It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two states now report unemployment rates over 10%

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Where did you come across this information? I was looking for numbers like this but i had trouble finding them.

David, here you go with the source:

www.bls.gov...

The numbers are in Table A-12. Just do a PDF search in it for U-6

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I took the link out of my earlier post because I can't make it work. User error, so I'm going to find the how-to forum.

At any rate, the web address is www.bls.gov/data/

I've been knocking around a lot of the government websites, and I have to say the updates have made it easy to find whatever gov. info I want. Of course, it's still gov. info, so I do take it for what it is.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Oh? Thanks for the information. I now that in my state (Tennessee) as seen to the left... lol... The unemployment lines are crazy and the 1-800 number, well forget that, the average wait time is like 72 min. So I know that the rate had to be pretty high.

Also I have cut way back too... I hate it but our budget was cut about $30,000.00 anualy from our normal income. That is if we continue bringing in the same amount. Point is we use to money and health insurance and stacks and savings and now I am canning and drying food like a fool. I am even mending clothes that last year I would have donated and replaced without a second thought. So the middle class are going broke and the poor well I guess they are starving or close to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Heh..when i look at the unemployment bar graphs it reminds me of the yearly debt increase graphs i've been looking at. They look identical in terms of how they are laid out.

Disheartening to look at really....

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

My opinion is we will see some states have a massive exodus in search of work, shelter and food. I look for Calif. to have a massive exodus of people once the state government continues to hand out IOUs to who they owe. Unemployment will then sore in Calif. partly because of lack of trust and faith that anyone will be paid what they are owed because Calif. is essentially broke.

My opinion as things get much worse starting June of 2009 you will see other states set up check points to keep other individuals from crossing their state borders to take advantage of their social welfare programs. The few successful states will become very protective of what they have and will not be apt to share.

This is a progression and very perdictable what will happen to the U.S. economy in the future. Here is the lay persons indicator and best guide to the economic future, watch the stock market week by week month by month. I believe from all the info. I have gathered the melt down or collapse of the economy will be somewhere between April and June of 2009. Like a thief in the night it will be upon us before we know it.

Keep watching the unemployment numbers and when the benefits run out that is when the real trouble starts. No matter how much money is pumped into the economy it is a temporary band aid. My opinion The United States of America has been intentionally set up for a fall.

Doesn't it seem strange that the bail outs always go to the banks first instead of to We The People. You know why because they own and control everything including our politicians. Actually search and see who owns the media and find out who owns the big mortgages on houses and properties of our elected officials. So now you know the rest of the story.

Now this administration thinks by handing out stimulus checks to the majority that does not actual pay taxes figured at the end of the year is going to help solve the economic problem. Again another band aid.

Why not implement tax breaks where you keep a bigger percentage of your own money you earn on an on going basis to stimulate the economy by individuals making more purchases.

Oh I see if the government sends you a check out of no where then We The People will be harder to ween off the welfare mentality and the government will take care of you thing. Wait a minute the Federal Reserve does not get to draw interest on the money you earn right away.

The U.S. government has to borrow money by producing treasury bills to the Fed therefore the Federal Reserve holds the notes and charges interest for every dollar printed so let me ask you what is wrong with that picture?

The Federal Reserve is not a government agency it is a private bank and a big reason why we are trillions and trillions in debt. In other words we borrow money and go deeper and deeper in debt and it will come a time where the United States of America can not pay for the interest on the debt.

The clock is ticking and the point of no return alarm for not being able to payoff the interest on the debt is set for 12 o'clock P.M. it is now 11:30 A.M.

The Social Security fund has been dipped into and misused and that should of never ever been touched. Did they get your permission to take money from yours and everyone elses social security retirement fund? I do not think so and what would you call that in anybody elses book?

So 2 + 2 = 2 You ask how is that? Isn't the answer 4? Well the second 2 disappeared before it could be added 2 + = 2 Well where did it go? I do not know it's not accounted for, but can I and everyone else look at your books to find the other 2? No that is not allowed.

Be prepared. Where have I heard that before? I remember when I was a Boy Scout.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by amari]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

Exactly why would N.C have 8% unemployment? I can understand NY with the whole financial sector going to # but N.C isn't a state that hits me as a big loser in a recession fueled by bad credit and a failing auto-sector. Fill me in here.

North Carolina is experiencing heavy unemployment because the economy has traditionally relied on three industries here to keep the economy moving.

One industry is banking. Charlotte became the banking hub of the east coast over the last decade, and due to Wachovia going under and all of the smaller banks, investment groups and mortgage lenders going kaput a lot of people are out of work.

Another industry is farming and tobacco. Since the federal government is hell bent on taxing cigarette sales to death and pushing farmers out of business a lot of people have lost the way of life that has sustained this state for two hundred years.

Then the big boy, manufacturing. So many factories and plants of every variety have gone under or packed up and moved to India/Mexico people with no college degree have a hard time finding decent paying work. They sweat it out at Wal Mart for $7 and hour and have no health benefits.

Our real estate prices have held strong in most areas due to the fact that the NC mortgage regulations are about a decade ahead of the other states in terms of preventing abuse and fraud.

The Research Triangle Park area in Raleigh is a hotbed for technology and scientific firms and Wake County/Raleigh/Cary/Chapel Hill are considered the number one place to buy and sell a home in the entire country right at the moment.

N.C. is a great state, we have cities, farmland, mountains and pristine beaches. The cost of living is still affordable right now, but with so many flocking down here from northern states it will be worse than New Jersey or Ohio in ten years.

I can say this much..I frequent the internet job boards just to keep up on what is out there and I have to tell you I have never seen so few jobs listed as I have over the past six months. The listings have steadily declined from month to month and now there just dont seem to be any places hiring.

We have all of the great universities here that are turning out graduates who cant find even entry level work. Things are tough all over I guess. My company is based out of Michigan and I hear how bad things are up there right now. Sad.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

The clock is ticking and the point of no return alarm for not being able to payoff the interest on the debt is set for 12 o'clock P.M. it is now 11:30 A.M.

Most of what you stated in your post i have learned over the last few months. The info is out there but it's always in bits and pieces. I hope for a turnaround but there is no indication of a turnaround at all. Notta. I remember when this all first started we were being told everything was fine. Then it was it might be bad for a few months, then 6 months, then all of 2009, then until late 2010. Kinda funny how the number keeps getting larger eh?

All of the economic geniuses keep increasing the length they think the recession will last. What will be their "prediction" 6 months from now or a year?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Another industry is farming and tobacco. Since the federal government is hell bent on taxing cigarette sales to death and pushing farmers out of business a lot of people have lost the way of life that has sustained this state for two hundred years.

One important thing to note about NC, is the fact that the tobacco industry was failed in more than one arena, lest of all state taxes by the other 49.

1 - the deregulation of tobacco allotments given to farmers, and the significant reduction of allotments given, opening up imports from out of the USA for raw tobacco.

2 - the complete elimination of the auction system by Phillip Morris, which completely erased the ability of the farmer to sell good crops at a good price to the highest bidder. Now, if you grow the product, you are just lucky to find a buyer.

3 - Population growth, as NC is soon to be the 5th highest most populous state, tobacco fields are very quickly becoming neighborhoods.

I know these to be true.

As well as agreeing that banking being a MAJOR industry in Charlotte, is no doubt effected by the current economic scenario.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Most of what you stated in your post i have learned over the last few months. The info is out there but it's always in bits and pieces.
Quote by DAVID9176

This made me think about when It dawnwd on me that things were bad. It hit me in the face when Oprah did a show on how to save money. Pretty bad huh....

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Although the official number, U-3 was 7.2% for December, 2008, the U-6 figure was 13.5%. In reality, the U-6 number is a better measure of true unemployment, but as you can see, reporting that number would cause wide-spread panic, so the tamer U-3 number is reported.

Real unemployment is even higher than U-6 and it's 17%.

www.shadowstats.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
NC unemployment rate also includes alot of construction workers. Ever since the economy started going down the building of new homes has been going down as well. My husband who owns his own business, has gone from doing 10 roofs a month to doing 1 a month. We have seen 5 workers lose there homes already because they couldnt make payments on there homes. 2 others will be in that same boat this coming month if things dont pick up. In August all of the Men and my husband Subed for another contractor. They still are owed over $19,000 for all of that work. But the Builder is going thru bankruptcy because no one will buy his houses. So that is money lost for Aug, Sept, and Oct. Which means that No one gets paid. The Builder doesnt get paid, The contractor doesnt get paid, and the workers dont get paid. So all and all folks here in North Carolina are losing alot of money due to the economy. Jobs are being lost left and right. My neighbor puts in water pipes for new homes he hasnt worked in 3 months and is losing his home.

A friend in Angier, her husband does foundations, and he has been out of work now for 2 months. Luckily they had some cash kept back, but next month that runs out and they will be on the street. I hate to say it but its not easy, and I dont see it getting any easier. The worst part is that when you do get a job now, folks want twice the going rate to work, that way they can pay there bills and you cant pay them twice the pay.

Brenda who owns a trailor park was telling me she has never seen her park so empty. But folks cant afford to even pay the rent because they are all losing there jobs. They are all moving in with family or moving out of state to try to find jobs. They also own a construction Business and its just sitting they cant even work.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by pmbhuntress]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pmbhuntress

And the story continues to unfold about the economy and you have just presented a domino effect that will spiral out of control. It will come to a point where the government can not help the nations people anymore and when the government is more broke then they already have become other nations will not have anymore faith in the dollar. There lies an even bigger problem that could cause the collapse of the dollar.

This is like a bad movie and people will shut it out of their minds what is happening to our economy instead of preparing for what is coming. The problem is we are and will be all living and taking a part in the bad movie.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I live in ny, was working as a machinist, got laid off
Now I'm going to college on government cheese! LOL we are doomed... thanks globalization!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I seriously do not see how this can turn around for the better until SHTF and THEN we rebound.

The ball does not bounce back until it smacks the ground. In this case, could we be the ball?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You are absolutely right about 1% seeming like an insignificant number. 1% of Michigan's population I would guess to be around 200,000 more people whom are now jobless.

The same thing is true with the population, although it is rising by only 1.54% annually, that equates into 104 million more people on the planet this year alone. That's a third of the population of the USA.

1% can be an enormous number if it is a descriptor of an enormous number.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Michigan's Governor Jennifer Granholm blew smoke up everyone's rear. She is by far one of the worst politicians the state has ever had.

Her promise in 2006 was "and in 5 years your going to be blown away!"

We are Jen, we really are. Thanks.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Granholm is a disgrace. Raising taxes on an already struggling state? How about the ridiculous driver responsibily fees?

For anyone who doesn't know what that is, certain driver infractions not only cost the price of the ticket and the inevitable increase of your insurance, but you also have to pay a yearly fee on top of that for 2 years or they will suspend your license.

It's a sham.

She will be ousted when the next election comes.

Sorry for straying off topic.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
For what it's worth, the rates ARE high, but many of those states already had a high unemployment rate. I randomly checked Michigan for 2005 results: They had the highest employment rate in the nation then as well:

www.detnews.com...

But there is no doubt rates overall are higher. Businesses are cutting back until the financial situation looks a bit better.

In times like this, I think it's better rather than to panic, to instead get your resume up-to-date, and peruse the paper and online job market sources weekly, just to have a solid pulse on your own situation. Panic solves nothing.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

Michigan's population as if Dec 22, 2006 was 10.1 million.

10.6 percent of that is 1,070,000.

That's insane. Over one million people drawing unemployment? In just Michigan alone?

And as stated in other posts...this doesn't include part timers or people who are unable to draw unemployment anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vojvoda

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Although the official number, U-3 was 7.2% for December, 2008, the U-6 figure was 13.5%. In reality, the U-6 number is a better measure of true unemployment, but as you can see, reporting that number would cause wide-spread panic, so the tamer U-3 number is reported.

Real unemployment is even higher than U-6 and it's 17%.

www.shadowstats.com...

I was going to mention that these government unemployment numbers are false. Take a poll on the streets and you will see 17%+ unemployment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join