It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rabbit crossbred cat

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
i'm telling you guys, cabbits have been around for awhile, i'm not trying to pull your chain or anything like that. when i was 20, i had to babysit for the local "cat lady" while she went up north for a funeral. She had not one but 2 cabbits, they hopped, the back legs were just like a rabbit, their ears were different, and the tail was just like a rabbit. She was very casual about it, when i asked, she simply said, "that's a cabbit". I kow for a fact this lady could not have afforded some genetic experiment for a pet, so there must be a natural occurance for these two animals to mate.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Yes I could have worded my first post better..sorry for the confusiion. I just hope no one gets some strange ideas and tries to force the genetic manipulations.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
I had a female dwarf rabbit about 10 years ago and she was in heat and the neighbors cat came in while we were moving and did breed with her. She did have catbits. But there life expetency is less then 1 year.

But yes it can happen, That is why rabbits are so easily litter box trainable. they are more cat like then you think, therefor when a cat gets an urge when a bunny is in heat they will breed.

Oh boy here we go!
Put your seat belts on.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by spaznational

ok god, i guess thats done and dusted (morning sarcasam)

sorry.

that video is either an expose or cat mutiation, or they exist.

i go with the latter, although it doesnt look like a cross that benefits the offspring, the poor thing was very cute but doesnt look like it will a good lif (from back pain from being all out of proportion)

I am correct about this. I don't even know why you would think rabbits and cats can breed unless you failed biology in high school. You're like it is either A) a genetic abnormality or otherwise natural occurrence, or B) an impossible freak of nature that cannot ever happen... then you select B to demonstrate willful ignorance.

I probably shouldn't be worked up enough to respond but you are an example of how idiotic ideas propagate.

Also, there IS a breed of cat (Manx) that has a hopping gait.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
What i notice from the "Wiki" page is this......

A cabbit is supposedly a cat-rabbit hybrid creature. It is a rare but true occurance

Then further down the page under the heading "Hybrid" you see this.......

It is impossible to actually produce cat-rabbit hybrids as they are genetically incompatible despite their similar number of chromosomes. Additionally, cats and rabbits have different mating habits. Female cats are induced to ovulate by the tomcat's barbed penis, which scratches the female's vagina as he withdraws. Male rabbits have smooth penises and are not able to cause a female cat to ovulate. Thus, even when copulation takes place, there would be no egg to fertilize.[

So i'm still none the wiser

Your second Wiki quote it the correct one and the part I was pointing out. I didn't even read the first part but it is probably the result of trolls or some of the rocket scientists we're seeing in this thread.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

I've had several manxes and while they do act and walk very much like rabbits, they are all cat (and are perfectly delightful litttle cats but that's another story!) Guys, I hate to tell anyone who has fallen for this story but different species cannot mate outside a lab, so it sounds like this is a deformation characteristic of population inbreeding. I've had both rabbits and cats and can definitely tell you that a "cabbit" would not attack and kill a Japanese tourist! All they would want is a hug and to be petted....

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Oh boy here we go!
Put your seat belts on.

its like a plane crash except you shove your brain between your knees instead of keeping it in your head where its useful

how badly educated are people when they think this kind of thing is possible, and sad when you have to provide evidence to disprove somthing this lame

www.messybeast.com...

although my dog did once mate with the arm of my sofa and 3 months later i realised i had a lot of small hairy chairs i dont remeber buying .....

[edit on 24/1/09 by noobfun]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun

its like a plane crash except you shove your brain between your knees instead of keeping it in your head where its useful

how badly educated are people when they think this kind of thing is possible

www.messybeast.com...

its sad when you have to provide evidence to disprove somthing this lame

Yeah this is a bad... At this point I am jumping ship on this one.
I'm almost at a total loss for words. Anyone who believes this
should have to have a "dunce cap" placed next to their name.

Today's science class was an easy A for most.
To the others?! off to summer school you go.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

compared to the last two days this almost makes sense

for the last two days ive been trying to convince someone that all matter is 3 dimensional and that length width height and depth are not the four dimensional measurements but that height and depth are exactly the same thing only ones measuring up the other down and the real forth dimension is time/space

i even found them 3rd grade elementary school test prep webpages showing that cubes spheres pyramids are 3 dimensional, and this is someone who trys to argue using physics that god exists

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
saw one of these on television when i was twelve.
bugged my mom for one but, she said no. it was too weird for her.
still want one.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
saw one of these on television when i was twelve.
bugged my mom for one but, she said no. it was too weird for her.
still want one.

You saw a Manx when you were 12?!
But your mom thought a Manx was to weird for her?!
You still want a Manx?!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

nope, it was a "cabbit". that 's what the news anchor called it. i remember my grandmother said it was unnatural. she also said i can't have one.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

nope, it was a "cabbit". that 's what the news anchor called it.

The news anchor was incorrect.

i remember my grandmother said it was unnatural.

Your grandmother was correct.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

you may be right. you may be wrong.
glad to have this civil debate with you.
i wonder if they've done a dna analysis?
that should clear up any confusion.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by heather65

I'm not gonna stoop myself down to make intelligence jokes,
that would be wrong and hurtful. But I would sure like to.

Perhaps you should read what noobfun linked up.
He did this to end the debate.

www.messybeast.com...

The debate is over.

All clear now?! The news anchor was wrong and your grandmother was
right.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

calm down.
i wasn't being confrontational with you.
i think you're wound too tight about a benign subject.
must be something in the water in the area for you to seem so angry about a cat/rabbit/thing.
enjoy your saturday.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by heather65]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaznational
Looks like deformed cats to me.

Cross-breeding between such different species is impossible.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 24-1-2009 by spaznational]
'

Actually, it is not. The Species-Barrier should usually prevent such unions, that is true. But it is a myth that it allways does.

Hybrids between two different species CAN occur, despite the differing make up of the creatures genes, although it is not very common. In those cases, though, the offspring is often infertile, such as for instance the Mule, that is a cross between a Donkey and a Horse.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

That is a Manx. You need to find better sources. Rabbits and Cats can't breed with each other. Manx are actually quite common cats. They should have kept better track of their cat while in heat. She clearly went out catting around and found a Manx Tom.

Edited to say:
Sorry, I see someone else pointed that out.

[edit on 1/24/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

Source.

The Manx breed originated before the 1700s on the Isle of Man (hence the name), where they are common. They are called stubbin in the Manx language. Tail-less cats were common on the island as long as three hundred years ago. The tail-lessness arises from a genetic mutation that became common on the island (an example of the Founder effect).

There is a picture on the bottom right of the article which shows one with the long, large back legs.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by noobfun

I've had several manxes and while they do act and walk very much like rabbits, they are all cat (and are perfectly delightful litttle cats but that's another story!) Guys, I hate to tell anyone who has fallen for this story but different species cannot mate outside a lab, so it sounds like this is a deformation characteristic of population inbreeding. I've had both rabbits and cats and can definitely tell you that a "cabbit" would not attack and kill a Japanese tourist! All they would want is a hug and to be petted....

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken.

On rare occurances, different species can mate and reproduce, although generally after a hybrid is produced, the hybrids are infertile.

Examples include ligers, tigrons, and mules. (No Joke)

elliottback.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's real, and it does happen. (Although i do not believe that it is possible between cats and rabbits without the assistance of a genetics lab)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join