It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the rest of the world love Barack Obama?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Look, okay, I'm a supporter of him. I support him to a certain extent. I am glad that he isn't as perfect as people have suggested he was during the campaign season because I would hate to be living in a nation where everyone thought the leader was the messiah and all opposition would be squelched. However, I know quite a few people here in the USA that like Obama and most of them seem to be rational people. They like him, and, I understand why. They seem to like him because of th persona he portrays and because he can communicate with the masses.

But, we just like him over here. The world on the other hand seems to love him. I don't get why these foreign leaders are saying they love him or somehow we are the best Democracy in the world just because we elected him. I mean, people elected him here because people were fed up with the GOP and their way of doing things over the last 8 years and they want a fresh approach from that, the GOP can take this time to rebuild. But, I think that these foreign leaders are giving Barack Obama supporters here a bad name. It's making it seem like the people here who support him are ignorant (like the foreign leaders are who seem to want to work with the US again just because we elected someone who isn't a Republican). I mean yes there are quite a few ignorant Obama supporters as anyone who is a politician would have ignorant supporters (Just look at the hard core Ron Paul fans). But, it's like these foreign leaders are making it out to seem like he's the greatest ever or something.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want him to fail. I just think that this is wrong. I just want to know why the rest of the world loves him. Do they love him just so they can say to us that they respect our leader and want to "work with us" to manipulate him and win our trust? Is it something far more sinister? Do they want to fuel the critics? Do they want to kill him with praise?

I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
He represents hope to many and simply isn't Bush.

He's a cypher for what the world wants to see. People need to remember that Lincoln and JFK weren't perfect; they made mistakes. Obama will make mistakes and do the things that Politicians do that disappoint their Electorate. People say that one man can't change the world. I think Bin Laden and Bush have shown what 'one man' can do.

I'm politically cynical, but I hope that Obama can show what 'one man' can do to change the world in a positive way. The cynic says no and hope never dies.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
When the messiah took over a blanket of hope enveloped the universe in tingly tickles and bunny kisses! Didn't you hear? No more owies...ever!

Alright...all kidding aside. The impression I get is that the world leaders are acting like a bunch of underpaid employees that are trying to brown-nose their way up to the new manager, in the hope they'll get a bigger desk.

The populations of other countries have probably been thinking that the U.S. has been too heavy handed in shoving its form of democracy on the world, and that Obama will back off.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
He represents hope to many and simply isn't Bush.

Probably right. Sheople would have worshipped anyone after Bush as long as they said nice things on the TV.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Imagine being a foreign world leader who's had to deal with the Bush administration for the past 8 years.

8 years of dealing with a bullying, lying administration that had a completely warped view of the world.

I think you'd be pretty happy to see a change...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Some people will NEVER like Bush just as much they will NEVER hate Obama.
Which is why if thay are gonna get scr*wed it's probably easier if they like the perp.

I once knew a woman who cheated on her husband on more than a few occasions. Well obviously word got around and when some older gentleman tried hitting on her she slapped a sexual harassment charge on him.
This is the same thing in reverse order.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
also,,,,i don't think we give the rest of the wrold enuff credit for how cloose they pay attention to the usa,,, for being a superpower, we effect everyone else.

many foreigners knew of ron paul as well,,, maybe more foreigners than americans even..

i was shocked how many were following his campaign and offering there support of him,,,,,with really no vested intertest or involvement in our voting process

it shocked me,,, and made me come to that realization,,,,the world is watching us,,and more than we know

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Personally, I don't think everyone is falling over themselves about him the way you suggest.

I know plenty of people who barely know who he is.

I like him, because he seems to be everything Bush wasn't, and I hated Bush with a passion.
To me, Obama seems to be saying everything right, and that gives me hope that finally America has elected a highly moral and ethical leader.
He's a great speaker, inspiring, and Bush most certainly wasn't that. In fact, he seemed to play on it.

Now we have to wait and see if Obama lives up to his promises. I don't expect him to save the world or be any kind of messiah. But I do expect him to make sound decisions, ethical decisions. I expect him to be considerate, intelligent and more honest, all the things that Bush wasn't.

For those reasons alone people outside of the USA have hope that America will stop being a destructive force in the world, will stop being a nation to point and laugh at, and will stop being so arrogant in its decision making.

One of the most worrying aspects of American politics is the "government within government". When Obama was elected, and he had his first meeting with Bush, he had a press conference afterward, where he looked drained, ill even. To be honest he looked a little shell shocked. And I think that was when he was made aware of how the government has been running, and who he has to fight against.

That's one aspect that causes me to hold my breath and wait and see if he really can fight against the "old boys club" actually running America. Bush was an obedient servant to these people, I hope that Obama will use his intelligence to find the trump card and finally force them out of the game.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
More likely it's because a good part of the rest of the world has spent the last 60 years living off of Uncle Sams nickel in the form of hundreds of trillions of dollars in cash, food, military aid, technology, and more. Even with the current crisis the good ole US of A is still giving cash away at a suicidal pace.

Barak is going to make change right? Well they want to be part of that.

Our foriegn policy may suck but the ones who love to hate us never refused that big ole hunk of foriegn aid...ever.
Theres not a new sheriff in town for these clowns, everybody wants a new sugardaddy.

What's that Barak? Going to make the world a better place? Good for you! By the way, can you spare a few billion?

Hey, yeah thanks. This is just swell.
You're the greatest.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think as I said before Obama is the world's first true MTV President , he vogues, he says the right things, he has shown no real experience but the magazines have hero worshipped him. Ever notice that every photograph printed of Obama he appears to be posing? One minute he is the pensive JFK the next the stately Lincoln. We live in a world where actors who are paid to say words that other people have written and act in ways that other people have told them to are believed to be exactly like their onscreen roles. Lindsay Lohan sweet and innocent, Drew Barrymore goofy, funny adorable, Tom Cruise is Mr Action? I think you get my idea.

The media loved Obama and they sold him and sold him and sold him, and the ADHD generation love the media. Which brings me to my biggest complaint I believe in bathroom reading and my preferred reading is Time or Newsweek. Nowadays I feel like a share a bathroom with Obama as his face keeps staring off every cover that comes out weekly. I may be developing hemorroids.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Everyone screaming out for the new for change, for liberation, for hope, for peace, for prosperity, for balance, for the rights of the oppressed, for humanity.

Me too very much.

But I dont love Him, have done enough Sales and Sales Management in my time to have sussed him out as soon as I heard him speak and check some of the Votes he sold, that is stated morals he has, to help him in elections by going against that grain of truth.

He Is a target man, has his eyes on his goal and will do anything IMHO to get there.

More slippery with the best Double Glazing salesman, with his easy way, upright appearance and use of NLP and language patterns.

An great Orator to be sure, but soo was Hitler. This is it he is very superficially good, but his substance worries me.

Could talk himself into the girl's Knickers who is selling her virginity on E bay for no money, she would be in tears the next morning though when she awoke from the illusion cast.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
I think Bin Laden and Bush have shown what 'one man' can do.

The irony is that Bush changed the world more. Bin laden was just the scapegoat. He didnt have anything to do with 9/11. Even Iraq didnt have anything to do with 9/11. There were no connections to any of the things people were given as reasons for 8 years of hell. People got played by Bush, its that simple.

Actually "change" was something that Bush did very well, just not positive change.

Why does the world love Obama? I think love is a very strong word, Im not sure who loves someone they dont even know, but he seems like a good president for the US. He is obviously intelligent and wants to do things that improves the country. He seems rational where Bush were irrational.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

The irony is that Bush changed the world more. Bin laden was just the scapegoat. He didnt have anything to do with 9/11. Even Iraq didnt have anything to do with 9/11. There were no connections to any of the things people were given as reasons for 8 years of hell. People got played by Bush, its that simple.

Actually "change" was something that Bush did very well, just not positive change.
He is obviously intelligent and wants to do things that improves the country. He seems rational where Bush were irrational.

I generally agree with those views about Bush. From the early concerns about ballot rigging to his premature War on Terror it's been an audacious smash and grab raid. Anyway, enough about him, let's wait and see how History judges his Administration's actions.

Obama is intelligent and worldly in a way that Bush could never be. His cultural reference points cover America, Europe and Africa. He's got firsthand experience of Christian and Moslem perspectives. He's erudite. Bush was none of these things. He could be a force for good at a time (as usual) when we need someone to be good.

Unfortunately for me, I have a working theory that good men and women can't rise to the highest levels of politics. I hope he can be the exception....we'll see...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
people love the underdog.
The rest of the world has watched America and heard of how unfair it was for the African community, so when the rest of the world saw an African American leader we beliecved that the US had turned the corner into a more forgiving and more open and understanding country.

This may be the impression, but now it is up to him to see if he can keep the global support or if he is going to go down the same road as the rest only in a different car.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'd like to think it's because he gives them hope, that they see in him a man of integrity a man who will do right by his country as a whole rather than whats good for big business, a man whose connections to africa may give him the insight into the poverty around the world and that fundamentally for America to change from within it needs to change its perspective on whats going on in the rest of the world.

In reality I think this celebrity obsessed world sees a young, intelligent good looking black man, to the image obsessed world he looks the part gives minorities ( all colours and creeds ) a feeling of power and the majorities a sense of being liberal.

Personally I like him, give him a chance to change the world you never know he might just live up to expectations and look good while doing it.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
He's a mutt.
He represents more than one color -
more than one country -
more than one religion
and it appears is very bi-partisan.
Many relate - in one way or another.
Smart move.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think the world was afraid of us during the Bush years because Bush was a loose cannon war machine

I and the rest of the world possibly want someone in Government who thinks about more than one agenda

Also the completing whole sentences thing

I would love for him to get even half of what he wants to accomplish done ,I'm sure it won't be anything close to that

I hope we get a constitution of some kind ,if he does that I'll be his best loyalist proponent

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

I would rather NOT have any one person rewrite the constitution mind you. I support Obama to an extent but it's not like I have this kind of thing for him which a lot of Obama people seem to have for him. Look, I know about the situation we've been in, how we just had Bush, and we just had an awful President, but, I'm worried to death that the people in the higher ranks of the government, or, say, Obama himself, might really manipulate us with his popularity and power with the government. He's a Chicago politician. So far he hasn't shown signs of corruptions... but imagine a popular and corrupt President. Could you imagine that? What would happen to all the hope if it turns out that he's corrupt like all of those other Chicago governors? I'm just not putting blind faith in him right yet and I'm sickened by how all of these world leaders are already putting way more blind faith into him than the masses of our population already have. They're acting like he's the messiah or something. Do you see what I'm concerned about? Yes it's good that he's not Bush. But I fear that he could use his popularity to manipulate us if he's one of those individuals who can become corrupted by power.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Simple, everyone loves a fairy tale come true. The idea of coming from nowhere to the most important position in the world. The common man makes good, beats the odd. The little guy becomes king!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The rest of the world loves Obama because of his peaceful and collected nature. Not to mention his diverse ethnicity and young personality.

And when comparing him to Bush.. err.. better keep quiet
.. I think people have just generally gotten sick of the typical cowboy with a ranch; No pun intended. Obama differs from Bush mainly in foreign policy and relations; in essence..he's not looking to pick a fight with everyone that says something bad about America. Bush on the other hand; is a world renowned trouble maker.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join