It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honor Knows No Rank!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

I have nothing against those brave men & women in combat, they are brave, no doubt, for being in harm way, but heroes?

If you really make an act of heroism, then yes, your fellow soldiers or the society can call you hero, but if you just step on a mine or your vehicle exploded in pieces, and you were in it, how does this make you an hero.

If everybody is an hero, how do you call someone doing an act of heroism?, a super-hero?

This is off-course, if word, still have meaning.

I understand what you are trying to say but I believe you are focusing on the wrong "act."

Definitions of Hero:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

dictionary

The act of heroism is not exclusive to the way any specific soldier loses his/her life. It might have been in the course of an act of bravery or it may not.

The heroism imo, is attributed to the act of volunteering to take up arms in the defense of others. That simple but infinitely selfless act is heroic in nature.

Heroism is not really the issue here however.
It is about honor.
And as is the thread title, honor knows no rank.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
It's also appropriate for Americans to start seeing the price we pay for our decisions and misfortunes.

That is so true.

You know, the second link in the OP to the Arlington Cemetery website is one that imho everyone should have bookmarked. It is an unpleasant but appropriate reminder of the true cost of our freedom. I don't say this in a dogmatic way, intelligent people can disagree on policy, but no one should forget those who bear the cost of those decisions.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join