It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army vs. U.S. Marine Corps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I hate to make it a U.S. vs. U.S. scenario, but there have always been glaring differences between the U.S. Army's method of warfare as opposed to the U.S. Marine Corps.

For one thing, the Marines always seem to relish CQB situations, while the Army has always faltered in the situation, as we are now seeing in Iraq. Marines also seem to accomplish their missions with better efficiency despite the fact they are primitive and underequipped compared to the U.S. Army.

Another interesting factor. Marine Expeditionary Units are Special Operations-Capable. Does anyone believe they could be superior to U.S. Army Rangers, who execute very similar special operations as the Marines?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo Marine Expeditionary Units are Special Operations-Capable. Does anyone believe they could be superior to U.S. Army Rangers, who execute very similar special operations as the Marines?

I do, and I am very confident in my stance.
ARMY Rangers are glorified infantry, sure they possess some modivated individuals who work well as a team, I would put my money on the MEU.

I also agree that our ARMED FORCES are being utilized bass ackwards.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
the thing is that marines are like shock troopers where as the army is more about power through numbers. I have heard from some that the maines training is much more intense then that of your army GI.

as for the MEU vs Ranger thing - as always, it comes down to the individual units and squads - you cannot make wholesale sweeping generalizations. There are undoubtedly some from either side that would be superior then some from the other side, and some that would be better at individual tasks.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
marines are basicaly ur first strike weapons they go in and hold it and wait for the army or other forces to take over from them
the army is more a large force for larger battlezones while marines are basicaly for smaller grab and hold type situation

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
the thing is that marines are like shock troopers where as the army is more about power through numbers. I have heard from some that the maines training is much more intense then that of your army GI.

as for the MEU vs Ranger thing - as always, it comes down to the individual units and squads - you cannot make wholesale sweeping generalizations. There are undoubtedly some from either side that would be superior then some from the other side, and some that would be better at individual tasks.

Marines do recieve more intense - and better - training. They are strict when it comes to shooting a rifle. They teach martial arts and train Marines to be deadly close-combat warriors. And their training lasts 12 weeks, the longest.

Rangers vs. MEU, let's say that there was a military airfield to be secured. What would fare better, a single Ranger Company or Marine Rifle Company?

The point I'm trying to make is that Marines seem to be better trained for smaller operations, and are also seem to be more proficient in operations in structures, urban areas, just any place built-up. They seem to be better "street-soldiers." Is this a fair assessment?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
marines are basicaly ur first strike weapons they go in and hold it and wait for the army or other forces to take over from them
the army is more a large force for larger battlezones while marines are basicaly for smaller grab and hold type situation

Take everything into account: training, troop ability, numbers, firepower/technology, etc. What would last in a big urban battle: an entire U.S. Army brigade or an M.E.U.? They're pretty much the same size.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Who would last longest is the one who would have the most fully armored vehicles left after all the anti-tank missiles were expended.

That would probably be the Army brigade if they were deployed at full strength.

More realistically it would be whoever had the most close air support.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
arnt u just saying what i was saying?
i dont know much about US marines but i know our marines are not designed for squadie roles thier comandos so im guessing ur lot are sameish so i guess ur lot would only be thier for a limited amount of time not like the army thier designed for longer drawn out conflicts

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well I happen to be a Marine. I recently just got out of the Marine Corps and am now in the Army National Guard.

The differences between the Marines and the Rangers/Army are these:

The Marine Corps is considered and Force in Readiness. Which basically means that we need little notification for a deployment. This is why the Marines are usually asked to go in first. Any attack needs a fast calculated attack in order for the rest of the troops to come in and take control.

Rangers are designed somewhat in the same manner, however they are not designed for the quick inserts and attacks that the M.E.U's are used for.

And as far as better training, I don't necessarily think it's better training. It comes down to discipline and small unit leadership. The more elite the unit is, the more discipline is demostrated and understood. The Marine Corps is the smallest branch of service and thus has to be very discplined in order to achieve its goals. The Army is big and slow. But when you break it down to the units it has Rangers and Special Forces. Break it down and it's not better training it's descipline and more extensive training. The Navy is the same way. My cousin is a SEAL and and says that the regular Navy is big and lazy and he dislikes it very much. But when it comes to the SEAL teams, they are smaller and have to use that small unit leadership and the extensive training.

It would be easy to say that the Marine Corps is the best or Rangers, or SF (Special Forces) or Navy SEALs are the best but that just isn't so. Each one is designed for a specific purpose and each one is the best at what they do. It's apple's and oranges to compare Rangers to Marine M.E.U's. All in all they are brothers in arms and rely on each other to help get the job done.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Marines vs regular army? the Marines would kick the army's azz.
Marines vs Special Forces or Rangers?
That would depend on the scenario in which they find themselves.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
whats an meu?
(marine expiditionary unit?)

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DareDevil
Well I happen to be a Marine. I recently just got out of the Marine Corps and am now in the Army National Guard.

The differences between the Marines and the Rangers/Army are these:

The Marine Corps is considered and Force in Readiness. Which basically means that we need little notification for a deployment. This is why the Marines are usually asked to go in first. Any attack needs a fast calculated attack in order for the rest of the troops to come in and take control.

Rangers are designed somewhat in the same manner, however they are not designed for the quick inserts and attacks that the M.E.U's are used for.

And as far as better training, I don't necessarily think it's better training. It comes down to discipline and small unit leadership. The more elite the unit is, the more discipline is demostrated and understood. The Marine Corps is the smallest branch of service and thus has to be very discplined in order to achieve its goals. The Army is big and slow. But when you break it down to the units it has Rangers and Special Forces. Break it down and it's not better training it's descipline and more extensive training. The Navy is the same way. My cousin is a SEAL and and says that the regular Navy is big and lazy and he dislikes it very much. But when it comes to the SEAL teams, they are smaller and have to use that small unit leadership and the extensive training.

It would be easy to say that the Marine Corps is the best or Rangers, or SF (Special Forces) or Navy SEALs are the best but that just isn't so. Each one is designed for a specific purpose and each one is the best at what they do. It's apple's and oranges to compare Rangers to Marine M.E.U's. All in all they are brothers in arms and rely on each other to help get the job done.

First off, thanks for your services as a Marine to the United States. I know it's cliched, but we all appreciate your services to this country, whatever the cause. The sacrifices you made are commendable at the least.

I liked your last quote, about how they are all part of the same team in the end. Right on. While I believe that certain services are better than others, I don't believe in the whole rivalry thing.

Let me ask you this: is there a reason why you left the Marine Corps and went to Army National Guard? With the problems in the U.S. Army, it doesn't seem as such a desirable field anymore. Am I wrong?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
whats an meu?
(marine expiditionary unit?)

Correct.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I left the Marine Corps to persue a Warrent Officer program and then on to flight school for the AH-64 Apache. Yes there are problems with the Army but maybe I can make it a little better by example. I will never say that I'm better than any one unless it's true. I truly do believe in the small unit leadership and will do my best to demonstrate that by example. I already miss the Corps, however I am excited for the new adventure I am trying to undertake. I'll never bash any branch of service even if another branch is stronger by brut force. But then again, that's not the point. I hope that can clarify some things. If you have any more questions, just ask. OUT.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What I would give to pilot an Apache....A leg.

Also, which unit of the armed forces is the most technologically equipped? I see all these new weapons on documentaries yet I never hear of them in the Iraq conflict.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
well i think that all of the services are the best!
aka the navy has the best boats
aka the aiforce has the best aeroplanes and the marines have the best amphibios things(?)
the army has the best ummm tankish things
the reserves have the best umm time off!
joking the reserves are just as good as the real guys

devilwasp out

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well it depends on what we're talking about here. I mean if you're talking about SOG's (Special Operations Groups) then it would be a toss up of Navy SEAL's, Special Forces, or Air Force Air Controller's (they're like commando's). But if you just talking about over all, then it would probably be the Air Force. What specifically do want to know about?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
look can we save the whos branch for another time we can accept if u wanna have a thread on this but we are comparing the us amry and marine core
besides we all know that the US postal service is the most technologicaly advanced!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I am refering to infantry units. Infared, night vision. Do they make use of all these things. Sorry for long response time. Shower brushing teeth etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I would have to say the Navy SEALs then or the Special Forces. They both have very large budgets so they get all kinds of cool toys. They get Night Vision Goggles (NVG's), re-breather's, several different weapon varients dependent upon the type of operation. And then there's the comm. My cousin who's the SEAL says they use these special earbuds that get sound from the inner bone in you ear vibrating. Apparently it pics of the vibs and uses that to transmit your talking. I mean the list goes on and on. As far as infared is concerned, I don't know of any group that would have that for personal use. Most of that type of equipment is mounted on aircraft or hummers or something along that nature. Oh and don't worry about the response time. I have an infant at home so it may take me even longer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join