It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghetto Britain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

GHETTO BRITAIN

www.dailystar.co.uk

MUSLIMS want to create their own communities and remain segregated from British society.

A shocking 44% think they should be free to develop along separate lines.

But critics claim Muslims will create their own ghettos if they are left to their own devices.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps Title.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I often have mixed feelings on immigration.

On the one hand, living in the US, this is a country founded on immigration. In the old days, 25-30% of the immigrants didn't like being in the US and ended up returning home.

Now, if your an immigrant, legal or illegal and you're having difficulty living here, you can get welfare.

I support immigration from people who want to move here to work and become citizens.

I don't support welfare for immigrants who can't cut it here.

I'm strongly oppose to people who think that they should be able to live here but don't want to adopt our culture.

www.dailystar.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just take a look at the town of Guadalupe next to Tempe in Arizona.
It is a little Mexico in America, where they keep their culture, and way of life.
Thats fine, but that part of town is now falling apart, and ghetto. There are tons of drugs, and lots of crime. So yes, I can see this happening.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It is happening here in the US also.

I think that we need an immigration overhaul.

I think that department of labor should be in charge of quotas for immigration so that it is proportional to the need we have for workers.

I also think that we need the best and brightest people that we can find for immigration.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OK, I don't like attacking the source, but this IS the daily star which is on a par with the national enquirer.

If the OP can find something a little more reliable, I'll gladly debate this.

No offense OP, it's a good topic, I just have experience of the star fudging the figures to try and make them represent something they don't.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
All I can say - is we better learn how to live with each other now.
We are a world of muts. We need to recognize that -
before we completely annihilate ourselves.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

I support immigration from people who want to move here to work and become citizens.

I don't support welfare for immigrants who can't cut it here.

I'm strongly oppose to people who think that they should be able to live here but don't want to adopt our culture.

This is exactly how I feel about immigration!

The whole idea of "illegal immigrants" is moronic. If you can move here, work, support your family, and LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH, you are a legal immigrant as far as I'm concerned.

For all the foreign immigrants who want to hold onto their culture, that's fine. Just learn to speak the language and get used to our customs.

If I wanted to move to France, I would brush up on my French and start eating crepes. I wouldn't go there and wave guns around and eat cheeseburgers and talk about football (American), because if I wanted to do that stuff I would just stay in the US, like I do. I don't care if France has a better economy and a better healthcare system, I am proud of being an American. If Muslim immigrants want to move to Britain, they'd better try to fit in, or they are basically asking for the culture rift they are creating. It won't be too long before the native Brits have had enough and start asking them to kindly leave.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Same here in the bigger cities in Holland. With to top it off, a HUGE mosque built in Rotterdam and one planned in Amsterdam. I wouldn't have any problem with it if other religions could build their huge 'houses of god' in Islam countries. But sadly, that isn't the case.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by mortje]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That news report is over the top. I mean just look at the picture they put, they find the worst possible picture, and then basically say in bold letters muslims don't wanna play nice.

This is propaganda.

Propaganda - Propaganda is the deliberate, systematic attempt to shape perceptions, manipulate cognitions, and direct behavior to achieve a response that furthers the desired intent of the propagandist.

Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the cognitive narrative of the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
OK, I don't like attacking the source, but this IS the daily star which is on a par with the national enquirer.

If the OP can find something a little more reliable, I'll gladly debate this.

No offense OP, it's a good topic, I just have experience of the star fudging the figures to try and make them represent something they don't.

I hate to say but the enquirer is probably just as credible as the lies our common news sources spew daily. There's always "some truth" to the story, just the plot surrounding it is usually twisted truths or totally made up.

Now as for the topic at hand. I believe that if these or any group of people are going to a country to start their own segregated group, It shouldn't be allowed. If you want segregation sooo bad,stay where you where. I believe we would be able to manage our communities actions and crimes easier if race and religion wasn't involved. All the allegations and accusations of nonsense. poeople trying to manipulate the laws to their favor playing the RACE or RELIGION card sickens me.

What ever happened to TRUTH? The entire world tries to base our laws and beliefs on morality and all we ever do is lie, manipulate and deceive to further our agendas or financial prosperity. EVERY person and religion is corrupted and claims purity, sinlessness and morality.

These are all attributes that represent what every religon portrays as evil. The Devil. Funny how we all point fingers yet are just as guilty.Let he who is whithout sin cast the first stone. (Now everybody drops their rocks).

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mortje

I've often wondered what would happen if people of a country demanded that their politicians enact religious reciprocity laws. Other nations can only fund religious activities in your country if you can fund religious activities in theirs.

So for instance, Saudi Arabia could only be allowed to build mosks and send their Islamic teachers to your country if your country was allowed to fund churches in Saudi Arabia and send their missionaries.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I pretty much posted that, but it seems that the opportunity to rant about muslims and immigration is too great a temptation for some.

If only these people would remember that their countries were founded on immigration, and in the case of the UK saved by immigration after WW2.

I'm done posting in here unless some semblance of credibility comes in.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

To some extent we already have self-imposed segregation in many of the large and tight-knit muslim communities throughout the UK.

However, the irony is that segregation simply serves to generate and perpetuate percieved differences between those in the community and those outside; effectively an "us and them" psychology. This in turn increases perceived differences and elevates suspicion, blame, lack of trust etc in both groups. From this, hostilities increase etc etc...

Unfortunately, as news stories like this continue, more and more people are turning to the BNP - perceiving it as the only available voice - despite the extreme views of the party. One can only guess where high volume support for such extreme right-wing views could lead - but it's safe to say it will lead to a scarier place than if common sense was applied in the first place.

The most frustrating thing for me is that the government made a rod for its own back when it failed to champion integration. I just worry about the price we could ALL pay as a result

[edit on 23/1/09 by lizziejayne]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The primary problem we have in American, at least in the South and South west, are Hispanics crossing the border, both legally and illegally and then refusing to assimilate into the culture.
I have no problem with them retaining their culture, but if they are going to live in my country, then they need to learn my culture. The same goes for the language. If you are going to live in the United State, learn English. If I am going to live in Mexico, I will learn Spainish. If I choose to live in Brazil, I will learn Porteguese.
On the flip side, if you make the effort to learn my language and my culture, I am going to be more likely to learn your language, and your culture, especially where food, drink, and interpersonel relationships are concerned.
Unfortunately, a great many of the people who immigrate here stay to themselves, because they are afraid they or their children will be "contaminated" by our culture. (I refer here to Indians and Pakistanis. Not all, but a great many.) If you don't want to be contaminated by American culture, then why did you come here>

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

I gave you a star for that reply.

It was excellent.

If you're going to have immigration, you as a country need to plan for the immigrants to assimilate into your country.

You can't have a country within a country.

I think that the US, from what I've seen, has not planned very well to help immigrants become Americans.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You move to Britain...you live in Britain.

You learn the language, you learn the laws, you learn the customs...and you accept all of them. This group of countries does not suddenly change to suit you, you change to fit in with the particular country you moved to. I would expect no more for myself.

You most certainly do not try and make your own country continue here. If that is what you want; go home. I wont go to your country, and set up a town entirely for people from mine... so don't do the same here. Live with us or go...

Keep your religion, and express it publicly, yes fine. But also accept the religions already present.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Who are you talking to? lol

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

A star for you as well.

That was an excellent description of my feelings.

I'm not opposed to immigration.

I am opposed to illegal immigration post 911.

I only want people to come to my country because they respect our culture and want to be a part of the culture.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It is a hypothetical 'you' to express how I feel towards immigration and the story in question. That 'you' is nobody in this thread. The 'you' applies to any and all immigrants.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Unfort this has been going on for years over in the UK. I remember when I lived in Birmingham before I moved here to Australia that an area just down the road from us called Alum Rock was a literal muslim ghetto...... If you were white / black / asian there was no way you would walk down there during the day or night..... unless you were keen to get a kickin from old mate and about 30 of their relatives.....

In a way that stuff kinda pushed my decision to move over to Australia away from all that crap.... Not really keen for race wars when i decide to have children

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join