It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trees dying in the West at record rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Trees dying in the West at record rate

Trees are dying faster than ever in the old-growth forests of California and the mountains of the West, a phenomenon scientists say is linked to rising regional temperatures and the destructive forces of early snowmelt, drought, forest fires and deadly insect infestations brought on by global warming.

Over the past 17 years in some regions - and 25 to 37 years in others - the death rates of mature trees have doubled, the scientists said, raising concerns that the problem goes well beyond the death of trees alone.

"The ultimate implications for our forests and the environment are huge," said Mark Harmon of Oregon State University, a member of the team that helped write a report that appears today in the journal Science.

More...

More depressing news.

Signs of the sick patient really are everywhere. :shk:

[edit on 23-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Im tired of the 80's degree January days we are having this year in Arizona.
I have been here most of my life and this is NOT normal.

I had my air on yesterday!

Last year this time we bought this house, and it was stone cold inside , I had that heat cranking!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
We need to be looking at solutions, I mean come on we are planning to invade space within a couple of years and we cant even get responsible with our own world???

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Here in the mile high Rockies; whole forests of pine, pinion, spruce and juniper are dieing as a result of bark beetle infestation. I do think the string of unusually warm winters are to blame, but I'm not a horticulturist.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
And guess who's somewhat responsible for them dying out like they are???
Any guess's? The Government of course. Seriously they are.
My mom's a horticulturist in Colorado and she was telling me the reason why the tree's are dying out so fast is because they're almost all the same age and getting old. Around 30 or 50 years ago the government took a lot of action to prevent/stop natural occurring forest fires, when in fact forests need to burn and die off, to create younger & healthier forests. Since they prevented a lot of forest fires from letting this natural process occur all the tree's are approximately the same age with little young trees. Now when tree's get old like humans do what does that mean? Their weaker and more susceptible to disease and predators. Things like the pine beetle and droughts (which is killing the majority of trees). Oh isn't our Government lovely when it gets involved in things it doesn't understand? Especially when they don't listen to scientists.
Forest fires are natural?! what?!?! Who knew!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

and here in Europe it hasn't been this cold in 12 years.

I wish we got some good news for a change

Jn

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
reply to post by amatrine

and here in Europe it hasn't been this cold in 12 years.

I wish we got some good news for a change

Because SCIENTISTS are now saying Global Warming is a Swindle, they did a documentary to prove it!.

"The Great Global Warming Swindle" (documentary in link below).

www.viddler.com...

new topics

top topics

join