It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS knows about my nationality!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I've been noticing a lot of advertisement here on ATS. I've called up friends to ask them if they see the same advertisement that i see on my ATS homepage. The advertisements are of Indian Matrimonial sites. On every page i click there seems to be an add of Indian Matrimonial websites. I am from india and how does ATS know that im from India, and its seemingly putting these adds on every page i click on ATS?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Delete your cookies, close the browser, then log into ATS again. See if they still show up.

Advertising firms use 'tracking cookies' to target specific ads. When you click through things, or search for phrases, or visit different web sites, these cookies are updated with that information.

This wouldn't be ATS doing that, if indeed that's what's happening.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Salvatore_Rubberface

They've been onto you for a while now...

As a matter of fact, we have all been onto you for some time...

And yes, we are aware you reside in india...there is NO hiding!

gmmarr idte!

[edit on 1/23/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Lol i should make this clear while we're at it, Gunners SUCK!

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Sat Jan 24 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Star for you dude..!

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Sat Jan 24 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Country can be easily determined from the IP address. Some adds are based on your IP. Anyway every website knows what country you're from because of the IP.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DesmoSedici
Country can be easily determined from the IP address. Some adds are based on your IP. Anyway every website knows what country you're from because of the IP.

Yep. I've even seen some ads narrow it down to the county I'm in. Usually ads for dating sites saying "meet hot singles in _________" with a few generic pictures of girls with generic quotes next to them.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Maybe some of you people need to understand how the internet works.

Do you know what the Interactive Advertising Bureau is?

There logo is at the bottom of the page in the recent posts board.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
i THINK its because your ip is from india.... try to use a proxy to access ATS ... from another country...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

And you think making a thread that will be put in the Google search system and specifically stating that you are from India will somehow put an end to it?

It is targeted advertising not only based on your IP address, but based on the content often viewed and visited by your IP address. All making a thread about it did was put your IP address in the Google search system so it can be found by advertising bots.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We are coming to take you away ah ha

Correct delete your cookies reset your browser shut down reboot.
Also might as well dump your temp files.

We are still coming for you

[edit on 23-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salvatore_Rubberface
ATS knows my nationality!!!

So does every website you have ever gone to. It is called an I.P address and it tells everyone exactly where you are.

Ads can be made to look at your IP address and give you relevant ads in much the same way as that sig line that tells each member where they are and who their ISP is.

There really is nothing sinister about it. It keeps you from seeing ads for Colorado and it keeps me from seeing the ads for Australia. Ads that don't serve their demographic are a waste of money.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is known as Geo targeting, and is done based on your ip address. I can locate you within a few miles based only on your IP address. I use it all the time to give people information based on where they live. For example, I have a thing that gives local weather, and you connect to a page and it will show your local weather automatically etc. It's pretty common, I've been doing it for about 8 years for all sorts of things.

Personally, I never save or look at that kind of info, I just use it for what to show the person, but it is certainly possible to. Delete your cookies if you are really worried about being tracked.

Not too much to worry about really, any server you connect to is given that information, but it only narrows it down to the general area, not house specific or anything. It depends on where your internet connection is coming from. Mine for example usually shows me as coming from 1 town over up in the mountains, which I pretty sure is because they have a tower or something up there.

To get your actual address and location from the ip address, they would need a warrant to check the ISP records. Although recent laws have made that a bit easier, it would still only be feds and such that would have access to it.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
nah...I get the same thing and I am a celtic scottish girl in northern europe...

maybe it's reading a secret desire in me...? hmmm paranoid...maybe...araaaaarrrggghhhhh

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salvatore_Rubberface
I've been noticing a lot of advertisement here on ATS. I've called up friends to ask them if they see the same advertisement that i see on my ATS homepage. The advertisements are of Indian Matrimonial sites. On every page i click there seems to be an add of Indian Matrimonial websites. I am from india and how does ATS know that im from India, and its seemingly putting these adds on every page i click on ATS?

I see them too, and I'm not in India.

So must be a couincidence.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the help guys i got it cleared up now im receiving proactive solution and pepsi advertisements!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Download AdBlock plus... it's free. I haven't seen an ad. in years.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Hey.... i was getting Indian marriage ads too...
Find an Indian partner in oxford... etc etc.
I'm not sure they know your nationality....just where (city/county/country) you live.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatiKarate

You may want to peruse this link.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

new topics

top topics

join