It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army vs. U.S. Marine Corps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by himself

Hey I was A Cavalry Scout in the ARMY
16 Weeks OSAT> Which is Bootcamp and AIT Mixed together in one place.
Fort Knox< Kentucky!
I believe that was alot harder than the 3-month bootcamp the Marines do
I Love the Army. It was the best.
About Marines. I like Marines, but I truly wonder how they would fair against the Scouts. We train harder longer and I don't think that they are greater. I think we are close or equal. Even if our initial training is a month longer. I may even join the Marines soon. Just to see what it is like.
Oh and by the way. The Royal British Marines. Are probably better than our Marines, because. You cant walk into the RBM. You have to be chosen from the The Brittish ARMY to be a Marine Commando. It's more selective. You need experience just to be considered. It's like a Special Forces Unit.
I like that about the British Military. Every Ground Combat Soldier joins the ARMY first. Which is the way it should be.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The meaning of MARINE: M- muscles A- are R-required I-intelligence N-not E-essential. HAHAHAHA

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
One Shot, One Kill, that was the Motto of the USMC when I was in. The USMC boot camp is required for ALL recruits, despite past Military service. this is not so for any other branch of the US military. My MOS is extinct (2542, teletype) I was trained by Vietnam Vets 79-83 and I have to say some of them were sick bastages. ( ever seen a human ear necklace?? )
However I never regretted the torments I went through during training (I still run 20 miles a week 25 years later) I ride a bike to work everyday and Best of all, I can STILL fit in my dress Blues Semper Fi

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I would hope that the Army of today is better than they were during the Vietnam War. The guys that were drafted towards the latter part of the war were by reason of sanity, not about to do a damned thing that they didn't have to. In the Corps the few that were drafted weren't even allowed out in the bush. There were plenty of guys that did an extra six months and some did it in the bush, by reason of insanity. I think that Marines of the Vietnam era share in an irreverence for the Corps amongst themselves, but will do their best to mangle anyone else that was to smear it. The Army had much more artillery, and air support from the Air Force, than the Marines but they weren't good at all in coordinating close air support, with artillery. Their helicopter pilots for the most part were younger than Marine pilots and really good. I was with India 3/9 in late March 69 and we were attached to the 1st Bgde 5thMech Div. on Operation Montana Marauder and I was astounded by the way they did things. We got a medal out of the thing, but I don't know why. Most of our casualties were due to friendly fire. It would have been real bad if they had known how to aim. We had been the last company out of the A Shau Valley on operation Dewey Canyon, just days before. That one was 56 days long, the longest I ever went with out bathing. It isn't fair to try and compare the two, but take notice of who flies the Presidential helicopter and guards the embassies. I have never gotten over what I saw these 18 and 19 year old kids do and what they were about. The signature below this is a quote about them, from "Dispatches" by Michael Herr

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

marines suck ass

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
No offense to all who've already posted, but most of what I've read on here has been laughable. I'm a Marine officer and platoon commander. The strength of the Marine Corps is primarily centered, in my opinion, on two things.

1) Discipline. Argue all you want, no service is more disciplined than the Marine Corps. From the proper carrying/handling/cleaning/accountability of our gear and weapons, to the pride we take in our service, to the observance of customs and courtesies (snappy salutes, proper greetings, looking good in uniform, etc.), I will tell you all that anyone who dares to claim their service has an edge on the USMC is either a liar or an idiot. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to destroy (verbally correct) a junior soldier, sailor, or airmen for their behavior in uniform, but didn't because there's no sense in trying to hold them to a standard that their own commanders don't expect. On the other hand, if I see a Marine Private who is jacked up, I need only tell them tactfully to fix themselves, or just point him out to an NCO (non-commissioned officer/Corporal or Sergeant) and BAM! problem corrected. That is the beauty of a Marine - discipline.

2) Employment of forces as a MAGTF (Marine Air/Ground Task Force - Pronounced "mag-taf"). I saw someone mention the MEU(SOC) [Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable)]. This is a MAGTF, and for my purposes here, I'll refer to them interchangeably (though they're not really the same thing - difficult to explain and not really pertinent here). The whole idea of MAGTF organization and employment is to have a combined-arms force in readiness, capable of deploying quickly and logistically sustaining itself for a period of time. This means that a MAGTF brings its own air, ground, naval, and logistical assets to the fight. There is no other force from any country in the world that can do this, including the US Army or Air Force. The Marine Corps operates (in conjunction with the Navy) in a manner that puts its enemy on the "horns of a dilemma," without the means to escape, fight, or effectively dictate any change in the battlefield situation.

So yeah, you could probably say we're the best. My Lord, how I would hate to have to fight us.
Semper Fi

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
With all men being more or less equal, he who is trained in the severest school will prevail.

Marines, Army, AF, Seals - depends on what the mission is. Great, fantastic troops. Sorry senior leadership.

One thing for certain. Our Army Generals couldn't find their asses without a compass, map, and a Second Lieutenant shining the light.

Ask those three and four stars how many personal kills they've made.

That's right.

Our generals don't know what they don't know, aren't willing to learn, can't change, won't change, and we lose good men because they really don't know their job.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
the marines are tougher then everyone else. the army is nothing but pussies. the marines are nothing but strong ass men and some women that do all the work while the pussies(the army) dont do #

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Originally posted by Anonymous ATS Oh and by the way. The Royal British Marines. Are probably better than our Marines, because. You cant walk into the RBM. You have to be chosen from the The Brittish ARMY to be a Marine Commando. It's more selective. You need experience just to be considered. It's like a Special Forces Unit. I like that about the British Military. Every Ground Combat Soldier joins the ARMY first. Which is the way it should be.

Anonymous old friend, I'd better put you straight before the Squibs rise up from Davy Jone's Locker and dance on your head. The Royal Marines are on the Orbat of our Royal Navy, mate! They ain't part of any other British Armed Forces.

You may not be aware of this, but the Royal Navy is the Senior Service. Squibs are just glorified seaborne infantry but even I must admit, they are a cut above the rest.

On behalf of our Royal Marines I would like to thank you for the compliment. God knows they've earnt it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ok whoever said that the Marines would kick the regular Army's behind has to be eating paint. Try the Cavalry or Airborne oh and what about the Airborne Cavalry. Army Cavalry Scout bootcamp is longer and harder than Marines Boot camp. And if it's Airborne. Man your crazy! It never gets easy they keep breaking you down all the way through. Week 13 Marines went home or to A school and they stop the breaking you down after boot. Week 13 in the Cav. We were in the field eating dirt and getting smoked til our eyes were about to pop out. We deploy longer too. Marines only go for six months. That's only half A deployment or less in the Army. And about the Marines being there first. That depends on the Mission because Rangers have been called to go first many time and some of those times it was at the same time that the Marines went. Marines get there first because they are on Navy ships and they just just happen to be in the Area.Not because they are better.
I am not the guy who says we are better either.
We all have Sacrifices to make and should Love and respect our Brothers and Sisters who have to make those sacrifices.
Stop acting like children and If you ever run into A soldier with A Black Stetson hat and Spurs on his boots. That's A Cavalry Scout. Show some respect because we don't get enough credit for what we do. Ok!
God Bless the ARMY and the Marines. We need both.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Marines, end of story. duh, classified as shock troops hello. if ANY army unit got a salute report that included "you will be faceing a force of marines" those that did'nt run and hide would be quickly eliminated with speed, intensity, and violence of action. that's just what we...er they do. ok, busted i'm bias, Semper Fi

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
"Ranger's lead the way!" Marines are better than reg army but army SF (rangers, delta teams) trump the marine corps. I kinda feel sorry for the higher up leadership of the Marine Corps. They are a spawn of the navy and most of the senior leaders attended the Naval Academy but their military operations and ranking system are more akin to the Army (some Marines do attend the USMA but only a few). There is no 4 year Marine Academy (only a Quantico facility). But in the final analysis they are on the same side and brothers at arms...."we few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...."

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well you can't compare the two services because their missions are totally different..The USMC is a QRF for the country, there's fewer of them then any other service because it's easier and cheaper to move them that way(you didn't think they're the few and the proud because it's hard to get into. it's just 12 weeks of basic trainining people).

The Army on the other hand is better equipped, better funded, and better staffed than any other service. The differences between basic and bootcamp people argue about all the time is bull# because most training is done at the unit and all that depends on MOS..and to the idiot who compared a basic Marine or even an Infantry Marine to SF and SEALs should kill himself..how the hell you gonna compare guys who've gone through 1 1/2 - 2 years of intense training schools to a guy who's had maybe 12 - 15 weeks of "not as intense as you think" training..come on guys. And even then you still can't compare SF to SEALs because their mission statements are totally different

.but i will give the Force Recon guys credit..but their mission is still different then the rest of SOF...and Special Operations Forces-Capable isn't Special Operations(you guys need to really stop throwing that around in forums, cuz i'm willing to bet nobody here is in a SOF MOS or "SOF-Capable)..all that means is you guys can support SOF..which isn't all that special..all you gonna do is probably be a Cordon or a QRF..that's it..

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i say USMC all the way # the army. yes im a marine and im sick of being called "solider!". i didnt go thought 13 weeks of hell to be called that.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghost001
i say USMC all the way # the army. yes im a marine and im sick of being called "solider!". i didnt go thought 13 weeks of hell to be called that.

I see where you are coming from. This topic is about the different of the two. So as a Marine myself it does suck to hear people call you a solider. That is cause people dont know better. They watch movies and everthing is "solider this solider that". Just like everyone is a "Sarge". For some people movies are the only military they people see.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I was in the Army, but I will admit that the marines will kick the Army's butt, my brother was a grunt and I have seen some of what he has done.
MEU is spec ops capable, force recon in my opinion is the same level as seals because the training and missions are very comparable.

Now that MARSOC is established and I am pretty sure now or in the near future a member of JSOC, they will make be a shining example for others to follow. Thats why their first to fight, because their so good. Americas 911 force.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardeeboy

I was in the Army, but I will admit that the marines will kick the Army's butt, my brother was a grunt and I have seen some of what he has done.
MEU is spec ops capable, force recon in my opinion is the same level as seals because the training and missions are very comparable.

Now that MARSOC is established and I am pretty sure now or in the near future a member of JSOC, they will make be a shining example for others to follow. Thats why their first to fight, because their so good. Americas 911 force.

A few ppl I know seem to think it will be a while before MARSOC will be truly ready of course that is just their opinion .Of course with the experience these ppl have and who they are I value and trust their opinion .
Nothing will ever be better than Army Special Forces .

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SFwife

Thats true as far as Army SF go's, but if we got invaded the way that orginal poster described it would be really bad. Nuclear war would probaly be the only option.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join