It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity epidemic shows perils to health reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Obesity epidemic shows perils to health reform

www.reuters.com

CHICAGO (Reuters) - For years, Bob Clegg's insurance company paid out some $3,000 a month for doctor visits, drugs and medical devices to treat the health problems caused by his obesity.

In September 2007, when his weight peaked at 380 pounds (172 kg), he had gastric bypass surgery, and now his health issues -- joint pain, sleep apnea and esophageal problems -- have vanished, and so have the medical bills
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
With over 60% of the adult population officially obese this will put a massive strain on the medical services. With food so cheap in the US and Americans addicted to sugar its going to be an uphill struggle.

The rise of the fast food joints and convenience foods has made it easy for people to become lazy and thus overweight. I know many will say its down to the individual but surely these fast fiood companies play some part in this problem or do they. Is it just a case of food and booze being cheap and provided in massive quantites being the problem or a general lack of willpower on behalf of the consumer.

Whatever the reason it is going to cause alot of health problems ofr the future.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
surly gastric band operations should be given free to overweight people .. it would put a full stop on these people from putting on more weight and end future problems.... by the way im 25 stone
.. my heart pumps pure fat around my body

[edit on 25-1-2009 by fatdad]

new topics

join