It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two states now report unemployment rates over 10%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I know this. Michigan has been at or near the top in unemployment for years. That doesn't change where it is now though. Michigan has been a great leader for job loss in the country.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

Let's say the national unemployment is 17 percent.

If the population of the US is 300 million...

That comes out to 51 million people unemployed. If this is even remotely true it's quite startling to imagine.

That's a lot of people.

In 1930, around the great depression, the population was 123,000,000. The highest from what i can find was 25 percent although it could have been higher. I'm just using this estimate for the sake of comparison.

That equals 30,750,000 people unemployed.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
isn't it surreal that on the TV the economists/pundits/cheerleaders/liars

will make comparisons of how the past recessions were deeper b/c they had worse unemployment figures over 10% (in the 80's) WITHOUT MENTIONING that IF we hadn't changed the way we measured unemployment that the rates would be HIGHER THAN in the 80's.

and i am referring to how we used to measure the OFFICIAL unemployment rate with (U6) but now the number has been politicized to give false perceptions Orwell style and is measured by (U3) on the gov't unemployment site. We are being lied to for our "Own good".

I know this was mentioned by other posters but it is intersting how that when you have a media willing to tell a lie often enough (for our own good) and people trust the source and are ignorant of the real #'s regarding changes in calculations .... it passes as truth

Just how much data is misrepresented like these unemployment #'s are, CPI is..........the BLS jobs data is.........banks balance sheets are.........is this done to mask the dissent to our current monetary system........to reduce gov't liability's (payouts tied to artificially surpressed CPI, etc) all of the above.....do other country's change the way they weigh relevant data points when they don't like what they reflect.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
I think if the truth be known, that the average of all the states combines would be closer to 12% or pushing 13%. I have no bases for this idea just call it a hunch....

I talked about the real unemployment figures in this post - how what media reports isn't the whole story and how the numbers are further fudged with the Birth/Death Model.

Then you have seasonal adjustment of the jobless numbers, muddying the waters even more.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we're currently at 13.5% unemployment. Birth/Death Model numbers are still included, which are completely useless in a recession. B/D numbers make sense when an economy is growing, but when it's plainly obvious that an economy is shedding jobs (as we are now), it's statistically improbable that 72,000 jobs were added in December!
A good explanation of the Birth/Death Model can be found towards the bottom of this article by Mish Shedlock.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

a lot of readers & blogs refer to www.shadowstats.com for more realistic figures than what the BLS.gov throws out there....

it gets into the NEWSPEAK of 1984
see: www.shadowstats.com...

for a more exhaustive explaination of the mess...with Unemployment as just one facet of the homeland Opaque Gem

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The 'real' unemployment rate is likely to go to 30% this year alone. May we not leave our eggs in 'one' basket.

What happens to a society of which has little knowledge of self-sufficiency?

The last Depression was survived by a 'farming class'.

Can a 'currency' provide self-sufficiency when the currency itself becomes seen for the 'paper, denominated IOU' it is?

What is one to do with oneself when they discover their skills are meaningless when 'currency' is left out of the equation?

The small farmer has become a 'near extinct' species with n$ protection.

Got seeds? You might want the 'organic' variety if you plan to plant a successful second generation crop.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Oh? Thanks for the information. I now that in my state (Tennessee) as seen to the left... lol... The unemployment lines are crazy and the 1-800 number, well forget that, the average wait time is like 72 min. So I know that the rate had to be pretty high.

Also I have cut way back too... I hate it but our budget was cut about $30,000.00 anualy from our normal income. That is if we continue bringing in the same amount. Point is we use to money and health insurance and stacks and savings and now I am canning and drying food like a fool. I am even mending clothes that last year I would have donated and replaced without a second thought. So the middle class are going broke and the poor well I guess they are starving or close to it.

It took me several hours to phone in my claim here in Kentucky last week.

I wanted to make a comment on being poor. I have been poor my whole adult life, and this economy is nothing I have not been used to dealing with for years, in terms of money income and spending. Can't spend what you don't have. I think the poor people should be the ones who are relatively prepared for financial hardships, because well, that aint nothing new! I think as long as you have clothes to mend and food to can, count your blessings. I too think this downturn will ultimately make Americans stronger as a nation, because I am optimistic like that.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My area of Florida is now at 10 percent as well. I have to move back up north because this is a sinking ship down here. GOD HELP US ALL!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Up until last year I was involved in the cargo ship business working as a relief Mate and usually sailed as an Able Bodied Seaman(notice how seaman is spelled before you start with the jokes). I could see the writing on the wall and decided it was time to get into an industry with less exposure to the economy.

I was getting laid off 2-3 times a year. So with Vancouver getting the 2010 Winter Olympics the transit authority was hiring like crazy so I decided to become a bus driver. The pay is decent, and you're job actually becomes more secure in a depressed economy as more people take transit.

The point I'm making is, at some point in your life you have to make tough decisions in terms of employment. A move to an area with better employment possibilities may be in order for some to find meaningful employment.

However, in the US like in Canada the unemployment numbers are worse than what is being reported and it's only going to get worse.

Chin up to those on here who are unemployed and are struggling to survive. I know what it's like, I made less than the official poverty line for 4 years and managed to make it. You will too, you just need strong resolve and hope that it will get better.

A great line from Ray Liotta to Johnny Depp in the movie "Blow"

"When you're up, it seems like you'll never go down. When you're down it seems like you'll never go up again"

Perseverance pays off

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Most of what you stated in your post i have learned over the last few months. The info is out there but it's always in bits and pieces. I hope for a turnaround but there is no indication of a turnaround at all. Notta. I remember when this all first started we were being told everything was fine. Then it was it might be bad for a few months, then 6 months, then all of 2009, then until late 2010. Kinda funny how the number keeps getting larger eh?

All of the economic geniuses keep increasing the length they think the recession will last. What will be their "prediction" 6 months from now or a year?

The paradigm has changed, We are now into "The Greatest Depression" which is immeasurable.

I too am from Michigan. Michigan is in hock to the feds for over $800,000,000 and counting for Unemployment payouts. 1-800-MARVIN is near impossible to communicate with. April 09 brings ARM mortgage resets(500,000+) as well as 5yr interest only balloon mortgage resets. I love OBAMA, but he faces an even bigger mess from Bush than Granholm faced following ENGLER.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This isn't particularly surprising. Many firms felt that an Obama administration would be anti-business and pro- tax. Consequently, they may be laying people off and downsizing in advance of possible business/tax concerns with the new administration. If I remember correctly, I think Walmart and Home Depot had meetings with their employees regarding the consequences of an Obama presidency.

Hope and change indeed.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have to say it, this isnt going to get better. I wish it was going to get better faster but it wont. We are down to doing one roof a month instead of the normal 10 to 20 a month. We cant even use workers when its just one roof. Do to the fact by the time everything gets paid for and everyone gets paid. We are left with about $100 to pay our bills with. In the mean time the big contractors are not buying newer vehicles from the local Car sales places so there goes a few more jobs. Folks cant afford to go out to eat so the local restaurants close down. More jobs lost. Then the folks that own the rental properties these folks live in are losing cash because they cant pay the rent. More money lost. The people that normally repair these rentals lose there jobs. and so on. It just keeps going and going.

In the depression there were tons of farms. Yet the government has closed down most of the farms over the years. So that makes it hard for folks to find farm work or even to try and live off a farm. All in all the government put us where we are and it will continue to do so. Here in North Carolina most farm land was sold off to build huge sub divisions. Now folks cant afford the houses. So that isnt working out. But at the same time there are very few fields left to farm any more.

Our only way to make it better now is by doing it on our own. Little by little. My husband has started fixing peoples cars for them for extra cash. As well as I make things here at home and sell them at craft fairs. At least folks still buy hand made goods over China made goods. There are plenty of great ideas out there, Just use your head and start thinking now as to how you can plan ahead before its to late.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vojvoda

Real unemployment is even higher than U-6 and it's 17%.

I'm not sure where you got that, since your link merely took me to a site called "Shadow Government Statistics". That page has no unemployment figures, but I then followed a link on that page to this page:

www.shadowstats.com...

where there is a comment:

The SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated "discouraged workers" defined away during the Clinton Administration added to the existing BLS estimates of level U-6 unemployment.

Here is the problem that I have with that graph and the numbers. The above excerpt says that you must add in the ESTIMATED "Shadow Government Statistics" for discouraged workers. (Clinton's administration redefined discouraged workers as only those who were looking for a job less than a year.

I realize that the number will increase somewhat when we add those still looking for more than 1 year are added in. However, the problem is that by SGS's own admission, their number is an estimate, since there ARE NOW NO NUMBERS being kept on that group. Therefore, to use a statistic that is admittedly a FUDGE is not very scientific.

Can we say it is higher than U-6? Yes. Would you bet a years pay that the SGS-number is accurate? I wouldn't, would you?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The real numbers for South Carolina are much higher than reported. The unemployment compensation actually went bankrupt and had to be sustained by the FED. Many have been looking for jobs longer than unemployment benefits carry them.

They are not counted when the benefits are gone. Such as my friend Theresa when she was laid off two years ago and had six weeks of unemployment benefits but, it took her nearly 1 1/2 to land a postal job. In the meantime she did odd jobs (picked up leaves, mowed grass, clothing repair, etc. to halfway get by.

Two years ago my father found it amazing with him being a supervisor for a chemical manufacturing facility looked through his job applicants and found about half were white collar professionals looking to make ends meet. Besides the unskilled laborers he saw applicants that were school teachers, former company owners, a chemist, people with art degrees etc etc...he found it very sad and quite disturbing.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well you will all be glad to know that I will be able to add to the statistic starting Monday. Sure am proud that the company felt compelled to send a registered letter. I would have hated to waste $10 in gas for nothing.

Guess I can go over to the penny jar and hope for change.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
When I say this, please don't take me wrong: The government doesn't owe anyone a living. If you wait around for the government to save you, you're screwed.
I lost my job years ago to downsizing. I became self-employed at a profitable business and failed miserably. I chased the money. Then I became self-employed at something I loved. I started small, became an expert, struggled for a long time, and now have "a job" I can't wait to get to everyday. Actually, I walk downstairs everyday and I'm at work.
If you are out of work and hurting, I feel for you. I've been there. Think about what is really important to you. It ain't about money. What are you passionate about? Start a business today. Don't get a loan. If you have a dollar, start with one dollar. Work everyday. Don't take days off, you can't afford to. But you love it, right? Things will get better. I promise. (and don't take anything from the government, they're screwed up enough already!). Start today and you'll start feeling better today. You'll be on your way.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Tippys Dad]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Oh, and I should add: I make pretty decent money today. More than most people I know. I started small - tiny - and grew little by little.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It is said, "Necessity is the Mother of invention, it is true, but it's Father is creativity and knowledge the mid-wife". Jonathan Schottke

Many will find it necessary to reinvent themselves. What one may discover about themselves may be more valuable than any income could offer in return. When one explores another country, do they ever come back the same person?

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations". Charles R. Swindoll.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity". Seneca of mid-1st century AD.

Many have been through much worse in life. Count your blessings while you can. They count if counted.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

I like your style, I am a mender too, but one of the poor that IS starving. LOL I laughed this year when we got a 5% increase in disability, I was thrilled with that considering it hasn't been over 2% in some time. I used to be able to afford a few extras occasionally, no more. I can't afford a car, turned cable off, never eat take out or buy new clothing, and have to budget to every penny for things like laundry soap, laundry money, cleaning products and basic hygiene needs.

I look at so many people that cannot find work around here, or get part time jobs just to get buy. There are few factory jobs, medical was not bad but a major hospital in the area just announced thousands of lay offs due to Medicade reimbursement cuts. My mom is trapped in Florida now that she is getting older, she can't take the loss on the house because it has gone down in value so much, some new thing about flood insurance is breaking her, and her retirement investments and what they provide her on a monthly basis has gone down 40%.

I also agree so much with the true number of the unemployed, they doll up the numbers. I always wondered if they counted the people whose unemployment ran out and are now surviving on Social Services programs. I think if they are included the number would be higher, I was unclear whether or not they may have fit a couple of those categories or not.

red

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by amari
reply to post by anachryon

In my county in Florida we are at 10% unemployment and Cape Coral Florida has the highest foreclosure rate in the United States. My friend who is in realestate invester is getting ready to buy 6 houses for $69K a piece. These homes less then 2 years ago were going for $250,000 ea. The size of the homes are 1700 Sq. Ft. with 3 bdr. 2 bath 2 car gar. with pool.

Yeah, I am i Naples. I heard that houses 3/2 in lehigh were going for 40k a piece. Things are bad but I am surviving as well as everyone else I know. Times are tough but we will pull out of this. The problem with SW florida is that most of the industry down here is construction. That is why the umemployment rate is so high. I am glad to see houses selling that cheap. This will move the forclosures off the market and help us get back to some normalcy. This is bad but it isnt the end of the world or the USA like some people on this board continue to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join