It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in movies always left-handed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well, like almost everyone i guess, i like watching movies on my free time. And if it's an action/thriller movie, my mom often likes to watch too.

For quite some time now, she's been always pointing out that whenever there is writing going on in the scene, people are always using the left hand.

Of course it's nothing unusual for actors to be left-handed, just that it would be a weird coincidence if they all were in those scenes, since there are far more right-handed people in the world.

Most of the times i suggest that it could be because of flipped footage, but i never noticed mirrored signs in the image.

I never really caught anyone writing with the right hand in a movie, to show to my mom and disprove her theory, but then again i never really pay attention to such small details when watching movies. (That's why i enjoy the videos which point out all the things i miss, like masonic symbolism, pre-9/11 warnings and so on.)

My mom said she noticed that on some english news channel too. (Must be bbc or cnn.)

Just today we were watching some tv series, and she pointed it out again, so i figured i'd finally post it here, and maybe people would point out some scenes from popular movies which have people writing with the right hand.

OR,

it could turn out, that it's another strange little thing hollywood likes to place in its movies. (Of course not as obviuos as the "Mass epidemic, Quarantine and Kill" conditioning going on recently).

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Disobey]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I was just watching TV and OBama was writing and using.....
his left hand. wow.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is funny. I also have noticed this.
It seems SO much more common than I remember.
Perhaps I am just watching more movies? More lefties?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Could it be that people who use their left hand are more creative thinkers while those using the right are more analytical?

Or could it be a vast conspiracy. Those actors are reptilian. They control the world through politics and films...

I always knew Matt Damon was a demon... Damon/Demon... See what I'm saying?

Actually, I have no idea. I use both hands. *pats himself on the back and tells himself he is special, unlike the rest*

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by speaknoevil07
his left hand. wow.

I understand your sarcasm, a conspiracy like this would be ludicruos, but it's still an interesting idea to ponder, if there really are more left handed people in movies.

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Could it be that people who use their left hand are more creative thinkers while those using the right are more analytical?

That's a fact, so maybe if their artistic, that's why they are left handed and have choosen the actors profesion.

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Actually, I have no idea. I use both hands. *pats himself on the back and tells himself he is special, unlike the rest*

My mom does too, but she mainly writes with the left hand, so maybe that's why she pays so much attention to how the people are writing so as to find she uses the same hand for writing as some famous actor. lol, thats an interesting thought.

Originally posted by spinkyboo
This is funny. I also have noticed this.
It seems SO much more common than I remember.
Perhaps I am just watching more movies? More lefties?

Now i can tell her, she's not the only one who noticed. ;D

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Disobey]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I found an interesting site about being left handed, where you also can take this simple test:

Because their brains are organised differently, left-handers see and think differently and can get some very different results from various "brain tests", usually doing very well on tests that involve creative thinking or unraveling complex images and manipulating 3D images. Here's a famous test of creativity - have a look at the image below:

A non-creative right handed brain sees only a hodgepodge of disconnected shapes, but the left-handed brain can go beyond logic and find the connecting concept that makes sense of the shapes. If you can't "see" beyond the shapes, it's because your right-handed brain is trying to solve the problem and won't let your left-handed brain have a go.

Go here to find out if you have a creative left handed brain:
www.lefthandersday.com...

I apparantly have a non-creative right handed brain.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Reply to button isn't working.

Yeah I am the same way. I'm ambidexterous to the point of 60/40 to my left hand. I normally write with my left.
Funny that your mom pays attention to that sort of thing. I don't.
I'm always amazed when people pay attention to that stuff. Never crosses my mind.
The other day I was playing pingpong at work and someone walks in and says "hey, we have a south-paw"... I was surprised by that. So, in order to surprise HIM, I started playing with my right...

When I throw darts, I use both. Don't have a preference to either hand. In fact, sometimes I play against myself Right vs. Left.

Neither side is the clear winner. 50/50

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

That is a dog stooping down to pick up a ball.
2nd line.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Does my thumbs up appear to be left handed?!
Uh oh...

Being Left Handed.com

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Oh, man, did you have to post the answer? I thought perhaps people could have some fun taking the little test...

(But your answer was only partially right.)

[edit on 24/1/09 by ziggystar60]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I picked out the dog pretty quickly and I'm right-handed.

I've never noticed the left-handed phenomenon in movies, myself, but there are a couple of explanations I can think of that are plausible.

One is that your mother is very clever only to point out the lefties, knowing that you aren't watching for that kind of thing.

Two, it is possible that movie directors choose to let a left-handed person do the writing in movies so that the script is easier to see as it is written. The way left-handed people curl their hands above the writing keeps an open shot for the camera.

I have no information on whether actors tend to be right-handed or left-handed.

[edit on 2009/1/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

I loved that Charlie Chapman video. He was a brilliant comedian. A power-house of physical comedy. Hell of a stuntman, also. I didn't know that he was a composer, though.

And yes, that is a left-handed thumbsup

link   

I also use both hands a lot. My left hand is actually stronger than my right - although I write right handed. Nearly 20 years ago now, I was doing research on the left and right brain and decided to practice writing with my left hand everyday. I did it for over a year.
I also had friends do it. Not all of them stayed friends. : ) But those that did it for any length of time as I - felt as though they were engaging a different part of the brain when using the other hand.

link   

Originally posted by speaknoevil07
his left hand. wow.

Funny that, I just was noticing yesterday in the newspaper, there was a pic of Obama signing the Guantanamo closure order, and I noticed the same thing. I also noticed his watch was on his left hand. Usually people wear their watch on the opposite hand they write with, although I'm like Obama, except on the right.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you knew what it was. I was just posting the answer so you could "see it".
Sorry.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

No problem, it isn't excactly the end of the world!

Or "2012" as it is called here at ATS...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

So after that, did you managed to learn to write with the left hand as good as with the right?

I tried learning it too, but i thought it would take too long, and i still couldn't achieve the same mastery as with the right hand..

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Yeah, I think you can train yourself to be ambidexterous. I became that way when my very first basketball coach taught me to shoot right handed even though I was left handed. This was in the third grade.
He was actually doing me a favor, because now I'm just as good a shooter with either hand. I kill people that way. I use it to my advantage. Shot blockers are no match!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I can't speak for all lefties, but when I write, I only curl my hand above the writing when I am starting a line. Then the hand goes back to normal and I actually cover up the writing as I go.

Sucks because it seems that EVERYTHING is set up to accomodate right-handed folks. Look at a kid who writes with his left. You'll see lead all over his hand from covering up his own writing. You have to wash your hands when you're done using a number 2...

And I HATE having to use permanent markers.

So, I guess my point is that either way is good enough for a director. Just depends on which angle he wants to shoot from. I don't see why that would make him choose a leftie over a right-handed actor. Myself, I think it is because left-handed people are left-brain dominate tending towards a more creative thinking.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yes - my brother too. He was left handed (still is) - but at the time the general feeling was that being left handed was not a good thing - so they made him write with his right hand. Ridiculous theory - but - he also uses both hands quite well now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join