It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Super Glue to close wounds.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I mean really its risky.Getting the compounds in super glue into the bloodstream could be toxic.But generally it dries quick before it would seep into the wound.And if they are holding the skin together tight not much would get in.
But honestly it would be better to stitch yourself up, or even burn the wound closed.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

What if the ant is on it's way home from a pile of cow dung? Places where ants go aren't exactly sanitary so if you do this you better have a special stash of clean ants

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have done this with wounds on my fingertips, after I cleaned them of course. Once from where I cut myself on a guitar string, another time where I accidentally stitched through my finger with my sewing machine.

It worked OK but deep or muscular wounds would be another story.

I also got a big, deep cut about 2" long on my forehead after someone hit me with a bottle once. At the hospital the docs used the industrial version of super-glue to close it. They said that this is the standard now, for wounds that are not jagged, as it leaves much less scaring. I still look like Harry Potter though.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Also a vet... I do A LOT of spay/neuter surgeries working for a lot cost spay neuter clinic on the weekends. I routinely use it for a final last closure for the skin. I typically for example- close the abdominal wall, then the subQ tissue, then the skin using a stitch pattern that goes right beneath the skin and should and usually does make the skin come together. For cats particularly the feral ones, I use this as well to just cover the incision. I believe they do not lick it as much after surgery if it is completely closed with the glue allowing the incision site a few days to get some initial healing in before the cat can really start licking it! I have seen less incision reactions this way, especially in feral spays.

I occasionally do rat surgeries and ALWAYS USE IT!!!! Rats will remove sutures, I do not care if they are subQ or metal or staples they get them out often compromising the incision site. In vet school my friend’s pet rat removed her spay incision suture to the abdominal wall and was found in her cage with her intestines just waving in the breeze! (the story had a happy ending, the rat was brought to the emergency clinic at the vet school and was able to be saved with re-closure and a course of antibiotics). So I ALWAYS use a small suture size to close then use the glue, that is the only way I have found to reliably stop these guys from removing their sutures!

I can also say I used it on my self once, cause in the middle of the day I F$&^*$d up and did not take my blade off my scalpel when I was done with one surgery, went to go put the pack in the sink and the blade came through and into my hand. I could have used several stitches but there was no other vet there and we had a bunch more animals to do, so I glued it! It stung REALLY bad and even though I washed out the cut before hand it got infected and then all swollen and I had to get the glue off by soaking ect for the wound to drain. It was fine after that.

Lastly, while it is great for just the skin, I NEVER use it on any other wounds or deep in tissue! If too much gets in-between the opposing layers of skin/tissue it will stop it from healing and can cause a foreign body reaction. People and animals can also have allergic reactions to it! It should also never be used as replacement for good suturing technique!

If you were out in the wilderness or on the battle field, then I think this is a great option for an initial primary closure of wounds but otherwise if in need of stitches go to your local ER!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I've been surfing for over twenty years now and super glue was always part of my travel pack. I can't tell you how many times I've closed cuts to my feet using it. Granted, I always clean the wound thoroughly first, but hey, when you're living off of a boat 100 nautical miles from the nearest major port surfing a reef pass, or many hours south of the border in Baja Mexico, you do what you have to do to get back in the water. I've also used fishing line to stitch myself up after a nasty cut to the arch of my foot. (Stepped on a piece of glass in the sand)

[edit on 1/29/09 by surfinguru]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
For closing wounds Steri-Strips, 3M™ Blenderm™ Surgical Tapes

Or a field expedient non skin penetrating suturing done by taking surgical tape and folding a small amount over and placing the tape on both sides of the wound, then using suturing material or even fishing line sew the folded over edges of the tape together like lacing a pair of boots.

All these methods allow the wounds to drain, super glue does not,

These methods also allow antibiotics to be applied as needed, super glue does not

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join