It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Legal Foes Now Obama's Legal Team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Bush's Legal Foes Now Obama's Legal Team

www.politico.com

President Barack Obama is staffing his Justice Department with some of his predecessor's fiercest critics, and lawyers who have spent years defining the limits of executive power will now be helping to wield it.

The change may be most dramatic at the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel — which defended some of Bush’s most controversial policies — where a small cadre of lawyers who had an outsized influence on legal criticism of Bush are taking the top three jobs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This can't be anything but GOOD!

Obama said he was going to change things, well, here's a change!

Obama hiring lawyers that actually want to keep the president in line with the powers that are given to him!

Seems like he's gathering around him a team of lawyers that don't want to show him how to manipulate the letter of the law (like Bush's lawyers did), but define the letter of the law the way it was intended for the president to follow.

Bush must be about to pull his hair out right now! He's probably thinking, "I had everything set up soooo perfectly, and he's going to ruin it all!"

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
As an Obama supporter, I can't tell you how good this makes me feel. I am glad that the guy actually has some balls to make the change he wants to make with the people there and that he isn't all just talk. So far, Obama seems to have been making the right moves. I just hope that this is an indicator with how he's going to act for the next 4 years, that he will do what he says. Glad to see Obama has finally implemented the change he was talking about and got people so hyped up about.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I will contently smile when I see Bush behind bars. mmmmmmmm.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That's really awesome. When he reopens investigation on 9-11 and finds Bush guilty of warcrimes I'll be happy :-)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Right now the republicans are holding up Eric Holder because they want assurances that he won't prosecute Bush or any of his officials.
What they don't understand is that it is TOTALLY unreasonable for them to ask an Attorney General nominee to bow to political pressure in such a way. If there is prosecutable evidence, the Justice Department MUST prosecute.

Bush got into a bunch of hot water for politicizing the Justice Department now the republicans want to continue the trend by holding up the appointment of a man whose views are the exact opposite of the previous administration. This may have something to do with the fact that the republicans are complicit in many ways. Not to mention the leadership of some of the Democrats, i.e. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, can't leave those two douche bags out.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Oh man, this is great news.
With the reports of Karl Rove being issued another subpeona, Pelosi and the other fellow talking about possible prosecution and THIS, I am truly happy!

I just hope they don't dissappoint me through inaction.
Justice needs to be done. The Bill of Rights has been trampelled on for eight years now. This is not acceptable.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Strikes me, just looking on from the sidelines here in Canada, that bringing someone so young into the office of president may have in itself been a good thing in as much as he isn't so encumbered by long built up allegiances with the corrupt crowd that has been there all along.
He is relatively more free to think independently and do what he believes is right, or so it seems.
So far so good; very good actually!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Strikes me, just looking on from the sidelines here in Canada, that bringing someone so young into the office of president may have in itself been a good thing in as much as he isn't so encumbered by long built up allegiances with the corrupt crowd that has been there all along.

Uh, except that you seem to have forgotten that obama is a product of the chicago democrat machine - one of the most corrupt organizations in the U.S. As an example, 3 demo governors from Illinois have gone to jail, with a 4th seemingly on the way to jail. Another example, obama won his first election by having his main opponents removed from the ballot on technicalities. And obama's chief advisor - rahm emmanuel - is closely tied with that same corrupt machine.

[edit on 1/27/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
really guys

ATS

really?

rea....lly?

Still looking and living in the past?

Blaming the men of the past for the troubles of today?

Looking to take your self off the hook and place the blame on a Figure head?

Pathetic

So, So, pathetic and interesting at the same time...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
There's absolutely nothing wrong when looking backwards to correct todays mistakes. I believe this current administration is one of the most educated the USA has had in years. Between the Clintons and the Obamas you have 4 attorneys and Mrs. Biden holds a PhD.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skydancer
There's absolutely nothing wrong when looking backwards to correct todays mistakes. I believe this current administration is one of the most educated the USA has had in years. Between the Clintons and the Obamas you have 4 attorneys and Mrs. Biden holds a PhD.

there is when you been doing it every day

for 1

years

that becomes unhealthy and simply unacceptable

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
What are you really saying? That Obama, Biden and Clinton weren't doing enough during Bush's administration? Please tell me how you REALLY feel.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Uh, except that you seem to have forgotten that obama is a product of the chicago democrat machine - one of the most corrupt organizations in the U.S.

No, I am not blind to the murky reality -- there are no angels out there. No one involved in politics has their hands clean.
I guess I just see this administration as being potentially a whole lot better relative to the last one -- not perfect by any means. Obama, even if he was perfect could still not change the entire corrupt bureaucracy overnight.
As long as he is making progress in some areas then that is already better than all the backtracking of evolution that went on for the previous 8 years.
Only time will tell how this turns out. For now I still have some optimism.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack
Still looking and living in the past?

Blaming the men of the past for the troubles of today?

What do you mean?

You don't think that the troubles we are in today were caused by things that were done in the past?

You are kidding, right? If your not, then what you are saying is that the troubles of today were caused by actions or things done today!

Everybody KNOWS that's not true!

The troubles we are seeing now can be directly linked to policies that were changed IN THE PAST!

Hell yeah we're blaming the men of the past for our troubles today!

They are the ones who caused/allowed it to happen!

[edit on 1/27/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
no, oblongo had his OWN "allegiances with a corrupt crowd', not in Dc, but still corrupt.

All he brought was a sneakier way to fool people! The only thing he thinks is"right" is what is in his and cronies best interest, nothing more. You should be pitying us right now.

Originally posted by wayno
He is relatively more free to think independently and do what he believes is right, or so it seems.
So far so good; very good actually!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Uh, except that you seem to have forgotten that obama is a product of the chicago democrat machine - one of the most corrupt organizations in the U.S. As an example, 3 demo governors from Illinois have gone to jail, with a 4th seemingly on the way to jail.
[edit on 1/27/2009 by centurion1211]

Being from Chicago myself I can tell you that those familiar with Obama before he went to DC tend to giggle at this kind of statement.

Yes there is corruption in Chicago and there is a machinery...Obama was despised by the Chicago political machinery. He did not play ball with them. This was written about and covered long before he ran for president.

Inconvenient for those working the guilt by association angle, but true all the same.

Our latest corrupt Gov went as far as to call Obama a Mother effer for not playing ball. The feds have it on tape.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by maybereal11]

top topics

join