It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I've been thinking what would happen if we let all hell go loose.

Perhaps that will create more debate =p.

I think there should just be 1 thread about hating bush and 1 thread about hating Israel and 1 thread about liking Obama, and 1 thread about Obama's documents. Then people add useful evidences to those threads.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
The political forums isnt the only area in need of attention. The new middle east forum definately contains as much if not more of this member bashing and trashing habbit. Alot of the forums under the ATS umbrella do. But those two, political and middle east forums are the worst.

Cheers!!!!

I totally agree the middle east forum is another forum where a number of israeli members come online late at night (US night) and bait and complain. There main purpose for being here appears to spread propaganda and to call foul when countered or to accuse others of anti-semitism.

Regarding the Obama thing, I do believe that there is a general sense of "don't touch Obama", whilst Bushbashing continues ad nauseum, even now that he is not in office. I was never a Bush supporter nor am I an Obama supporter. If we can't discuss conspiracy theories including the Messiah thought that has been prevalent for months then it becomes rather pointless being on a conspiracy website.

But definitely civility is a vital essence of constructive debate.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Post Bans

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
(2) Any posts/replies that contain a direct insult of another member will be subject to immediate posting bans, without warning.

It's fairly common for members, especially new members, to misinterpret the nature and purpose of post bans. In light of the current situation, I think it would be good to clarify their role.

Post bans are not intended to be punitive. Rather, they are used to put an immediate stop to problem behavior and prevent things from getting worse.

Post bans are, by nature, temporary. However, unless otherwise specified, they remain in place until lifted by a member of the senior staff, and only after the post-banned member has read, understands and agrees to honor the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use.

For more on post bans, please see: If You Have Been Post Banned...

Permanent Account Bans

Members who are habitually abusive or otherwise commit repeated or serious T&C violations may be subject to permanent account bans.

In such cases, former members may use the contact form to appeal, but should be aware that permanent bans are never applied without ample cause, and are rarely reversed.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As a relative newcomer here I welcome the reminder that we all, (me too!), can, and should, be "civil" with one another, especially in the midst of debate.......I find the debates here to be among the best online and look forwarded to hearing and sharing more views, opinions, thoughts, ideas, support and.........

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
When I saw the U2U 'civility and decorum'; I figured that I got a post deleted or something. Thankfully wasn't the case.

It's true, over the last 2 months ATS has been kinda out of control. But as long as there isn't any outright profanity, then I think all is well. Sure.. the debates have been quite heated lately, but that's what ATS is all about right? as long as everyone keeps cool.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Damned straight, politics are the source, the motive and the crime.

When people get involved in political issues and campaigns they learn that the best way to deal with an argument or an opponent is through mud slinging, insults and personal attacks. Sometimes they are compelled to attack the messenger and not the message because that is how the "big boys and girls do it" The issue becomes the person, the person becomes the target, the issue is secondary to the credibility of the person presenting the issue, the credibility of that person must be damaged first, even if accomplished through baseless allegations, lies or insults. It is the American way!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Thanks this was getting out of hand thank you thank you.
Now lets get back to things hiding in our closets and boogy men in Black suits.

I think something just landed in my backyard

PEACE!
SLAY

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

SkepticOverlord in reply to your OP
Members should also be aware this is a WWW site it’s not all about what happens in the White House. At times it is though, and like it or not are on display to the world. I am sure other none US members like me get tired of it more easily. I almost gave up here because of the tone, so I am pleased you have taken this action. There will be a next time no doubt.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Point taken, lets all fight fair............One stick for you and one for me.....
................... A lot of swinging lately, I guess we have all been bruised...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
SkepticOverlord, it seems like you're placing a lot of blame on the liberals here. What about those conservatives that have been posting about Obama's birth certificate-- or those that have been making false stories-- or have been making questionable claims about Obama before he's done anything? Tons of conservatives have talked about a lot of things with baseless claims-- accusing liberals of doing things which is outrageous-- or just putting a spin on a liberal idea to make it seem like it's a hanous crime-- like saying abortion is a holocaust. I don't see why so much blame should be placed on much of the liberals here. How about the conservatrolls that seem to be the most vocal that make up stuff and just believe any conspiracy just because it sounds good? What do we do about them? I applaud you for reinstating a policy that we've had for quite some time but I just ask for the same of the conservatives.

I've seen a lot of baiting by the conservatives, with them calling him the messiah, and, them trying to make liberals seem ignorant, when they're ignorant of the last 8 years. I've also seen conservatives try to rewrite history. Please, are you telling us that we have to have a backbone and hold ourselves to decorum when you're not asking for them to do the same? I can point out tons of conservative troll threads meant to inflame liberals or inflame other posters that had little grain of truth to them... but you forget that the thing is that they're attacking Obama and he's only been in office for a few days when we used to support Bush for at least the first few years he was in office... but they're already against Obama... I mean at least give him a chance.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

Where is your proof to disprove their claims and proofs???

Isn't that what this Board is for? Active argument, discussion, suggestions, etc.... Why would I accept your sayings, statements, averments, allegations, and claims of truth telling any less, or more so, than another. Doesn't Re- Visionist history teach us that history goes to the victor? How do I know you are not a Re- Visionist? How do you know that I am not? To protect all, shouldn't all history be pressed forward? If an attack on your culture or beliefs is an offense to you and the attacks are not directed specifically to you, then, don't you have the option to ignore the poster or posters? Why should I let one person's narrow or broad world view dictate what information, for or against, an issue I get to be exposed to and that is available for me to be allowed to research and/ or not allowing for such claims as I see fit?

I think Israel took the land from the Caananites by Force, and are still taking it by Force from their Muslim Ancestors, just as America did to the American Native People's, but, that doesn't mean I don't want to know all sides, fabricated or not. Sometimes what a group chooses to fabricate is just as educational and telling as what is not fabricated.

Personally, I think all sides are ignorant if the whole of all sides is not known and understood when deciding an issue. Is it uncivil of me to believe most folks, such as I, live in ignorance, because of Censors and Re- Visionists who are only concerned with their own feelings or biased agendas about certain knowledges and what can or can't be revealed?
And aren't you only baited if you allow yourself to be hooked? Doesn't the ignore button work for just such occassions?

[edit on 24-1-2009 by PhyberDragon]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Is it just me.. or is something different about ATS all of a sudden?

I notice that the spacing between 'location' and 'mood' has been expanded.. what's that about? .. also, the 'reply to' looks like it has a different position now.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Our Topic: Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

Let's please try to stay focused.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhyberDragon

My concern is not to prove to them whether they're wrong or not. It's just the way they deny ignorance. They deny their own version of ignorance, which, is okay. But when I see these threads with overt racism or these very hate filled threads by the conservatives-- I just begin to wonder if we actually hated the conservatives like that or we just hated the Republican party when they were under Bush. Also, I just would like to see less of the Obama is a Muslim stuff or the Obama is not the messiah or is the messiah stuff and more analytical discussions of what he is doing.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm going to throw down my own guilty glove and admit i have been a trifle rude to other members, possibly in the face of ignorance and also possibly in the knowledge that the word 'ignorance' has been bandied around somewhat to a tooth filing sense of annoyance like such folk have coined a not-so comedy catch phrase.

This website consists of a lot of ignorant people and also the complete opposite, and i myself put myself halfway up that pile.

But unlike a lot of the folk here I admit my mistakes, I am here to learn.
And i try not to swear that is what turns a semi-decent thread down the path of rusty vulgarity (full of holes), except for maybe non-offensive words such as 'feck' and '#e' which i think represent a far more decent way of explaining ones emotions and simply involves adding or changing a vowel, which to most of us 'awakened' folk (that's another word that is used too much on this website by the way, that and 'sheeple' as though labelling the people who need our help ISN'T creating a divide?) but we're all guilty of using words.

But i ask ye... As a community, Nay as a sense of a growing soul of cloud of amorphous thought patterns that have somehow slipped into binary form. I ask YE.......

Think. Emotions aren't bad. Neither are the words 'feckin #e', just because they're humourourourou'rous (

[edit on 24-1-2009 by mr-lizard]

(I see on further studious examination of one's post, one has noticed only ONE of my TWO 'swear words' has been censored. Although technically feck is slightly more 'non-offensive' than '#e'

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I totally agree the middle east forum is another forum where a number of israeli members come online late at night (US night) and bait and complain. There main purpose for being here appears to spread propaganda and to call foul when countered or to accuse others of anti-semitism.

Do you think that it's fair to make a generalization like that about anyone who feels a certain way? Just because a member feels a certain way about an issue you have immediately decided where they are from and what their motives are? Perhaps you could think that maybe they just differ from your opinion?

Civility goes a long way.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Hey, don't get me wrong. I really am glad this topic was made. I am in the middle of reading a book called Nobody Left to Hate: Teaching Compassion After Columbine and it's about how the people who shot up Columbine High School were teased or were mocked and how people who are made fun of feel left out and then may feel like they need to act aggressive and there are tips on how to prevent that. I think from what I have learned from the book we could apply on ATS and we could establish a sense of civility. We need to bring back our motto and tell people no matter what ideology they are they are supposed to deny ignorance. We need to create an atmosphere where everyone can discuss their point of view. I also want to say-- I am getting nervous of the growing members on ATS who say that Obama is the messiah and are serious about it. We need to do something about that. Things that are said like that are increasing the animosity between us and the conservatives. I think we can talk with conservatives and conservatives can work with us on denying ignorant. I think we need to establish multipartisan discussions on ATS. I think it can be done.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I am of two minds on this subject. I think that having to maintain strict decorum and politeness all the time is b o r i n g ! That's why I got out of social work - just couldn't stand all that nicey nicey stuff.
I like spiced up conversations with lots of off-color commentary, and yes, even swear words.
But that is just me. I know not everyone is that way and so I capitulate.

What I can't stand is the need some have to explode into tyrannical counter-fire to defend against a rather mildly stated point of view. Its even worse when they gang up on you and are just as vehement when defending some third party. Their main vehemence is not about the message but the messenger.

Ignoring these kinds of people can be difficult, but doing so is probably the only way out. Personal battles that go on for pages are usually a total waste of everyone else's time.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Can someone point me to a conspiracy site where there is no civility? Seriously, I need to insult someone.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I am of two minds on this subject. I think that having to maintain strict decorum and politeness all the time is b o r i n g ! That's why I got out of social work - just couldn't stand all that nicey nicey stuff.

Well... there are plenty of other online venues where tit-for-tat gratuitous arguments are the norm. If you're into that thing, there's no shortage of destinations. But that's not our mandate, we anticipate people come here to engage in an exchange of ideas on highly provocative topics -- it's impossible to do that if the dialogue strays from the topic to each other.

That being said, we're certainly not expecting any lack of spirit. Pointed and spirited debate can be easily accomplished without personal insults.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

Do you think that it's fair to make a generalization like that about anyone who feels a certain way? Just because a member feels a certain way about an issue you have immediately decided where they are from and what their motives are? Perhaps you could think that maybe they just differ from your opinion?

Civility goes a long way.

You make a valid point but when the behavior is totally outrageous towards you and unusually irrational and then you are being accused of anti-semitism for stating the opposite perspective from theirs doesn't exactly sound like me making a "generalization".

I have no interest in controlling contradictory opinions, but I have to object when it's rather defamatory in nature. Or when someone who has insulted you suddenly in the middle of some manic post staing that you are pro-carnage starts saying my friends call me whoever?

When you respond by saying "Then I guess nobody calls you that" - they report you for uncivil behavior? I said no more and no less than that. The person concerned pulled the same trick on numerous people that night.

Or another person on the Israel/Gasa posts who made you his special "respected ally" so he could track your movements because you "are anti-semitic".

"Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that I am not being followed."

I come to ATS because I find many very intelligent and well informed here, not because I am out to have a bunfight. Contrary opinions clarify our vision of what the actual truth might be.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join