It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to prevent oneself from becoming a ghost?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well I thought I'd throw this out there.

I think most of us assume that we are going to go to some kind of afterlife/higher dimension immediately after death, yet there are enough "haunted" spots to suggest that a good portion of individuals will become "ghosts" of some kind.

That got me thinking,how can one prevent oneself from becoming a ghost?

It seems to me that the kicker is realizing that one is dying--even in a violent and sudden death I don't understand that one can not realize that he is dead--but then, I have never died before

I wonder if ATS has any insight on this?

FYI, please humor me that ghosts exist in the context of autonomous souls for this discussion, don't derail it with they don't exist/they are magnetic/we go straight to heaven or hell.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Easy. When the time comes, walk toward the light!

Keep walking down the tunnel, and keep the light in sight!

Assuming, of course, that's where you're supposed to be headed.

In this other case, if you don't see the light, and hear a bunch of moaning, screaming, and pleading at the end of a dark tunnel, you may want to hang around a bit.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Hi.

I am not sure that i would want to prevent myself becoming a ghost!

Some late members of my family make the occasional appearance in my home,yet rather than be scared of it, we find it very comforting to know that they are still looking in on us!

If i could offer that kind of comfort after i have gone,then so much the better!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Dooper:

I hear a lot "they don't know they are dead." So, I assume that for some reason some peole might not see the light immediately... that is what interste me.

Scobro:

Intersting perspective. I suppose they might have unfinished business there... I wonder if there is a limit to how long one can stick around as a ghost, like a baby can't stay in the womb forever.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well maybe they can visit this dimension, to check up on relatives and such.
I can imagine people not knowing they are dead or just refuse to believe it.
When something traumatic happens, your subconscious can block it out.
Or they just simply refused to head for the light

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i know the answer..

dont die!

or just dont beieve, if you dont beieve then it dont happen.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
...like a baby can't stay in the womb forever.

Before I reply, this comment just reminded me of something interesting..

Stone Baby

Anyway, back on topic (sorry!), I agree with boaby_phet. If you believe in something, it will happen. If you don't, it won't. Rather simple.

I personally believe in reincarnation. I live off that theory so at least that, fingers crossed, if and when I die, I will be reincarnated. When I was about 5 or 6 my mum tells me that when she wouldn't let me do something, I used to retort with "Well, my other mummy would let me!" So, if I was referring to either a past life, or a past 'mother' who was there in spirit form, who knows, but I believe it can happen.

As for spirits 'hanging around', I came up with a little theory. I know it's kind of morbid but hey, lol! I came up with a thought only a few days back, that if you pass on in a natural death, or from illness, then yeah, you pretty much go 'into the light', or whatever, straight away. If it's not a natural death, like accidents, or murders etc... then I think they might hang around a little longer. I mean, take these ghost hunting programmes. They never seem to track spirits who died naturally, eh? It's always the murderers and people who fall to their deaths and the likes?! Hmm. Food for thought?!

(Sorry for rambling!)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am not sure about the theory that ghosts are simply people that were not ready to die.
The last time that i saw my Dad in hospital,we knew,and i am positive,that he knew that his time had come!
He was very calm,and simply said that his mother was waiting for him,and kept motioning to the end of the bed,as if he were seeing someone!

Since then,i have sensed my Dad's spirit twice,and my little girl,who never met him,but has seen photos,described how one night he appeared in her room,he had tears running down his cheeks,he came to her bedside and gave her a kiss,then she went back to sleep!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
GOOD TOPIC ASMEONE2

how can one prevent oneself from becoming a ghost?

HA! I was having this conversation with someone just the other day.

The best we came up with were these points -

- try to leave no unfinished business
- try not to be attached to ANYTHING on the planet.
- try to remember that earth isn't our real home so be prepared to let go.

I hear a lot "they don't know they are dead." .

We do some ghost hunting now and then. Those that don't know they are dead come in two categories (that we know of).

- those that had violent or quick deaths and don't realize it.

- those hauntings that are just residual and are just imprints on places without any real human spirit actually being there.

I don't think there is much that someone can do if they have one of those quick violent and/or sudden deaths. Sometimes it just happens.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Scobro,

That was a very touching story. I hope that when my time comes it will be peaceful like your Dad's. I have never encountered a ghost but if I do I hope it's an experience like your daughter had.

*Edited to correct a spelling error.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Coach Knight]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Coach Knight

Thank you.

All the more remarkable,was the fact that my daughter was only 3 at the time!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
i know the answer..

dont die!

Let me know if you ever figure that one out, pal

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by emmy

As for spirits 'hanging around', I came up with a little theory. I know it's kind of morbid but hey, lol! I came up with a thought only a few days back, that if you pass on in a natural death, or from illness, then yeah, you pretty much go 'into the light', or whatever, straight away. If it's not a natural death, like accidents, or murders etc... then I think they might hang around a little longer. I mean, take these ghost hunting programmes. They never seem to track spirits who died naturally, eh? It's always the murderers and people who fall to their deaths and the likes?! Hmm. Food for thought?!

(Sorry for rambling!)

That makes sense in a way.

It reminds me of some tribal people who would ritually cleanse their warriors every time they went to battle; they beleived that the sould of everyone they killed in battle would follow them around unless they were released.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scobro

That is indeed touching.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's just that I can't see h ow someone could go through a violent, painful death, even if it is quick, and not realize that they are dead.

Just that the pain suddenly stopped should make them wonder,shouldnt' ti?

And then presumably that no one around them is responding to them normally.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Opinion Only:

If a spirit still lingers until after the funeral (3 days for us is about 3 hours for the spirit), it may be an extremely rare case of "earthbound spirit", perceivable for us as a "ghost".

Spirits become "earthbound" when there is a residual craving, addiction or feeling of guilt/shame connected to unfinished business that is so strong that one can willfully stop oneself from moving on.

Its very, very difficult not to move on though.

Furthermore I dont think that all "ghosts" are earthbound spirits. Some of them are energy apparitions...fields in which we can look through time.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
That might explain why ghosts tend to center around places where there have been negative experiences, rather than happy ones.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is a good question, sir.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by h1satsu
This is a good question, sir.

I'm a ma'am

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

See, I'd be inclined to maybe believe otherwise? Maybe it's because I've seen it on tv or at the cinema, everyone says they're here for unfinished business, of the sorts.

Well, don't take my word for it, because it probably is fact (is it?! lol!), but I've begun to wonder "What if it's not unfinished business that they're still here for?" What if it's choice? What if they've been bound to Earth for some other reason or other?

Oooh, the possibilities are endless

(Also just a thought! I wasn't challenging your answer! I'm too nice to duel, I'm certainly not clever enough to duel
)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join