It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Funeral Options

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm being cremated. I told my husband - NO FUNERAL as well.

For those getting cremated .. check out LIFE GEMS.

www.lifegem.com...

I'm not advertising for them. I'm just showing ya'll.
They make gems from the ashes of cremated people
I think it's creepy. But some folks like it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Actually it's more sanitary than other forms of burial, expecially if the person died of disease. Vultures have evolved/adapted digestive systems that will kill off just about any germ that would be deadly to humans and animals, so this threat is removed with a sky burial wheras other forms of burial which let the body decompose do not.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Sky burials, probably my preferred method. Not performed anywhere much anymore, except Tibet. (Interstingly I read somewhere that the government is attempting to outlaw sky burials there because it reveals if the desceased have not been treated humanly while imprisoned)
www.skyburial.org...

Yeah Sky Burials would not be a good idea for humans living in a modern country, or having access to modern healthcare. The bodies are likely pumped up with drugs before death.

The vultures are becoming extinct in India (and the sky burial sites have turned into rotting piles of corpses). They think the vultures are dying out because the livestock is being shot up with steroids. God only knows human corpses would be far worse if the person died under medical supervision.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I've already told everyone who will listen, cremate me and spread the ashes somewhere nice. No burial and no funeral. If folks just have to have a service, hold it at home and I hope it takes six men to carry the beer.

The only problem is once you die your body no longer belongs to you, it belongs to your next of kin. They can do with it as they wish. That happened to an Uncle of mine. He was always clear that he wanted to be cremated, then one day he stepped in front of a car and his body became the property of his wife. He was a minister of some stature, having traveled the world preaching and being the head of the Assembly's of God churches. My aunt gave him not one but three funerals in three different states and then buried him with a large garish headstone. Poor man is probably still rolling in his grave.

Cremation may not be so eco friendly but I know for a fact I won't wake up buried in a coffin or be awake as vultures pick me apart in a sky funeral. I'd rather be put on a raft at sea and have the darn thing set on fire.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by asmeone2
Sky burials, probably my preferred method. Not performed anywhere much anymore, except Tibet. (Interstingly I read somewhere that the government is attempting to outlaw sky burials there because it reveals if the desceased have not been treated humanly while imprisoned)
www.skyburial.org...

Yeah Sky Burials would not be a good idea for humans living in a modern country, or having access to modern healthcare. The bodies are likely pumped up with drugs before death.

The vultures are becoming extinct in India (and the sky burial sites have turned into rotting piles of corpses). They think the vultures are dying out because the livestock is being shot up with steroids. God only knows human corpses would be far worse if the person died under medical supervision.

Actually that is because farmers set out poison for predators and rodents. When these animals die the vultures eat them and absorb the poison. That is partly why rabies is endemic in these areas. Here
is a link.

In Tibet, at least, the sky burial is more a practical matter--there is not a lot of wood for pyres there, and the ground is usually too frozen to bury the dead.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by asmeone2]

[edit on 25-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

That could only be more poetic if you were actually born on that land

Well, I was born in a hospital technically, but they brought me home to here. Does that count?

This land has belonged to my family for at least 4 generations. I haven't found the original grant deed yet, so I can't say past that.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by asmeone2

That could only be more poetic if you were actually born on that land

Well, I was born in a hospital technically, but they brought me home to here. Does that count?

This land has belonged to my family for at least 4 generations. I haven't found the original grant deed yet, so I can't say past that.

TheRedneck

It;s good enough for me

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I am bumping the thread to link to this story about biodegradable coffins that showed up on the C2C website today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join