychological benchmark for four days in a row. Analysts say if the Dow can hang on to this level in the weeks ahead, that's a good indication that a bottom has been set.

The biggest week for earnings brings reports from 137 S&P 500 companies and 12 Dow components. Standouts include Caterpillar, American Express, McDonald's, Yahoo, Wells Fargo and Exxon Mobil.

Read Article
(From CNN Money).

[edit on 25-1-2009 by JipStix]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
There is a bottom, but with all the money the Fed has thrown into the machine, how in hell is one to know?

This is government intervention at its best.

Forcing bad loans to facilitate Affirmative Action in the housing/mortgage industry, and then complicating the problem with more borrowing and recklessly tossing money into the system to make absolutely certain the problem will be prolonged, and worsen.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I know a lot of people on here, as well as many monetary and fiscal experts like Nouriel Roubini, Gerald Celente, Mish Shedlock, and others have been saying that our economy is going to get creamed.

I know the period from last fall up until now has been bad, but will this be where it gets worse?

These reports supposedly will show the biggest GDP drop in 26 years. Coupled with the fact that a new administration is in office (for those who believed the economy was being propped up until the inauguration), as well as job loss numbers and poor retail performance, it could be the crash everyone has been 'waiting for' (and not in a positive way).

I am almost looking forward to a big one-day drop, although I have a bit of money in the market, because it would mean a 'true search' for the bottom. I am most certainly not promoting people losing their money, but i really think the market is nowhere near the end of its plunge.

What do you guys think on the matter?

Will this just be another week, or will it be a catastrophic downturn.

ALSO: I just checked Dow Jones Futures, which are currently at -206, as of Sunday afternoon.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What people fail to realize about these supposed market fluctuations, is that they're all based on FEAR, just like everything else is.

These numbers are artificially placed there by the people who run things to make sure that we follow the leader into accepting whatever "bail out" packages these people come up with in order to keep the businesses that got us into this mess, continue to reap profits from our hard labor.

There is enough of EVERTHING in the world, the only thing holding us back is competition, so long as we have a million different companies making the same product and pretending that there isn't enough to go around, or that they're product is better, there will ALWAYS be a crisis.

People need to work together, to create companies that work for the best interest of the people, no the product.

Lets remember, 97% of the USA's money isn't material, its computerized. Numbers in a computer are extremely easy to manipulate for anybody's gain.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

You know, the more I think about it, I'm starting to believe the 'controlled economic implosion' hypothesis.

Before, I would dismiss the NAU and Amero talk, but the inherent stupidity in the actions of some very highly-qualified people has made me wonder if there is indeed a sinister plan behind all of this. It just doesn't make sense.

Why do they keep pumping money into the system, they are just prolonging the agony and making the problem worse. Is it just ignorant people at the helm (which I tend not to believe), or are they actually very intelligent and imploding our economy to bring in a new currency?

Yea I think we'll find the bottom, but I'm not sure how far below the current floor it is.

@Tothetenthpower

You make a great point. It could just be government manipulation in order to scare the public and politicians into accepting a new stimulus package, or preparation for another bailout package.

Before, when it was Bush, it was pretty hard to sell because no one liked him, and he wasn't very charismatic. Now that it's Obama, I think people might be duped into accepting a new stimulus package or bailout because of his perceived eloquence.

Not sure though. Americans are getting pretty pissed off, so anything is possible.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
PPT was in action last days to support DJI's 8,000 points

Without manipulation, markets should go down this week (DJI easily to 7000).

There will be a bunch of really ugly reports.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

That's exactly my point. American's are FED UP with the FED. (pun intenteded)

More and more we see that were getting these stimulus packages from the government that are suppose to go the banks and big companies crying to not go bankrupt.

Don't you think there's a reason why it's business as usual, and they're squandering the funds for nothing? Ofcourse there is, the fact is that there IS no crisis, not a real one anyway. They don't need money they're just taking it to further the propaganda.

Keep us scared...THERE ARE NINJAS ON THE LAWN!!! Remember.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

More and more we see that were getting these stimulus packages from the government that are suppose to go the banks and big companies crying to not go bankrupt.

Don't you think there's a reason why it's business as usual, and they're squandering the funds for nothing? Ofcourse there is, the fact is that there IS no crisis, not a real one anyway. They don't need money they're just taking it to further the propaganda.

There is a massive credit crunch which now destroys real economy.

Even those banks are "too big too fail" they should fail as there is no money which can cover holes they have. US banks are completely insolvent.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vojvoda

There is a massive credit crunch which now destroys real economy.

Even those banks are "too big too fail" they should fail as there is no money which can cover holes they have. US banks are completely insolvent.

yes i understand the "credit" crunch. But really think about it. What is CREDIT? It's MADE UP money. They run the whole economy on the fact that they need money for debt, and debt for money. Companies are going out of business but that is because there is TOO much competition in the open market without enough consumers purchasing each individual product.

Furthermore the banks have been taking loans and creating money on top of them as the basis for new loans for decades now, so why should we give them MORE fake money and compound the problem even more.

I agree they should fail, just like the auto industry, yes people will loose jobs, but if you continue to allow companies to keep creating crap products that don't last and use ridiculous ammounts of non-renewable energy then were still in the same mess, regardless if people are working or not.

We should force them to re-structure BEFORE they get loans, MAKE them create products that will last us. They had the electric car in the 80's and they squashed it.

97% of our money is digitized not material, it's really easy to manipulate numbers in a computer.

[edit on 1/25/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I have noticed in the last 5 years that before taxes are due, these companies comes out with Quarter losses. Keep your ears glued to the Idiot tube and you will hear this.

If they report a Quarter loss, then they will be on the books as having a loss tax wise. This is an observation. Do I think it's really that bad?, not really.

You say to yourself how come we are losing jobs then. simple, with the bailout money they EXPAND to overseas investments, that means the companies hire more in overseas areas(China,India), everytime they do this, we end up losing jobs in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

yes i understand the "credit" crunch. But really think about it. What is CREDIT? It's MADE UP money. They run the whole economy on the fact that they need money for debt, and debt for money. Companies are going out of business but that is because there is TOO much competition in the open market without enough consumers purchasing each individual product.

Federal Reserve's policy after dotcom bubble was completely destructive (massive expansion of cheap money). Add to this repeal of Glass-Steagall Act in 1999 and GSEs.

Furthermore the banks have been taking loans and creating money on top of them as the basis for new loans for decades now, so why should we give them MORE fake money and compound the problem even more.

Yes, I agree. Too much debt.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
We have not seen the end of these bad economic times. More mortgage interest rates will adjust upwards over the next few years, causing more defaults. And many of the derivatives that are poised to cause so much additional trouble are tied to defaults. So as we see additional defaults over the next few years, we will see more derivates going haywire, more value being destroyed, etc.

I'd say we are in the second year of a slump that will last at least a decade. Some sectors and companies may profit, some years will be worse than others, etc., but I think in the long run when we look back on the period from, say, 2007-2020, it will be conisdered a "lost decade" like Japan's long slump.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think in 200 or however long it takes for people to realize that money is a stupid idea, they will look back upon the history of this economy and laugh. Whole hearted, good old fashioned LAUGHTER, at how we were so easily manipulated into being good little consumer sheeps with dollar signs in our eyes.

It'll probably ammount to one page on a textbook labeled insignificant economies of the past.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
For me I truely blive that the Protection team will be hard at work this week manipulating the market to keep it up over 8000 points. But thats just me, I believe that we will see strong manipulation throughout the week and everyone will be looking for massive falls and we will be lucky to see 100 point drops day by day.

I say they manipulate the market to keep thier fraudulous bottom of 8000 afloat. Problem with this is sooner or later the money will run out or inflation will start to kick in. They can only print money for so long before it bites them in the rear.

just my 2c

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have read online that Caterpillar is making digging machines for the moon. Could that be why they are making a profit? Isn't construction down? Or do they have more products that construction equipment(besides the space stuff)?

I think I may invest in a couple of those stocks, esp McDonald's.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I have read online that Caterpillar is making digging machines for the moon. Could that be why they are making a profit? Isn't construction down? Or do they have more products that construction equipment(besides the space stuff)?

I think I may invest in a couple of those stocks, esp McDonald's.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by hotbakedtater]

There was an article in Fortune magazine about caterpillar a few months ago that said they were making a fortune selling equipment to developing nations, especially India. Apparently they make cheap, very small farming/industrial vehicles that are popular in developing markets.

This article was a while ago, though...maybe even half a year ago, I can't really remember. Certainly a lot has changed in the last few months so who knows.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think it'll be bad, but I don't think we'll hit rock bottom just yet. There's another bubble that has to burst first- I think it's credit default swaps.

Also, we'll have to have another terrorist attack first to really plunge things into chaos. We're not just seeing a recession here - we're seeing the creation of a perfect storm. This thing is going to be the storm to end all storms.

These bailouts are just making things even worse.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

Yea the more I read, and the more I see, I'm starting to believe we're being set up for a 'Perfect Storm.'

It's as if the PTB (Powers that Be) are going to make it so bad and unbearable, we accept whatever they offer as a solution simply out of desperation.

Of course, I hope it doesn't get to that point, but the road's starting to look pretty grim.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Exactly! The powers that be are fixing this thing so that we CAN'T come out of it without their help. I mean, look at what's happening...

- Worst market for jobs since the 40's
- Worst financial crisis in 100 years
- Rising unemployment (Could and WILL lead to civil unrest)
- Bailouts that will lead to massive inflation
- Possibility of another terrorist attack (Will most likely be nuclear)
- Possibility of civil war
- An increasingly dumbed down population that DOESN'T read AKA sheep.

I'm seeing a strategy here. It says "hit em' with everything we've got and bring em' to their knees."

You know what scares me? The American people.

The same American people that are dumbed down and have bought into everything the mainstream media tells them.

The same American people who believe that we'll come out of this in about a year or so.

The same American people who will go absolutely CRAZY when all of this spins of out control.

That's what I'm scared of.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JediK

Man can we please just stop saying the word Terrorist...as they don't exist when it comes to the US and they're *Valient* effort to combat it.

False Flag would be a better term.

But on the subject, yes i do agree that this is all leading up to big government making bigger decisions. But they fail to realize that BIG Government means BIG accountibility, and don't worry the Americans will get fed up eventually and will stand up for themselves.

It'll just take a good push in the right direction.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join