It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best ammo to stock up on

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Im Looking to stockpile arounf 1000 rds each of
9mm
12 gauge
20 guage
and

Anyone have suggestions on best quailty manufacture VS price per round or box?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
hello....why is so necessary to have guns...in the new level of life starting in 2012 you wont need a rifle..all you have to do is just love ....care for mother earth and all on it...it is so wrong to kill...take executions what message are we sending...if you kill you get killed ...thats just not the way it works..

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
IF you could find a 1000 rounds of any of that ammunition I would be surprised. Look into loading those rounds yourself, its much more economical and the resulting rounds are much higher quality.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Psyclon9

What??? You dont have a .357 mag????

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Cheaper than dirt or ammoman.com. Wal-mart maybe a good start.

I would buy a few different mfg's just to see if your firearms can eat it.

Roper

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think you missed the most important...

22 Ammo - Cheap and easy to come by and the most common ammo in the world.

And don't forget a couple of Ruger 10/22's.

You can still buy Federal bulk packs of 550 rounds at walmart for about $13.00

No reason NOT to have a few thousand rounds of .22

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

That is actually a more difficult question than what it appears to be.

My suggestion to you is go buy a few hundred rounds each box different manufacturer and run them though your guns. If you own all those weapons it sounds more like you are buying to stock up just to stock up.

To answer your question some guns will feed everything you put it in it and other guns will only feed certain brands of ammo.

The best ammo is ammo that feeds flawlessly in you weapons. Which could mean one manufactures will feed in one gun reliably and the same manufacturer might not feed in another gun.

Only way to find out is trial and error.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You guy's are so lucky to still be able to own guns. When tshtf all i will have is a stick with a nail in it. Automatic 5 yrs min sentence here in the Uk puts you off stashing one away ( not that i would know where to get one )

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Do not forget the lowly .22. About $10/ 1000.

Very effective for small game, and report noise is less than the others you mention (from a rifle).

The "stockpile" you are amassing is going to be quite a load to pack around. If you are planning to stay put, consider reloading your own. For what you will pay for the stockpile, you may be able to purchase a reloading press+ bullets + powder + primers, and brass ( you do save your brass after you shoot ?). Brass can be reused until it shows signs of wearing thin (I have .223/ 30'06 that have been recycled 5X, or more...)

Reload everything , very low cost/ round. The .308 and 7.62mm bullets
and powder/ primers can be used in M14 and 30'06 Springfield, for instance. The only difference is the brass...

To put a cost to the rounds you plan to stockpile is difficult due to availability, and becoming increasingly expensive.
You could get googly to find suppliers for cost/ availability, for your region.

Best of luck...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladybren

I'm happy for you that you can believe such things, but as for me and mine, we will hope for the best, expect the worst, and keep our powder dry.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Some tracer rounds might come in handy too. But, don't depend just upon a gun. There may come a time when you might need to hunt silently, thus a crossbow is sure handy dandy. And, where guns are illegal, slingshots can be pretty darn dangerous too, and your ammo can be as simple and as cheap as a sack of rocks or metal ball bearings.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
I think you missed the most important...

22 Ammo - Cheap and easy to come by and the most common ammo in the world.

And don't forget a couple of Ruger 10/22's.

You can still buy Federal bulk packs of 550 rounds at walmart for about $13.00

No reason NOT to have a few thousand rounds of .22

I would even put this up into the 10,000s of rounds of .22. It is so cheap you can buy a truck load, and it would be a great barter tool for a lot can be hunted with .22.

All those other rounds are much better in defense, but at some point the big need for defense should drop off where survival will always be there.

2000 rounds: 9mm is very universal and cheap too, and so I would have this as my next large quaintly.

1000 rounds 12 gauge in the heavier loads as my third, even though it is more important than 9mm since these are of hunting value too. The reason I say heavier loads and only 1000 rounds is you should have a good reload capabilities with this ammo, and the heavier casings can be used over and over with lighter loads for hunting.

Following these it depends on the guns I have. Some big ammo for big game would be nice, but with this ammo you do not need to use a lot of it and 500 rounds can last a very long time.

I would most likely carry some heavy defense ammo too, so you should have a few 1000 rounds of this for if you did use it you will most likely use a lot in a short period.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
You guy's are so lucky to still be able to own guns. When tshtf all i will have is a stick with a nail in it. Automatic 5 yrs min sentence here in the Uk puts you off stashing one away ( not that i would know where to get one )

Off topic but no "Luck" about it. We fight tooth and nail here to keep our right to bear arms and it is taking them much longer in the attempts to disarm us due to politics. We have 80 to 100 million gun owners here and even a small percentage who vote on this issue makes a big difference. Even Obama and Biden who would love to disarm us know the reality of directly taking on the 2nd amendment and will have to "stealth" us with ammo serialization schemes and such.

Join the NRA in the UK or equivalent of. If enough of you are sick of being victims and rolling over to criminals then you have a chance to reverse the damage.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psyclon9
Im Looking to stockpile arounf 1000 rds each of
9mm
12 gauge
20 guage
and

Anyone have suggestions on best quailty manufacture VS price per round or box?

teargas

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Thats quite an array of ammo! Personally, I have have 4 go to firearms. The Remington 870 in 12 ga, a Ruger 10/22, a Dan Wesson 1911 in .45 and an ar15.

Sure, each of those can be argued as inferior to something else BUT, just like the ammo they use, parts are abundant. Ammo can be gotten at Wal mart or anywhere and with the exception of the .22 it can all be reloaded.

Personally I have an inexpensive single stage reloader and I can crank out 1000 rounds in an evening. Reloading ammo costs about 1/3 of buying it, and thats just for the first use of the brass. It goes down significantly when you reuse your own brass. A reloader can be had for $150 on craigslist, Scharch will sell you 1000 .223 primered brass with bullets for about $200. So- if you've done some research - you see the reloader will pay for itself in no time.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon

Personally I have an inexpensive single stage reloader and I can crank out 1000 rounds in an evening. Reloading ammo costs about 1/3 of buying it, and thats just for the first use of the brass. It goes down significantly when you reuse your own brass. A reloader can be had for $150 on craigslist, Scharch will sell you 1000 .223 primered brass with bullets for about $200. So- if you've done some research - you see the reloader will pay for itself in no time.

Reloader is the key for a long term serious situation, but I wonder what the shelf life for gunpowder is though? I would also suggest a few bullet molds. Lead would be easy to come by, but bullets would not be.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Federal ammo is the best for going through any gun. Blazzers or repacks are not worth buying. I worked for Detonic's back in the 90's and after hundreds of test fires Federal always came out ahead of all the rest. We mainly supplied government and military with the scoremaster or mark IV all of which are .45 or the interchangable .9mm to .38mm barrel but no matter Federal ammo is by far the best to use. Blazzers have alot of FTE's (Failure To Eject). We test fire hundreds of rounds through each gun before shipping. I have only bought Federal since for my .223, 7.62, .308 and have only had one FTE because the slide needed alittle lube. The cheapest place is at a gun store because they buy in large bulk and discount through sales.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Modern propellants have a long shelf life, given proper storage. Not indefinite, but long enough to see you through just about ant situation x. Shooting wars don't last forever...I hope.

Might toss this in for good measure... BLACKPOWDER arms.
(shhh... thus far, very few controls on these weapons.)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladybren
hello....why is so necessary to have guns...in the new level of life starting in 2012 you wont need a rifle..all you have to do is just love ....care for mother earth and all on it...it is so wrong to kill...take executions what message are we sending...if you kill you get killed ...thats just not the way it works..

I know alot of those love love love people...they tend to be high maintenance. They have alot of love as long as someone else is taking the risk out of life for them. They can afford love when someone else is doing the hard work and risk. Ive sent alot of them down the road..not worth the trouble.

Carry your load or carry your a-- I call that love..and also respect...common decency. And if they dont want to show proper love, respect, and decency ...I can love them just fine from the end of a six inch vent rib barrel.
Where I come from we call this "Tough Love."

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 25-1-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I think the most important round is the .223, it is your standard assault rifle ammo. The 7.62x39mm for the AK-47 is also pretty popular, and would be in high demand as well. I have been getting the WOLF non-corrosive ammo so it won't rust durring long term storage. It is cheap and it shoots pretty accurate. I wouldn't worry about having 1000 plus shotgun shells, I would get more of the .223 and 7.62x39mm. The .308 and 7.62x54r (Dragunov) are bigger shells and would be worth stocking up on as well, but are a little more pricier. The .22 shells as mentioned earlier in the thread are cheap and easy to get and transport. Also, I have thought about rifle repair kits and cleaning kits. If you are planning on shooting that much your firing pin might need to be replaced at some point.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join