It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelandic government becomes first to be brought down by the credit crunch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Icelandic government becomes first to be brought down by the credit crunch

www.dailymail.co.uk

The government of Iceland today became the first to be effectively brought down by the credit crunch. After several nights of rioting over the financial crisis, Prime Minister Geir Haarde, surrendered to increasing pressure and called a general election for May. A poll would not normally be held until 2011.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The people of Iceland have forced a change at the top of their government for the financial mess they put everyone in. There was basically no American MSM coverage of the several nights of riots in Iceland that lead to this. I have to wonder why this was story was suppressed.

Who is going to be next? I fear that this is just the beginning and will be more to follow. The house of cards is collapsing

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wow.

I am guessing that the MSM suppression stems from a desire to not encourage American riots (monkey see, monkey do) as we are experiencing our own economic troubles.

There is no reason to frighten people any further would be a motivating factor in my opinion.

That said...wow. I knew Iceland was in trouble but I am still impressed at this.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I see your point, but I doubt it was "for our own good". It was for their own good, that they keep the news from us.

When the news companies start deciding what news shouldn't be heard by the public, because it is bad for the people in charge, and then the news doesn't get heard, they aren't news companies at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
I see your point, but I doubt it was "for our own good". It was for their own good, that they keep the news from us.

Semantics...

You should know where I stand on the issue of cursory journalism in this nation...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I would think that the reason we haven't seen rioting ect. And probably wont for a bit is we just had a leader change ..

Weren't they rioting to get a change in leadership? Seems like it would be counter productive to riot here at this time .. Give it a year ..

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Wow.

I am guessing that the MSM suppression stems from a desire to not encourage American riots (monkey see, monkey do) as we are experiencing our own economic troubles.

There is no reason to frighten people any further would be a motivating factor in my opinion.

That said...wow. I knew Iceland was in trouble but I am still impressed at this.

It proves to me that that the media is controlled by the government and does not simply report the news anymore. I mean special forces had to rescue the Prime Minister of Iceland from his car after he was surrounded by a mob of angry citizens. That should be big news world wide. Take a look at the front page of CNN, one of the major new outlets in America. No mention of anything happening in Iceland.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Being that the economy is based on people's faith in the market... optimism vs pessimism, don't forget that we have "In God We Trust" etched on every coin and printed on every bill.

Covering the ugly on Iceland at the moment will only lower people's morale.

Ignorance in this game is more then just bliss it is a matter of staying a float or sinking.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Just as important is the need for global recognition of the fact that in modern civilization - it is the governed who are in charge. Most governments are so entrenched and obsessed with continuation of THEIR governance that they see events like these as catastrophic events... but somehow they will expend all sorts of energies and resources to deny that the catastrophic event was, in essence, THEMSELVES and their own contrivances and machinations.

I pray that the people of Iceland exercise their common sense when the task of 'reinventing' their government begins, and they bear in mind that those who desire political power are usually the last people to whom it should be given.

As far as the media's evident reticence to produce coverage for this story; why would they? They are in the entertainment business, and they might suffer deeply if they were answerable for any public 'responsibility.'

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
We do not need anyone helping us for our own good !

This is what caused most of this to happen now! For our own good
they did not tell us about what they had done or what was going on.

Own might be surprised how much the people would and could help if hey new the truth.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

The people of Iceland have forced a change at the top of their government for the financial mess they put everyone in. There was basically no American MSM coverage of the several nights of riots in Iceland that lead to this. I have to wonder why this was story was suppressed.

Who is going to be next? I fear that this is just the beginning and will be more to follow. The house of cards is collapsing

www.dailymail.co.uk

Have you noticed how much the Italians have rebooted their government as of yet?

It happens a lot in countries like this.

When was the last time Iceland had one of these "changes" of government?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalu
We do not need anyone helping us for our own good !

This is what caused most of this to happen now! For our own good
they did not tell us about what they had done or what was going on.

Own might be surprised how much the people would and could help if hey new the truth.

The protests were peaceful over the weekend after a week of violence. Here is some video from Saturday after the govt agreed to resign. It is great to see the people getting together to celebrate a change they made happen. US media is still minimizing this story.

www.ireport.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Because people think protesting and riots do nothing this day and age. Showing them this is not the case is not in the best interests of the people who wish to manipulate things. Nor those who wish for the status quo to continue.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

. There was basically no American MSM coverage of the several nights of riots in Iceland that lead to this. I have to wonder why this was story was suppressed.

Hey there E,

I heard nothing of this. You're right, I'm very surprised of the suppression. I like the angle of not wanting the US mass media getting their (my) people all riled up.

While I agree that this is just the beginning of more things to come it strikes me that this could be a sign for the NWO, if you believe in the sort of thing.
The more governments that fail and are rebuilt, the more chance their is to have someone inserted in them, from an organization like the NWO.

I know my thoughts on this are a bit out there, but then again.....

SeeYa!!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
as for press coverage: none here in germany, either. none that i'm awayre of, anyway, and i'm usually one to check with the news quite freqently. just though i'd mention...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

While I agree that this is just the beginning of more things to come it strikes me that this could be a sign for the NWO, if you believe in the sort of thing.
The more governments that fail and are rebuilt, the more chance their is to have someone inserted in them, from an organization like the NWO.

I don't know but I think the people behind the idea of a NWO would not want this type if thing happening. I think they have the players in place that they want and the people getting in the way by ousting government leaders only alters their plans. This could be why the media is not covering Iceland. They do not want this type of action speading.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Italy changes Government once every 3 months!

But to answer your question, the last election in Iceland was in May 2007..

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The seething crowd spattered the building with paint and yoghurt, yelling and banging pans, hurling fireworks and flares at the windows and even lighting a fire in front of the main doors.

Well at least they are directing their anger at the government specifically and not just torching cars, or attacking people randomly.

Never realized the entire population was only 300,000 people. Sheesh must be truly like one big family.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Never realized the entire population was only 300,000 people. Sheesh must be truly like one big family.

I kind of envy them that. Its possible that they can 'cohesively' control their government, and not the other way around.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
More:

Pretty amazing...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join