It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas same-sex divorce case a first for Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Dallas same-sex divorce case a first for Texas

www.dallasnews.com

In what could further define the rights of same-sex couples in Texas and beyond, a Dallas man has filed for divorce from his husband and longtime partner.

The men married in Cambridge, Mass., in 2006 and later returned to Dallas. But on Wednesday one of the pair, citing "discord or conflict of personalities," asked a state district court in Dallas to void the union in what is believed to be the first such action in Texas.

"We'll see what happens," said attorney Peter Schulte, representing the man who asked that he and his former partner not be identified.

"Personal things could happen to us that wouldn't happen to other people," the man said Thursday. "My company has an extremely low tolerance for publicity."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dallasvoice.com
www.kvue.com
www.nbcdfw.com

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I did a search on this and didnt see anything about this particular story so I decided to share it with you.

Being from Texas this story particularly interests me. I am a firm supporter of gay rights, equal rights, and the right of gay people to marry.

If I recall correctly this is not the first gay divorce , but it is the first gay divorce in Texas.

I believe that gay people have just as many rights as straight people, and to impede upon their rights is unconstitutional.

I find it funny when people say that gay people want special treatment, when all they are asking for is EQUAL treatment.

I fear that this may some how be spun into a "reason that gay people shouldnt marry", even though straight people get married and divorced all the time.

I am sorry that things did not work out with this couple and I am curious to hear everyones opinion on this couple, gay marriage and gay divorce.

I am curious what people think of the issues that they are having with getting this divorce both legally and morally.So what do you guys think of this gay divorce and gay rights in general?

www.dallasnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I wonder if they will even recognize it?

I think if I recall states that do not legalize gay marraige can choose not to recognize it if the union was performed in another state.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What do I think?
Well for starters str8 couples do a good job of destroying marriage on their own... the gays just add a little more slice to the knife.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is the reason I'm against gay marriage. I think the only people that will really come out ahead in it is the divorce lawyers. Gives those snakes another group of people to prey on.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
This is the reason I'm against gay marriage. I think the only people that will really come out ahead in it is the divorce lawyers. Gives those snakes another group of people to prey on.

You're against gay marriage because sometimes they will want a divorce?

Well then following logic, you are against straight marriage as well, no?

Or am I not understanding you? If not please explain further. Thanks buddy for posting buddy! I do appreciate your participation.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Let's just go ahead and outlaw marraige, period. SOunds good to me!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

I think if I recall states that do not legalize gay marraige can choose not to recognize it if the union was performed in another state.

Apparently they are blocking it, atleast according to NBC 5 news.

www.nbcdfw.com...

Its being blocked because gay marriage is not recognized in texas and therefore according to the law, you cant get a divorce if your not married by the law.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Apparently they are blocking it, atleast according to NBC 5 news.

www.nbcdfw.com...

Its being blocked because gay marriage is not recognized in texas and therefore according to the law, you cant get a divorce if your not married by the law.

I seem to remember a similar case with two woman who wanted to get divorced.

Their home state did not recognize their union, so they would have had to travel back to the state they got married in, live there (together) for a year to establish residency, and then file for and finalize divorce.

It was a terrible situation for them. Hopefully these two will at least be able to file for an annulment.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I seem to remember a similar case with two woman who wanted to get divorced.

Their home state did not recognize their union, so they would have had to travel back to the state they got married in, live there (together) for a year to establish residency, and then file for and finalize divorce.

It was a terrible situation for them. Hopefully these two will at least be able to file for an annulment.

wow thats crazy.I just dont understand why we insist on giving gay people such a hard time when it comes to equal rights.

Gay citizens are just as much a citizen as straight citizens are yet we insist on treating them like they are some how lesser.

gay people have equal rights yet we dont give it to them.

Just the same as straight people, gay people should be allowed to marry and should need be, get divorced.

The argument that some one has made (just as I thoughtt it would be) that gay peopel should not be allowed to marry because of this is ludacris, simply because of the fact that straight people marry and divorce too.

By that logic, if gay people shouldnt be allowed to marry because they might divorce, then straight people shouldnt either.

Gay people should be permitted every right that straight people are and its a shame that they arent

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I'm with you on that.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I'm with you on that.

You know whats funny, I meant to just reply to you with the first sentence of my post, but I ended up saying all the rest. I just feel strongly about it I suppose.

But then again it is a pretty hot issue, and alot of people feel strongly one way or the other.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Every single day we get closer to a time when gays will marry legally and in all fifty states. The old bigots keep dying and the younger generation filling their spots will make it legal for gays to marry. I think it is inevitable. As these bigots bite the dust, this acceptance WILL come. We will always have people who put other people and groups down, simply because this seems to be the only way these people can feel good about themselves. To bad.

My great hope is that the people on this planet eventually can let other people do as they please without feeling they have to control them. As long as a person is not hurting another, leave them alone. This of course is a pipe dream because lots of people (especially those in power) have no problems telling someone else they should or shouldn't be doing something, and more often then not, turn around and do the exact same thing. Eliminate the hipocrates, and a lot of these problems just fade away.

God Bless!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Every single day we get closer to a time when gays will marry legally and in all fifty states. The old bigots keep dying and the younger generation filling their spots will make it legal for gays to marry. I think it is inevitable. As these bigots bite the dust, this acceptance WILL come. We will always have people who put other people and groups down, simply because this seems to be the only way these people can feel good about themselves. To bad.

My great hope is that the people on this planet eventually can let other people do as they please without feeling they have to control them. As long as a person is not hurting another, leave them alone. This of course is a pipe dream because lots of people (especially those in power) have no problems telling someone else they should or shouldn't be doing something, and more often then not, turn around and do the exact same thing. Eliminate the hipocrates, and a lot of these problems just fade away.

God Bless!

You are so right.

You have reminded me of something that Sidney portier said in the movie "Guess who is coming to dinner" The movie was aimed more at racism but it fits nicely here.

Keep in mind this isnt word for word, but in the movie speaking to his father who was against him marrying a white girl he said

" Your generation thinks that your way is the right way and you can not see how any other way could work. Well, the reality is that your way could not be more wrong. You try to force your way on to my generation and you wonder why we fight you? We will not be able to move on untill the last of your generation lays down and dies. Only then will we be able to move on with our lives and live in harmony, peace and equality"

As you said, only when the bigoted previous generations die, can we move on and and move forward.

The constitution garuntees equal rights for all US citizens. Impeding on ANYONES rights is unconstitutional and illegal. Gay people do not want "special treatment" they want EQUAL TREATMENT.

To anyone that thinks equal treatment for gay people is "special you are WRONG. Equal rights for all, not special treatment for some.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

join