It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Interactive Advertising Bureau makes me uncomfortable... Pay attention ATS (privacy concerns)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
There is nothing more private than your... uhhh how do I say this... 'private parts?'

So let me tell you a story... I go to my friends house and try to show him how great ATS is. Because make no mistake about it ATS is wonderful.

I'm at his house... On his computer, and I bring up the web page of THE GREAT ATS.

So I go to the recent posts section... and to my suprise... I happen to notice two different ads for .... uhhh.... how do I say this?.... MALE ENHANCEMENT.

I have not once seen those ads on my computer at work, and my computer at home.

So now I realize that my friend is looking at something on the web that is clearly ..... uhhhh.... questionable? LOL.

Thanks to the Interactive Advertising Bureau.... I now invaded his privacy.

I'm trying to ask Bill (Skeptic Overlord) more questions about this technology most of us are unaware of.... maybe he should be more skeptical of this so called Interactive Advertising Bureau.

ATS... open your mind for one second. This is how they track and trace your every move.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well your friend should learn how to dump his cookies and reset his browser. Sorry about the embarrassment but that really is his issue don’t you think

These are the issues of the modern world. I don’t really think it’s an invasion of privacy more like he needs to learn how to clean house.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe your friend will come back to ATS and come across your post. Now your friend will know you know. That could be a bit awkward.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Firstly, you're not drunk are you?

Have you noticed the other link next to the IAB link?

TRUSTe

which links to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Our Commitment To Privacy

Nothing is more important to the owners and staff of AboveTopSecret.com than making every effort to protect the privacy of all members. To better protect your privacy we provide this notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used.

I feel SO has done more than necessary to ensure our privacy.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There are ads on ATS?
I see them with a blind eye if you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well your friend should learn how to dump his cookies and reset his browser. Sorry about the embarrassment but that really is his issue don’t you think

It's not a cookie issue!!!

It's an IP issue... they take your Ip address and see everything that you ave visited make some kind of mathmatical formula.... and BAM... you have your ads.

(when I say "they"... i mean the technology they have... the programs)

And so what if it is a cookie issue... if people clear their cookies they will get diferent Ads?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It's done by tracking your IP as well as cookies.

My internet went down one day, and I have G band wireless cards in my computers. I needed to retrieve something, so I simply connected to the neighbors network for a minute.

I figured I would check the news and the weather while I was connected, and on every site that I went to there were ads for DUI attorneys.

Yes, my neighbor had been caught driving drunk, and was apparently searching online for someone to represent him.

It seems nothing you do is private anymore.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join