It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can blind people see their dreams ????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If you are blind from birth do you dream and do you see what other people dream ?

If not what do blind people dream if they dream and what are they saying , I don't expect a blind person to answer this but I am sure some one here knows ,

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Wow.... since a blind person would not know what to "see" I cant seewhy they would... maybe just sounds and maybe colours or something.... Intresting concept... here is a tidbit for you from a blind person with that question:

>>>>"I don't "see" in dreams because I have no visual images on which to base anything. Instead, my dreams are very rich with the senses of my world. My girlfriend (she is sighted) and I have conversations about dreams all the time and we often share dream ideas. It's in the interpretation where we differ. I hope that helps a bit"

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I could be totally wrong here, but my theory is:

Being blind from birth, you're visual cortex or whatever you want to call it has never been stimulated before, is extremly under developed, and that part of the brain simply dosnt function, a born-blind person cannot imagine images, only anything from the 4 other senses.

So they wouldn't visualise anything in their dreams, but would feel other sensations more intensly within a dream, just my assumption.

If you were born normal sighted, say lost your vision 100% at age 20, well you would still dream the same, except it wouldn't contain any new stimuli within the visual dream, just images from the past, and stuff you imagine.

I could be totally wrong though, i must stress this, i just had a quick 5 minute think about it and typed my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the input it is interesting how the brain works ,

If you are blind from birth you still can function very well and people will explain things in detail to you, so I would love to hear if some blind people can see in dreams , But I guess they dont, like another dimension to them

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by yenko13
If you are blind from birth do you dream and do you see what other people dream ?

If not what do blind people dream if they dream and what are they saying , I don't expect a blind person to answer this but I am sure some one here knows ,

Blind people only have a different way of perceiving this world and that's what we can most likely agree on. But society is blind, because as soon as someone is different, this person isn't considered as "normal" anymore. Blind people also have Out-of-Body Experiences and I once listened to a podcast where someone basically said that this ability to see is replaced by an ability of feeling the environment.

Greetings

[edit on 22-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I've spoken to both people who have been born blind, people who have been made blind later in life, and deaf people about dreaming. All of the blind people I've asked, tell me that they dream mostly with hearing. And sometimes smell and taste aswell. The deaf guy i asked told me that he dreamt in pictures and shapes of different colour.

Personally, i think it's fascinating.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
its amazing how we take sight for granted. i have though about this before and this was the conclusion i came to. like people have mentioned our dreams are constructed by the things we have experienced in our day to day lives. sight sound touch smell hearing. so if someone was born blind they would not have the precedent of sight or know what it is to see colours or shapes. the only way blind people could see colour in their dreams would be through genetic memory or OOBE. and i have read somewhere that there are people who were born blind who described SEEING while OOB, true or not who knows but thats the story anyway.

imagine how much more heightened their other senses would be. i bet they can literally hear a pin drop. glad for my limited sight though.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I dont think a blind person would dream in color or know of much color besides maybe shades of black... not sure, but I would think they would beable to dream objects. I mean you can get a shape into your head without seeing it. You just feel the object and then through the sense of touch you can create a mental image of the shape...

So, I would think blind people could dream up objects.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article on people born blind who can see during NDE:

People Born Blind Can See During a NDE

Soul is something that can operate independently of it's body or brain.

It just doesn't know what to compare it's experience to in physical reality.

For example, a blind person may see an apple and see the color red during NDE or OBE, but how would he or she explain it without physical reference?

As for me (born deaf), most of the time I communicate or hear by telepathy in dreams. On rare occasions I may hear voices and understand them. I was able to make a comparison since I used to wear hearing aids.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

When I'm trying to read minds and transmit thoughts (telepathy) to dream characters I get nothing. Can you tell me how this works with you?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

When I'm trying to read minds and transmit thoughts (telepathy) to dream characters I get nothing. Can you tell me how this works with you?

That is difficult to explain. We are accustomed to words. Imagine wordless thoughts. With me, I just understand what was being said and translate into words afterward.

I'll try to think of some examples and post here. It's just too difficult to explain. When I do telepathy in dreams, it just comes automatically and naturally, and fast.

Language is a barrier to telepathy IMHO. If we want to do telepathy, we will have to unlearn to think in words and just think pure thoughts.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Interesting question!

I've heard that babies in the womb dream and always wondered what they'd dream about. I've got a 4 month old and I wonder about her dreams too.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Edit: Reply to Deaf Alien

I think I can start to do this. People who can hear have this internal dialogue, and through it they attach sound to every word they read - tone and voice really.

And it's a total attachment/addition, because obviously those who are deaf or born deaf have no use for attaching this sound to the words. And it becomes attachment because it's not part of the basic symbolism, it's extra.

So imagine for a moment not attaching that sound to the dialogue, and that's a start.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Novise]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
This is my first trip to 'below' oh coolies look at all those smiles over there! Sorry, I got distracted, it's late/early

This is fascinating. I have *never* once considered this question. Kudos

I can't hit that post reply button, too busy looking at these animated smilies!

top topics

join