It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Doll Made of Living Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
"To demonstrate a new method for fabricating three-dimensional living biological structures, researchers at the University of Tokyo’s Institute of Industrial Science (IIS) have created a 5-millimeter tall doll composed of living cells. According to an announcement made on January 22, the researchers created the tiny figurine by cultivating 100,000 cell capsules — 0.1-millimeter balls of collagen, each coated with dozens of skin cells — together inside a doll-shaped mold for one day. After the cell capsules had coalesced to form the doll-shaped mass of tissue, it was placed in a culture solution, where it reportedly survived for more than a day."

www.pinktentacle.com...

Something about this creeps me out! Maybe it is the doll aspect. At first I thought this was going to be about the germ resistant toys being made now.

The great thing about this is that the technique may be used to grow organs. It seems promising. Am I missing anything nefarious here? I guess the fact that a living creature was created and survived a whole day might creep me out, I mean, what if the gets perfected to the point of 'creating' creatures who LOOK human but may really be something else.

If this is perfected, it could literally be used to grow skin over an android or robot.

Thoughts?

[edit on 24-1-2009 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My thoughts went exactly where yours did. OMG mainly.

This is really creepy. Why did they have to "experiment" with a doll / human shape at all with this? This has other connotations if you ask me.

Weird and creepy stuff.

And this is the stuff we hear about. What else is going on that we have no idea about?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am not so sure about this it seems a little fishy to me. I think if it were a true story it probably would be in the news everywhere. I could be wrong, but several people on the link you posted agree with me they say the image is from photoshop.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

If this is perfected, it could literally be used to grow skin over an android

if they combine the robots that are programmed to learn with those that are programmed with knowledge and possibly add a simplified program for basic consciousness. Then grow skin over it with living cells, we will have an entire new creature in a couple decades.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by BcnDiamond]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
yay! so much closer to my dream of sexy fem bots!
2nd line

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I bet the sex toy industry has a hand or two in those researches.
Imagine in a few years they may be selling "real flesh" penises and vaginas

Ko3

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Oh no! That is something that I had not even thought of! Wow. I don't know what to say. But maybe the technology could work for transsexuals.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

I find that disgusting, but I'd still like to own stock in someone selling those!

I'm not sure what kind of applications this might have, since my knowledge of the biological sciences is much weaker than the rest of science. As the OP mentioned, maybe they could grow organs for people who need transplants out of their own cells to prevent rejection.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So can I get reckless with fireworks now and blow my hands off? They can just grow me new ones right?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think they cheated and used a cookie cutter.

Now lets grow some human skin cells.

It's looking like humans might be immortal by the year 3000.

If a lucky few aren't already.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I guess the fact that a living creature was created and survived a whole day might creep me out,

This really shoudn't creep you out any more than somebody growing a tomato plant. This was just a mass of skin cells in a certain shape, it's not like it was a functional organism.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's basically a really small version of growing a watermelon into a cube shape.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Now if that isn't a "Little Green Man",then i don't know what is!

Nice find!!

top topics

join