It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Rehabilitates Holocaust Denier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Pope Rehabilitates Holocaust Denier

www.nytimes.com

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict Saturday rehabilitated a traditionalist bishop who denies the Holocaust, despite warnings from Jewish leaders that it would seriously harm Catholic-Jewish relations and foment anti-Semitism.

The Vatican said the pope issued a decree lifting the excommunication of four traditionalist bishops who were thrown out of the Roman Catholic Church in 1988 for being ordained without Vatican permission.

The four bishops lead the ultra-conservative Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX), which has about 600,000 members and rejected modernizations of Roman Catholic worship and doctrine.

The Vatican said the excommunications were lifted after the bishops affirmed their willingness to accept Church teachings and papal authority.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
the Holocaust did NOT happen
One Third Of The Holocaust:More Compelling Evidence It Never Happened
The Holocaust...did it happen? What's the evidence either way?
Faking the Holocaust. How it could be done.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is an interesting case, because it makes one wonder what the 'unofficial' church beliefs are in the accuracy of the holocaust.

From the article:

One of the four bishops, the British-born Richard Williamson, has made a number of statements denying the full extent of the Nazi Holocaust of European Jews, as accepted by mainstream historians.

In comments to Swedish television broadcast Wednesday, he said "I believe there were no gas chambers" and only up to 300,000 Jews perished in Nazi concentration camps, instead of 6 million.

You should read the entire article. It is slightly revealing, yet leaves open many questions.

I wonder how many bishops believe that there were no gas chambers and that only 300,000 Jews were killed.

I find it shocking that this kind of ignorance can exist in the catholic church, and I find it hard to believe that it is as rare as the church would like the world to believe. The Pope's (Ratzinger) past includes brief membership of the Hitler Youth movement and wartime service with a German army anti-aircraft unit.

The reality is, in my opinion, the catholic church cannot deny the history and truth of the holocaust any more than the Jews can deny their hand in the crucifiction of Jesus Christ.

Maybe the faithful can ultimately rewrite history, maybe ignorance can erase what happened, maybe the world will forget. Maybe it didn't happen?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Maybe the "holy war" will be between the Jewish and Catholics?

What if they are right, what if only 300,000 Jews were killed by the Nazis?

Apparently facts can become irrelevant with the passage of time, history can be rewritten eventually because looking forward is more important than looking back.

One day perhaps a rewritten history will find a way to repeat itself.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The pope was like "No, dude, seriously, it happened - I was there. Check out all the brown shirts in my closet. Here's a picture of me getting a pat on the head from Hitler. No foolies..."

Crazy times...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Obviously Bishop Williamson is a very thoughtful, intelligent and honest individual. He brings up some very strong points in a very articulate manner, a summary of Leuchter research... and i must add that i recall the same observations when i took a tour of Auschwitz camp I & II.

I was also impressed with how he handled the label "anti-antisemitism":

Anti-Semitism can only be bad if it is against the truth.
But if something is true, it cant be bad.

...and he said this within the context of being guided by the evidence not the emotion of the subject.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by The All Seeing I]

top topics

join