It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer & Pelosi signal support for prosecution of Bush officials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Schumer signals support for prosecution of Bush officials

rawstory.com

Echoing Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's words one week ago, New York Sen. Charles Schumer said Sunday that he could support prosecution for Bush officials that participated in torture or broke other laws.

"If there are egregious cases, I don't think you can say, blanket, no prosecutions," Schumer told Fox's Chris Wallace Sunday morning. "If there are egregious cases, yes, you have to look at them.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

Pelosi Open to Prosecution of Bush Administration Officials

The House speaker suggests to "FOX News Sunday" that the law might compel Democrats to press forth on some prosecutions of Bush administration officials, saying they may not "have a right to ignore" them.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is receptive to the idea of prosecuting some Bush administration officials, while letting others who are accused of misdeeds leave office without prosecution, she told Chris Wallace in an interview on "FOX News Sunday."

Source

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Good news indeed. The more officials support a prosecution the better. If sufficient evidence is provided, that is. Although there's no doubt on my mind that enough evidence will be gathered, I don't see a real prosecution being realized. Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with hoping.

It cannot be that countries which highly respect democracy and advocate human rights would allow (former) leaders to commit crimes which are also committed by the terrorists we are fighting against.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Awesome, I really hope they follow through.

The thing about the U.S is supposively our "high moral standards" which we go around policing in other countries.

We have to let the world know, we do not accept international and our own laws being broken.

If we do not prosecute Bush and Cheney and all their cronies for all of the war crimes and crimes against humanity, then we will never have our standing in the world again.

I can only hope against hope that all of them are put on trial and convicted!

Bush might just escape to Paraquay before he is arrested though.

I also believe that many of them will have a hard time leaving the country, now that they are not in the current adminstration and that other countries will now allow those who where part of the Bush adminstration be arrested and tried in their countries if caught there for war crimes.

WOW, I would be literally glued to the T.V watching the trials - hoping for the same outcome of when we put Saddam on trial for his "crimes against humanity" in his country.

If people think about it, Bush has done even worst than Saddam did.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
If people think about it, Bush has done even worst than Saddam did.

Wholeheartedly agree with your statement. There should not be double standards for Western leaders. A crime is a crime, no matter who the offender is.

Ex-US attorney joins terror prosecution team

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A former U.S. attorney who was among nine fired by the Bush administration in 2006 has been working as a prosecutor of suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Word of David Iglesias' position surfaced as the nascent Obama administration circulated a draft executive order that calls for closing the Guantanamo Bay detention center within a year and reviewing the cases of the nearly 245 inmates still held there. The order also would suspend pending war crimes cases for 120 days.

Iglesias, who said he is speaking for himself and not for the Office of Military Commissions, said his cases still could go forward in a federal court, a military court-martial or with the commission, just not at Guantanamo.

He declined to comment about any transition of the war crimes process or about the type of cases he is prosecuting.

AFP

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I hope at the very least, there is a thorough honest investigation. I hope they don't just drop it.

I would really like to see prosecutions, but I don't have much hope for that and when I think realistically, I'd rather the government be spending that money on things we really need now and for our future, than to punish someone.

Bush and Company are NOT going to jail, but to have a real investigation and release the findings would satisfy me.

I'm glad to see it's being talked about so openly and as a real possibility.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Wouldn't you think that the inclusion of such a member in the prosecutorial team might open up the possibility of the evergreen counter complaint of 'political witch-hunt'?

Seems like a bad strategy to have the law and the political machinery so inextricably intertwined.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I would really like to see prosecutions, but I don't have much hope for that and when I think realistically, I'd rather the government be spending that money on things we really need now and for our future, than to punish someone.

Are you aware that this of great importance to the West and in particular America's national security? Why do you think there's such a hatred towards America in recent years? The world is not blind, they can clearly see the double standards. Why do you think there is so much discord among the US and its allies? It also influences the opinion of locals in Afghanistan and Iraq on the West with the result that our reputation has been greatly damaged. Moreover, it causes violence against our soldiers as well as increasing the risk of terrorist attacks.

With a prosecution, we could start repairing our reputation. This doesn't apply for the US only.

reply to post by Maxmars

I don't think it's a good idea. Theoretically speaking, it would be the War Tribunal that would make the final judgment, not the prosecution team. However, for the sake of objectivity, it's not a good idea, no.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Pelosi Open to Prosecution of Bush Administration Officials

The House speaker suggests to "FOX News Sunday" that the law might compel Democrats to press forth on some prosecutions of Bush administration officials, saying they may not "have a right to ignore" them.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is receptive to the idea of prosecuting some Bush administration officials, while letting others who are accused of misdeeds leave office without prosecution, she told Chris Wallace in an interview on "FOX News Sunday."

Source

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
this is going to be amusing!

now will bush tow the line and take responisbility for the actions of the ai government,be the fall guy for others decisions and objectives?

or will he bow out with grace and finger those who are really running the show?

nuremberg trials.....you may have an equal!,lets hope there isnt alpha waves present in the trial as was with the nuremberg trials!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Are you aware that this of great importance to the West and in particular America's national security?

Yes. And don't get me wrong, I'd be applauding prosecution all the way. I think it's the right thing to do to set ourselves right with the world and as a warning to any US government in the future who thinks they can get away with torture and breaking conventions.

I just don't have much hope for it because of the economic situation in the US right now. I think the political world would see it as a witch hunt and get a LOT of push-back and it would turn into a big mess that we'd give up eventually, anyway.

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is nothing but wishful thinking and Pelosi's attempt to garner political points. In order for a proper prosecution of Bush to take place intelligence and evidence that is classified and probably of National Security importance would need to be added into public record. In one short phrase," ain't gonna happen"

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I doubt that their will be any outcome in this case , seems like show and charade of change in the govt and that govt respects international law blah blah ,

this is just a cosmetic image change in USA , there is no real change.USA at its core is a imperialist monster that is a threat to the existence of this world

if Obama will attempt a JFK , he will be assassinated and the country will be put under martial law

[edit on 25-1-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Just as the Chenney Texas Indictment, the Bush rape case, tHE S&L scandal, Contra, etc...., Not to mention Rove's dwindling witness list-(vote fraud)....Prescott's dealings with Nazi Germany (WWII), Connies "gifts" No Bid Contracts all through the Administration, Bailouts, Missing Gold, Files, Ship-full of Palleted $100 Bills, Preemptive War (over 500 Lies just up to the Iraq Invasion...
Even if there was a trial, President Christ would pardon the lot. You would think it was Ford and Nixon, Lincoln & Johnson, Kennedy and the other Johnson, OPEC, Dubai, Torture Island, Military Tribunals, Bin Laden (deceased), but still a threat, the 3 steel structures that all fell the same day, the only three to ever fall period, Her Majesty, Blair, Wire taps, Pocket Justices "Appointing" 43...Bush-Kerry, 322..., Gore and his Opus of Global Warming Nobel fame..(A.K.A. Consollation Prize), Reagan Assasination attempt...I can only say, good thing it failed...as did the Bush-Hinkley Dinner celebration...and on and on....

I am really only trying to say that, IMHO, They will never set foot in any court room, even if it defies Subpoenas.
Just another innovative way to transfer the Fear propaganda to the hope and change slight of hand to once again defuse any thought the sheeple may contemplate regarding civil revolt.

Next week, it will be more financial drama and Treasury empowerment to scrape the crumbs so that not one fiber of a FED reserve note be left for the soon to be nomadic or FEMA held populus.

Get Christ ruffling China's feathers, and we'll see more bomb impact craters than the ever increasing chuck holes along the roads of our infrastructure.

A few innoculations and chemtrails with a parsely garnish, will complete the NWO's (or Dracs, Nephelim, Vatican, Rothchild-Rockefeller, Scherf, Gods, -what-have-you-) plan to complete the take over, prior to our enlightenment by attrition.

I salute all and depart with these words...
See you in the next spiritual acsention of our dimmensional place at the bottom of the compost pile of red, blue, pink.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Who would have ever thought the day would come when we would prosecute a past President, but postpone trials of TERRORISTS who KILLED thousands in our homeland..

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld
Who would have ever thought the day would come when we would prosecute a past President, but postpone trials of TERRORISTS who KILLED thousands in our homeland..

Got a link?

Who are these terrorists that have killed thousands? Do you mean that generically?

Anyway have you forgotten the investigation into Clinton's affairs. It's nothing new. Remember watergate? Nixon?

If Bush and his administration have done nothing wrong; I would think they would welcome an investigation.
lol:

[edit on 25-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld

I'll TELL you who would have thought that:

The ENTIRE WORLD, that realizes that the "supposed terrorists" who were nothing more than an innocent country that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11, who were attacked, murdered, invaded and occupied years on end, had their people locked up without charge and TORTURED, all based on lies, so that these WAR CRIMINALS could fullfill their special-interest agendas.

That's who.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Are we a Banana Republic that prosecutes those of the last administration? In America we don’t do that, we want each administration to smoothly hand over the leadership to the next no matter how far apart their views are. Or do you want each administration to hunt down their predecessors, and carry that fear during their own in what they face at the end of their adminstration?

Also, just because YOU might feel strongly about something doesn't mean you speak for all Americans, so when you see Pelosi do stuff like this she is just playing her audience. As we have seen this past 20 years in Congress, reelection for them is more important than actually getting something done, so Pelosi will say and do things to have people of San Fran continue to vote for her. The last time I looked I don’t live in San Fran nor do I hold their ideals, so I really don’t care what she says for it is all smokescreen anyways.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Anyway have you forgotten the investigation into Clinton's affairs. It's nothing new. Remember watergate? Nixon?

If Bush and his administration have done nothing wrong; I would think they would welcome an investigation.
lol:
[edit on 25-1-2009 by whaaa]

Both of those happen while they were still President, and didn't the next administrations pardon both, or maybe seeing Bill in jail would have been a good thing? Might as well put Hillary right next to him too for I’m sure with enough time, money, and political sway you could put any politician in jail.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Are we a Banana Republic that prosecutes those of the last administration? In America we don’t do that, we want each administration to smoothly hand over the leadership to the next no matter how far apart their views are. Or do you want each administration to hunt down their predecessors, and carry that fear during their own in what they face at the end of their adminstration?

The US would be a Banana Republic if it would not prosecute those who have committed crimes against humanity. Just because he has been president he should be allowed to go unpunished? What a ridiculous logic is that. According to your way of thinking, Hitler should have gone unpunished too, because 'in Germany they don't prosecute former chancellors'.

A crime is a crime, no matter who commits it and no matter what position he or she formerly occupied.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Neither one of them are popular enough to do anything without Obama's support and Obama won't be making a stink about this. It would hurt him more than it would help him, get over it, Bush is not going to be prosecuted for anything. I frankly do NOT want them prosecuted, if you're going to prosecute someone go hang Bernie Maddoff, John Thain, etc. The Bush administration is not above the law, but even if they were drug to court, nothing would happen to them, it would just cause a media circus and would make the country even more polar than it is now. If you want to have see chaos, especially considering the nature of our economy, who is President now, etc...yeah take them to court.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by yellowcard]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join