It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola may have passed from a pig to a human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

In the first known case of what may be transmission of the Ebola virus from a pig to a human, a pig handler in the Philippines has tested positive for a strain of the virus, world health officials and the Philippine government announced Friday.

www.iht.com...

Thousands of years ago God told man that "pigs" were unclean meat. More proof of his wisdom is in the article. Notice this line...

The development is worrying because pigs are mixing vessels in which other viruses from humans and animals exchange genetic material, possibly creating strains that are more lethal or more infectious.

Ebola virus may already be in millions of pork eaters just waiting for a trigger to mutate and kill millions. That trigger may be just a natural gene segement from another virus or may be engineered by a bio-medical firm either by mistake or intentional.

Islam does not eat pork, nor do "orthodox" jews and some christians, but, if a terror group could trigger that ebola virus with an innocent looking non-traceable "gene"........how many wordlwide would die in just hours?

Is the 'pale" horse about to ride?

[edit on 24-1-2009 by heliosprime]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't like red meat anymore
, they're not good for the human body, and I was getting sick and tired of those gross diseases that pigs and cows have or could transmit.

I never really believed or cared that pigs were forbidden by God to eat but there are so much better alternatives anyway.

White meat like chicken is so much better, even though I know there's bird flu

But... I suspect that cleanliness and living conditions make a big part and air-related cleanliness is a problem in the poorer areas of the Philippines.

Meat there is displayed in open air in many low income areas and naturally attracts flies and with it disease.

Hopefully the awareness that meat is inherently bad will spur humans to go back to their original, mostly vegetarian-based roots.

We have straight teeth, after all.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ebola? This has already jumped to humans many, many years ago, via Chimpanzees! I assume the Bible covers that too? This is hardly shocking news.

"Thou shall not eat Monkeys"...

The reason behind pork, shellfish etc being "haram" or unclean is quite simple. Back in the days before refridgeration, certain foodstuffs could go bad very quickly and kill you easily. These food stuffs include...yup, you guessed it...shellfish and pork.

Other meats, such as Beef, will keep for ages even if untreated, in fact it tastes better when a bit mangey. Chicken would be cooked and eaten more or less immediately due to the small size of the animal and Lamb keeps well over long periods too.

It's got sod all to do with God, but to the illiterate goat herders who wrote the bible 3000 years ago, getting ill after eating off-shellfish would be seen as a sign from God that it wasn't meant to be.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ebola? This has already jumped to humans many, many years ago, via Chimpanzees! I assume the Bible covers that too? This is hardly shocking news.

Err, monkey's are not a "major" part of the world food chain. Pigs are.....

Your theory of contaminated short shelf life food is silliness. Such foods were eaten by pagans for centuries. God's people were to be different. Pigs flesh is very, very similar to human.

The anatomy of a pig and a human are very similar. Both are placental mammal, which means the fetus receives nourishment from the mother through the umbilical cord. Both species are also omnivores. These two things lead to the digestive track and layers under the skin to be similar. Both have complex systems that allow nutrients and dissolved gases to enter and leave individual cells throughout the body. Basically the internal cavity of the pig is very similar to that of a human, it is only smaller. The heart is located at the same place, between the lungs, the liver and a gall bladder look almost like the humans, and the whole digestive system is extremely similar to humans' digestive system.
Thought pigs and humans are similar there are still some differences. One of the major differences is the facial expression; the pigs have bigger ear, they also have a tail. Also pigs have different feet, position and number of toes on their feet .

wiki.answers.com...

Eating pork is almost canibalisim. But more importantly, many deseases that kill humand can live in pigs. But pigs have no system for detoxing. What toxins they eat stay in the fat and flesh.

God as the designer of both was aware of the problems, both 3000 years ago and today.

Of more immediate concern is the possible trigger of an already widespread ebola virus. Ebola is a nasty way to die.

Ebola hemorrhagic fever is potentially lethal and encompasses a range of symptoms including fever, vomiting, diarrhea, generalized pain or malaise, and sometimes internal and external bleeding. Mortality rates are extremely high, with the human case-fatality rate ranging from 50–89%, depending on viral subtype.[5] The cause of death is usually due to hypovolemic shock or organ failure.

Ebola is potentially lethal, and, since no approved vaccine or treatment is available, it is classified as a biosafety level 4 agent, as well as a Category A bioterrorism agent by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It has the potential to be weaponized for use in biological warfare.[6] Its effectiveness as a biological-warfare agent is compromised by its extreme deadliness and its level of contagion: A typical outbreak spreads through a small village or hospital, infects the entire population, and then runs out of potential hosts, dying out before reaching the wider community. It is also significant to note that none of the strains of Ebola known to cause disease in humans has been found to be airborne—only the strain known as Ebola Reston (after the city of Reston, Virginia where it was first identified in Green Monkeys) is believed to be airborne.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am glad that I do not eat pork. But as said Ebola going from human to human is not new.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I am glad that I do not eat pork. But as said Ebola going from human to human is not new.

No the issue is the potential for ebola to be directly into a world food source. Ebola, normally transmitted in person to person contact or in rare cases "airborn", kills so fast it can't spread outside a few poor souls. But, a dormant form in the food supply could be triggered from seemingly nowhere.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

Originally posted by asmeone2

No the issue is the potential for ebola to be directly into a world food source. Ebola, normally transmitted in person to person contact or in rare cases "airborn", kills so fast it can't spread outside a few poor souls. But, a dormant form in the food supply could be triggered from seemingly nowhere.

No I'm with you there. It's been begging to happen with one of these exotic diseases for some time.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
UPDATE

www.who.int...

It happened again.

The risk, say scientists, is that the pathogen may infect more susceptible humans like children or pregnant women.

Ebola Reston in pigs and humans in the Philippines - update 31 March 2009 -- On 16 February 2009, the Government of Philippines announced that a slaughterhouse worker who has daily contact with pigs tested positive for antibodies against the Ebola Reston virus. This brings to six, out of a total of 141 people, who have tested positive for Ebola Reston antibodies in the Philippines since testing began in December 2008. All six people who were antibody positive reported occupational exposure to pigs. The Philippine Department of Health has said that all six people who tested positive appear to be in good health. Pig-to-human transmission is believed to be the most likely source of infection. To date, since the first human to develop antibodies against Ebola Reston was reported in 1989, no significant human illness has been reported in association with Ebola Reston infection. However only a very small number of humans with Ebola Reston antibodies have ever been detected, and all were healthy adult males. The threat to human health is likely to be low for healthy adults but is unknown for all other population groups, such as immuno-compromised persons, persons with underlying medical conditions, pregnant women and children. More studies are needed to better understand the public health implications of Ebola Reston in humans and efforts should be made to reduce the risk of human infection. Ebola Reston virus species belongs to the Ebola genus in the Filovirus family, a genus that comprises other Ebola species that are known to be highly pathogenic for humans. All members of the Filovirus family are only handled in laboratories with the highest level of biosecurity. Recent cases in the Philippines mark the first time that Ebola Reston has been found in pigs, and the first time that suspected transmission from pigs to humans has occurred.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the update, this is really more serious than anyone is taking it.

new topics

top topics

join