It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone on Discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
As posted to the research project, The Discovery Channel is running a show on Supervolcanos featuring Yellowstone. I'll be on to discuss the report after its over. Its airs at 10 pm EDT tonight April 11th 2004.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
thanksforheads up

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
O damn... I missed it... O well, I saw a show on Discovery or TLC or something a while ago one calderas. I never knew they existed before that, and was quite disturbed that something that big is so widely unknown and ignored by the masses.

I also found the idea of a super volcano itself disturbing. Needless to say I had trouble sleeping that night after seeing the show about calderas.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I sent a letter to Discover magazine suggesting they do an article on Yellowstone... maybe they'll do it...

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
i missed it too. Please tell us when you find the time what they said. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Okay, sorry I didn't follow up sooner. I was zonked after a long day retired after the show.

Basically, they touched on a number of topics already covered in the research group but brought up some interesting evidence that I hadn't heard before. It was confirmed by USGS geologist that the magma chamber under Yellowstone is growing and bulging and, if I remember correctly is 60 kilometers long, 30 kilometers wide and 10 kilometers deep. They presented some great graphical representations of this via Digital Elevation Modeling.

Also, one more case in point presented; They examine an anomoly found by genetic researchers. The anomoly happened in the population about 70 to 80 thousand years ago. A bottleneck occured where it is now thought the population on earth dropped to a few thousand in a relatively short period. When these genetic researchers sought to find a corrolating event, they found one. The SuperCaldera of Toba had an eruption 74 thousand years ago, right in the middle of the period in which we see a significant dwindling of population.

I wanted to find a write up or transcript of the show but all they have is the blurb on their websight. They are re-airing the special tonight and anyone that can stay up til 1 am can catch it.

dsc.discovery.com...

volcano.und.nodak.edu...

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Saw the episode last night.I had never known of such a thing until i read the reasearch topic here on ATS.It's a scary thing that will affect all americans and i don't even live near Yellowstone.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
this show is many years old, i remember seeing it about 4 years ago thats where i learned about "yellowstone"

there have been info disconting the "bottleneck"

but everything els they said is basicly true, i wish we could find the thermal image they took.

you guys should look on the big rats thread on it..

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier

there have been info disconting the "bottleneck"

Could that info have been "yikes, we've scared the population half to death with this, we'd better back off and tell them its all okay" ?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
If anyone hears about this being re-aired, please post. I'd like to tape it for viewing during normal hours.
Thanks very much!

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The Science Channel is airing a segment on Super Volcanos at 10 pm tonight, Sunday, June 13th. I know thats just a few minutes away but I just saw it on the guide. It may be the above mentioned segment or a new one. For those interested who do not catch it, I'll report after or tomorrow morning.

AC

Update: It was the same show whoch discussed various SuperVolcanos but centered on Yellowstone.

[edit on 14-6-2004 by astrocreep]

new topics

top topics

join