It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF there was no GOD ??????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
IF there was no GOD would you change anything in your daily life ,

Would you commit crime ?

Would you harm people to get ahead ?

Would you be one that cant picture this and would create your own GOD ?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Well im an athet resorted to crime or abusing others to get ahead, there's a difference between believing in God and morality, just an atheists morality would be based on their individual ideas. I for one grew up with the Bible (chirstianity was quite widespread in schools in England in the 90's... not sure now) and while i don''t believe in a God I do believe that the morals and ideals the Bible supports are important.

If I was going to create a God I'd try and limit his power... make so I'd acknowledge he created us but also acknowledge that as a race we honestly don't need a God anymore... just a father

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
To be honest I would. And its a fact. I used to steal. To be honest I dont think I would be that great of a person. I could get away with a whole lot. But I believe in God and I believe in being good. There is a God and thats a fact. God had a Son Jesus Christ

[Mod edit: removed "alternative" spelling of offensive word.]

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Byrd]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

slymattb Thats seems to me to be what I thought some people would do and I am in the same group as you , Its interesting to see how othere people think

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Morality has nothing to do with religion or belief in god, otherwise the great majority of crimes would be committed by atheists and other non-believers.

Also, if people refrain from committing crimes and/or injuring others because a higher entity might punish them, is that really morality? Or just fear of being punished?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Hmmmmm.... I personally don't think that religion makes you a good person.
I personally don't believe in God, and i consider myself a good person.
I do a lot of good work and help people as often as i can.

I am totally happy and content in the fact that there is no god, and i don't need to rob and steal.

Perhaps flip it on it's head... Let's say i started believing in God...i could go out and rob, steal, kill...whatever..safe in the knowledge i would be saved or forgiven..so perhaps religion gives people licence to do the things you listed?

just a thought

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
No, I don't think religion is responsible for those things, instead those things are responsible for religion.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
If you can't be moral and good without religion, you won't be with one

IMO anyway....I don't think God, or Isis, or Allah, or anything is what makes you moral.

If there was nobody...I would live on as I do now; responsible for myself and not a victim

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by converge
Morality has nothing to do with religion or belief in god, otherwise the great majority of crimes would be committed by atheists and other non-believers.

Also, if people refrain from committing crimes and/or injuring others because a higher entity might punish them, is that really morality? Or just fear of being punished?

That does note mean they dont commit more crime than a active religious person that believes

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
A better question is, if you don't live on after you die, then that means that everything you have ever done, everything that has ever existed, your family, your loved ones, earth, planets, stars, it would be as if they never existed.

You never existed, if you murdered a random person it would not matter because everyone will die, and it will be like it never happened.

Would you live life differently knowing this?

[edit on 26-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yenko13
That does note mean they dont commit more crime than a active religious person that believes

I'm saying that religion plays no part in one's morality, because as I pointed out, if it did, the great majority of criminals would be atheists and other non-believers and that's not the case.

Bad people will do bad things, regardless of their beliefs or religions or lack of.

However
I'm reminded of a Steven Weinberg quote that I wholeheartedly agree with: With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
A better question is, if you don't live on after you die, then that means that everything you have ever done, everything that has ever existed, your family, your loved ones, earth, planets, stars, it would be as if they never existed.

Galileo is dead, is everything he did forgotten and as if he never existed? How about Newton? How about Einstein? How about what Hitler did?

People like to think that (some form of) life goes on after death because man is an egotistical being and is afraid of the unknown.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Galileo is dead, is everything he did forgotten and as if he never existed?

It will be!

Do you see the point I'm making now? newton, eintein, hitler only exist because of us alive now, what happens when earth doesn't exist anymore, when humans go extinct.

It would be as if we never existed.

Your entire world, opinions, everything you know, even this comment exists from your perspective in your brain. When your brain dies, it will all disappear forever, as if it never happened.

So what's the point of living?

Where's the logic in all this?

What would you do differently if you thought this was true?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Can't say I know the answer to the questions you posed, but I would ask you this. If there is a decimation of mankind, either from nuclear war or asteroid collision, etc, and there is one guy left, barely alive, no idea what just happend, crushed under a bathtub. He prays to God to help him, but slowly bleeds to death. After that - quiet - humans are dead and gone - does God still "exist"?

ColoradoJens

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Do you see the point I'm making now? newton, eintein, hitler only exist because of us alive now, what happens when earth doesn't exist anymore, when humans go extinct.
It would be as if we never existed.

Do you think like that regarding other species of animals that have gone extinct here on Earth? Or animals don't have 'souls', only humans are worthy of souls, and past and future lives?

So what's the point of living?
Where's the logic in all this?

The point of living? Do you want me to speculate on what's the point and meaning of life?

The logic in all this? Who says there is logic to all this, or that the logic behind all this is even at our grasp?

I think these notions about souls and reincarnation are just ways for man to find purpose and order out of the chaos, of trying to rationalize things that are out of his reach.

What would you do differently if you thought this was true?

I do think this is true and I don't live any differently. I don't think there are souls, or I will live after my body dies, and I'm not out on the street stealing or killing people.

And maybe it's because I know this that I enjoy my life, knowing that this is the only one I have, so I better use it for something useful and good.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by yenko13
IF there was no GOD would you change anything in your daily life ,

Would you commit crime ?

Would you harm people to get ahead ?

Would you be one that cant picture this and would create your own GOD ?

There is no God, and no, I don't commit any crimes or harm my fellow species.

Last time I checked, followers of organized religious institutions were (and are) the ones who crucified and burned their fellow man for not following their religion......

Life is filled with irony.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

You never existed, if you murdered a random person it would not matter because everyone will die, and it will be like it never happened.

Would you live life differently knowing this?

That is a better way of putting it thank you Phoenix.

I would have to rethink my whole life , I based a good part of it on the faith that i would go to heaven , But now I am not sure , I will post my thoughts when i get out of work

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I'm saying that religion plays no part in one's morality, because as I pointed out, if it did, the great majority of criminals would be atheists and other non-believers and that's not the case.

Bad people will do bad things, regardless of their beliefs or religions or lack of.

So your saying that The God factor is nil, Nobody acts good or bad because of GOD

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by yenko13

Can't say I know the answer to the questions you posed, but I would ask you this. If there is a decimation of mankind, either from nuclear war or asteroid collision, etc, and there is one guy left, barely alive, no idea what just happend, crushed under a bathtub. He prays to God to help him, but slowly bleeds to death. After that - quiet - humans are dead and gone - does God still "exist"?

ColoradoJens

What if a dog came by and saved his life would GOD "exist" and would God be just for Humans if we dont "exist" there is other life forms , Why be exclusive

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Sometimes I believe criminals are only alive today because of a God. If there was no God then who would stop the good people from killing those who choose to steal, kill and commit other crimes? I'd like to see all those who can't take care of their self and choose to hurt others gone. Wiped out from humanity. The world would be a better place without them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join