It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two ex-Guantanamo inmates appear in Al Qaeda video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Two ex-Guantanamo inmates appear in Al Qaeda video

www.abc.net.au

Two men released from the US "war on terror" prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba have appeared in a video posted on a jihadist website, the SITE monitoring service reported.

One of the two former inmates, a Saudi man identified as Abu Sufyan al-Azdi al-Shahri, or prisoner number 372, has been elevated to the senior ranks of Al Qaeda in Yemen, a US counter-terrorism official said.

Three other men appear in the video, including Abu al-Hareth Muhammad al-Oufi, identified as an Al Qaeda field commander. SITE later said he was prisoner number 333.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
My question is simply this.

Should the US be shutting down Guantanamo knowing these
me will undoubtedly return to the battle field?

These two have said their incarceration only strengthened their desire to continue with the jihad.

Quote: "By Allah, imprisonment only increased our persistence in our principles for which we went out, did jihad for, and were imprisoned for," al-Shihri was quoted as saying.

What do you think? A bit premature?

Mungo

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You mean those CIA created videos?

Please. Those people are being handeled. This is all a big joke.

Black-ops, manipulation, infiltration... never heard of that?

And SITE... please. This SITE is a CIA website.

Anyway, Guantanamo has been well exposed of interning innocent people and torturing them. This is inacceptable at any cost. PERIOD.

I won't hold my breath on Obama closing Guantanamo.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Now isn't that a nice coincidence..

Soon after President Obama announces that he will close Guantanamo Bay within a year we have 2 ex Guantanamo inmates shown in a video posted on a jihadist website.

All we need now is a report of an ex-inmate to be involved in a "terrorist attack" against US civilians/military to help turn the president's resolve to close Guantanamo Bay.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Even if they really are back with Alqaeda, allowing our lives to be ruled by the fear of another attack in such a way that it leads to things like Guantanamo Bay, means they've won.

Let em go, do what they want to do, you said they were returning to the battlefield, I wonder how many really were terrorists before they were rounded up. Even the media referred to them as Terror Suspects.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Maybe what they went through at gitmo made them join up? This is just what the "war on terror" is good for -- making more terrorists.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freelancer
Now isn't that a nice coincidence..

Soon after President Obama announces that he will close Guantanamo Bay within a year we have 2 ex Guantanamo inmates shown in a video posted on a jihadist website.

All we need now is a report of an ex-inmate to be involved in a "terrorist attack" against US civilians/military to help turn the president's resolve to close Guantanamo Bay.

Oh how predictable, the pre-electtion-Obama apologists are already preparing the finger pointing for the next attack.

I don't know what you rely on for your news source but talk radio hosts have been reporting about ex Gitmo detainees returning to the battlefield for a few years.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Seriously we didn't have ppl following them ? @ some point during all this torture NO ONE slipped a mini GPS tracker in them ?

We have dropped the ball again.. Have none of them watched "24" ? Really how come we don't just put these tv producers in charge?

Even local cops get this .. You let a high profile suspect go .. You track them to find out if you were right..

Did no one think they might get vetted? I mean if i was held in say Iraq with no charges or lawyer or anything for say 4 years . While my family was harassed and or murdered (Even if it wasn't by my captors)

I may just consider joining up with w/e ever resistance is trying to tear down that system ...

[edit on 25-1-2009 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

Some good points made in this thread so far. d11 - I hadn't thought of that but you are right. I mean, if you are tossing away the book for how you treat them, then I wouldn't see why they wouldn't track them like that.

The thread made me think of this. Its often been said that our normal US prison system makes people worse than went they went in. For example, a guy gets sent in for minor crime and when he comes out he has connections, more "street smarts", and can be a lot tougher, meaner and colder than when he went in. In other words, he may be more likely to commit worse crimes when he gets out because of the environment he was in.

Now, if consider these Git-mo guys in that same light. Given the harshness of their treatment - why would it be surprising they could come out as more of a threat than when they went in?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I heard on PBS the other day that 61 former Gitmo vacationers had been found in combat again after being released.

This is the problem with taking non-uniformed prisoners.

No prisoners, no prisons, no problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
I heard on PBS the other day that 61 former Gitmo vacationers had been found in combat again after being released.

There are hundreds of thousands of fighters, torturing a couple of hundred is NOT going to fix anything. Plus many become fighters because they need the work. They even had illiterate 13 year old kids locked up in Gitmo as "suspected leaders".

Though I do suppose a few years of torture will drive many nuts, and it becomes their mission to fight against the folks that did that to them.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
More bull crap from the US Fascist state, they should keep gitmo open for the real terrorists and murderers, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, Horrowitz, Rice, Powell and all the other vermin that have blood on their hands and money in their pockets.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well if we release them and they go over to the Al Qaeda that might not be such a bad thing. Who knows, maybe they wont get captured again and they end up getting killed.

I don't know how you guys feel about that but as far as I am concerned it solves our problem.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
When the Obama administration considers releasing Gitmo prisoners, two former prisoners turn up on videos being bandied about by Site.

Who are Site;

The original name was MEMRI,

Selective Memri Brian Whitaker investigates whether the 'independent' media institute that translates the Arabic newspapers is quite what it seems

www.guardian.co.uk...

* Brian Whitaker, the Middle East editor for the Guardian newspaper in the United Kingdom, has been one of the most outspoken critics of MEMRI, writing: "My problem with Memri is that it poses as a research institute when it's basically a propaganda operation,"[5] and that "the stories selected by Memri for translation follow a familiar pattern: either they reflect badly on the character of Arabs or they in some way further the political agenda of Israel."[4] Whitaker has also complained that "MEMRI's website does not mention you [Carmon] or your work for Israeli intelligence. Nor does it mention MEMRI's co-founder, Meyrav Wurmser, and her extreme brand of Zionism.... Given your political background, it's legitimate to ask whether MEMRI is a trustworthy vehicle."[5]

* Leila Hudson writes in the journal Middle East Policy, "MEMRI simultaneously highlights stories emphasizing the most extreme stereotypes of clashing Arab and Islamic civilization, which would not otherwise come to light. In effect, it amplifies the noise that most effectively distracts from the projects of engagement and negotiation. This is compounded by the interlinked series of websites, blogs and forums on the right wing of the think-tank periphery. Like the Israeli disinformation site Debka.com, MEMRI produces and amplifies noise, while buttressing the weak 'clash of civilizations' theory with selective extremist writing."[17]

* Political scientist Norman Finkelstein has stated that MEMRI "uses the same sort of propaganda techniques as the Nazis." "They take things out of context in order to do personal and political harm to people they don’t like." He believes that "it’s a reliable assumption that anything MEMRI translates from the Middle East is going to be unreliable." [18] Wiki

The big question are, where was the video initially broadcast, do family members of these former prisoners know when they went underground and how do we know they haven't been disappeared by mossad for propaganda purposes and immediately dispatched?

Why would a 'radical' group produce a video with former Gitmo prisoners just when people are about to be released?

Very odd indeed.

top topics

join