It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Worries About Meth Trends

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
reply to post by autowrench

Unfortunately, ALCOHOL IS THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUG in the world. ALCOHOL HAS KILLED MORE PEOPLE directly and indirectly than ALL OTHER DRUGS combined. ALCOHOL is more responsible for violent crime than METH AND CRACK combined.
Shouldn't we prohibit the use of DEMON ALCOHOL????

We tried to do that once and it was a disaster.

Thanks to the Mob bootlegging and the feds fighting that, there was a lot of violence.

And, thanks to the Mob and bootlegging, the violent drunks still got their drink.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

I am very glad you8 are clean and sober.

Let me ask you this.

Do you feel tha the trend to lable addiction as a disease rather than a set of choices has been a detriment to peoples' recovery efforts?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

There is no freaking secrets about drugs, everyone knows about them and the side effects.

IF YOU DON'T, YOU CAN JUST GO TO WWW.EROWID.COM AND GET THE WHOLE SCOOP.

I've done my fair share of pyschoactives, and I'm not proud of it, doesn't matter, this whole thread should not be taking place because of the TERMS AND CONDITIONS!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Obviously you have a problem with this subject, and have completely missed the point here. No one can help you, I read the terms and conditions of use, and frankly I don't see why it would apply here. There is no glorification of this drug's use. There are appropriate discussions on drug use and inappropriate... You should not need rules to tell you which is or isn't here at ATS... A place where people of all ages can gather to discuss just about anything... If I had started a thread about how much fun doing meth is I would not only expect the topic to be removed, but I would hope that I'd also be immediately and permanently banned.

Think, read again... maybe you'll understand.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'm not sure where you are coming from here. Don't get me wrong, I am not demonizing drugs or alcohol. Substances are not bad. POT, CRACK, METH did not do anything to anyone. My point is that we are doing nothing to change the behavior of an addict by make substances illegal. CONSEQUENCES can not be considered by the addict. For a drug addict, or alcoholic, the next drink or drug is as necessary as breathing is to a human being. What good is locking a person up? Lets say they had cancer...if you lock them up does that cure the cancer? How many have seen or heard about lung cancer victims still smoking??? The education perspective is moot as well, you can't teach this thing out of people either. Either a person has it or not...ADDICTION manifests itself in all kinds of ways, not just street drugs. BELIEVE me there is AN EPIDEMIC of pain killer abusers right now. PEOPLE DIE DETOXING from this stuff...have you heard thta in the news???
POT is loike anything else...there are people addicted to POT, it's just that the consequences aren't as obvious as they are with the meth user.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

How about you think again, go back to page 1, and reread the T&C and my post.

It SPECIFICALLY says NO TALK OF DRUGS PERIOD it does NOT make any other suggestions pointing to if it pertains to certain civil, political, personal, economical, political that is out of the line of fire of the T&C itself.

This ENTIRE thread is technically against the T&C, I've already alerted the mods about 20 minutes ago and no response, why, I don't know.

However, my point being, if I we're to go post a thread on how cultures used certain drugs that are now illegal and expierenced things than that would be a deleted/closed topic, alas the bias specifically because it doesn't have to do with anything pertaining to the drug being bad, but instead, historical facts per se and descriptions of experiences.

So, I don't believe that there should be ANY drug talk because it's all to damn controversal here.

*THEORY* *EXAMPLE*

IF I WAS A MEDICINAL MARIJUANA PATIENT IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND OBIDED ALL OF THE LEGALITIES AND HAD MY PLANTS TAKEN FROM ME AND MADE A POST ABOUT IT MY THREAD WOULD BE BANNED

Now do you see where I'm coming from?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

You're not catching my drift.

There is not suppose to be any kind of drug talk period, this whole thread should be deleted, end of the story.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Before someone becomes addicted there are choices. As in, most of us are warned NOT to mess with hard drugs. The addict always makes the WRONG choice to start in the first place. Once a person is truly addicted, the power of choice is either extremely diminished or entirely absent. I am one of the latter. I COULD NOT STOP no matter what the consequence. Whether it's a "disease" or not does not matter. The cause is not necessary for a solution. If an addict knew why they did what they did, it would NOT help to stop them. The thing is, some people mess around, some get hard into it, and some are seemingly hopelessly addicted. Some of us have something wrong with us...personally I KNOW that there is something wrong with me, it hasn't mattered in my recovery to have a definite cause for it.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by odd1out]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Actually, I was responding to someone else...
If you are upset, contact a moderator, becuase in my reality this thread IS definitely HERE...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

If you are correct then I am sure the staff will quickly do away with this discussion which has apparently become your goal, despite what good may come from it.

If one person reads through this thread and is able to avoid the temptation of meth, potential addiction and possible death, then it was worth it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

But prohibition of drugs is working so well they keep it going. My belief is that if the money generated by the drug war wasn't reaching the top somehow, someway, it would have been changed years ago. However, our current economic system now has this built in...law enforcement, DEA, ATF, Judicial System, Parole, Probation, drug court, and on and on.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

Before someone becomes addicted there are choices. As in, most of us are warned NOT to mess with hard drugs. The addict always makes the WRONG choice to start in the first place. Once a person is truly addicted, the power of choice is either extremely diminished or entirely absent. I am one of the latter. I COULD NOT STOP no matter what the consequence. Whether it's a "disease" or not does not matter. The cause is not necessary for a solution. If an addict knew why they did what they did, it would NOT help to stop them. The thing is, some people mess around, some get hard into it, and some are seemingly hopelessly addicted. Some of us have something wrong with us...personally I KNOW that there is something wrong with me, it hasn't mattered in my recovery to have a definite cause for it.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by odd1out]

Thanks for the insight.

See, I always thought it would make it more difficult for the one in recovery to be told that he has a disease and can't to anything aout that, rather than encouraging him to examine why he made the bad choices that led to his addiction.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Methm crack and a few other drugs out there do in fact cause chromosomal damage to both the user and their offspring so the original poster is correct in that statement. Read up on the chemistry of meth addiction some time and you will find out why recovery is so rare, it changes your brain's protein structure.
The fact is, meth and crack addicts are giving birth to damaged children that few foster parents will raise and even fewer will adopt. Those kids also generally have very expensive medical problems that some insurers won't treat. Take away that critical bonding stage in infant development and you will create an adolescent or adult with severe emotional problems and probably violent tendencies. Florida's social services program is busting at the seams with these issues and can't deal with it. Those problems do not get better with age either, visit your local homeless shelter like I did yesterday and see how some of those kids who are coming into adulthood function. There are exceptions of course but in all honesty most would have been better off not being born. Worse yet, there are no moves uderway to create any kind of medicosocial and legal network to help these people, allowing people with these problems to breed is usually just throwing a lot of babies to the wolves. The more designer drugs you see coming into the market like meth, the worse things will get.
I'm not one to support draconian measures but I support mandatory sterilization in this case. There is just no way to treat these people since most of them won't help themselves anyway. The recidivism rate for drug-related crimes based on FBI statistics has consistently stayed in the 85-90 percent range since the 1980s and that is only reported crimes.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Actually, it has just hit home. It's something I have personal experience with and I'm pretty passionate about shedding light on the misinformation rampant out there. I had no idea about the rules here on this subject. I was just responding to thread. I'm going to re-locate now...

link   
Revolution-2012,

Why do you keep coming back here? Alert the mods, and leave us alone to our discussion. Nobody likes a tattle-tail.

As for the thread, meth is a horrible drug and anything to warn people of the dangers is a plus in my mind.

[edit on 1/25/2009 by deadline527]

link   

Listen, Ok, I'm here to point out that this whole thread is against T&C

I could honestly care less if this thread saved 10 people or 100 people from doing meth today, because that isn't my goal.

My goal is to get this thread removed, or be explained to me and everyone else on this thread why it is threads like this that demean the drug get away with it, however, just because the thread is letting people know how bad this drug is, it doesn't matter because this drug is mentioned and that in itself is against the T&C, you telling everyone about your war stories is against the T&C, get over it.

This thread doesn't have a place in ATS, and no other thread like this has a place in BTS PERIOD. It isn't about indifference, RIGHT OR WRONG, it is abou the very simple guidelines we all try to obide here on ATS, and this entire thread is making a complete example of how the T&C has no effect.

I wan't an explanation by a moderator, at the least.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Again...have you ever heard of FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME??? Just as prevalent. I agree with you 100% about these kids. It is terrible. But it clearly shows the true nature of the addicted human; maternal instinct is destroyed in woman. How powerful is that?
This is truly a burden on everyone. This doesn't take into account how many fathers are absent, hooked on dope, mom is collecting welfare and food stamps. VERY costly.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

if you are successful then you will have eliminated a potentially beneficial discussion, good on you!

Until this thread is gone, can you please at least try to stay on topic, or go alert the staff, so that they can do as you wish?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

We think alike...and I stand corrected.
Second line
Third line

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Rev please calm down.

I know you are trying to proove a point but please, the rest of us are trying to have a discussion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join