It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Robert Ford pushes to outlaw profanity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
State Senator Robert Ford is hoping to outlaw lewd language ...

Well &$^%#%$ that ... and $^#%#%## him as well.

Seriously though - people should know that there is a proper time and place for all 'cuss' words. Like a funeral is not a good place for people to drop 'f' bombs. Grade school is another place not to cuss. But at a hockey game you can let one fly now and then.

But you can't legislate it.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Next up from this guy: Legislation to ban Christmas Lights due to possible offenses agains the Epileptic?

It'll never pass just like 1/2 of the BS bills that go through there.. that is unless they see it as a way to gain revenue (however if that comes through I think it'd become a misdemeanor.)

Edit: No offense to any Epileptic persons, referencing the idea of a cartoon

[edit on 23-1-2009 by n1zzzn]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by n1zzzn

You know, you say that in jest.. but coming from this guy.. noting is impossible.

But just the fact that an elected representative thinks that such a law is reasonable is pretty scary.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I agree, it is frightening to see that he's been elected at all. I'm telling you, pretty soon they'll be against anyone touching anyone else in a place where anyone might see these people touching.

It's a joke as well as a personal fear.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Interesting, so your take is this could be a way to convict people (regardless of charge), so that they would not be able to own a gun anymore?

It is a bit of a stretch, but I definitely see where you are going with your line of thinking. Personally, I do not believe this Senator is half as smart to hatch a plan such as that.. but who knows.

This initiative ( the 'criminalization' of the 'citizenry' ) has been seriously underway since Clinton.

Besides 'swearing,' another thing that 'everybody does' is have disagreements with their spouse. Consider the 'domestic violence' laws which have been enacted at the state level in many, if not all states. Depending on the jurisdiction, charges can be brought if the 'victim' claims merely that he/she 'felt threatened,' and their testimony need not be corroborated by a third party witness ... those convicted of 'domestic violence,' even at the misdomeanor level are prohibited from owning firearms ...

What other things does 'everybody do?'

How about smoking weed ( more or less everybody, anyway, if you dont like that description, at least 60 million Americans do to some degree, and that seems close enough ) ... How many 'illegal drug users' have been 'criminalized?'

Starting to catch my drift ?

Instead of going directly at removing civil rights through a 'constitutional convention,' some genius figured out they could do it much more simply ( and with a lot less publicity ) by 'criminalizing' the 'citizenry.'

To get an idea of the kinds of things ( basically 'normal' human behaviors ) which will next be 'criminalized' during the current Democratic administration, try to think of things which 'everybody does' and which are 'politically incorrect.'

Scary, scary stuff ...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Point made and taken.

Sometimes the quickest way to get something done is NOT ALWAYS a straight line.

Thank you very much for your input.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Has this mother #er ever heard of the 1st amendment?
Out law profanity? # him, this isn't the 1950's.

asshole.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I am beginning to think it is all for publicity. There is no way this "guy" can think this will pass as a bill.

Or, on the other hand.. this "guy" could think it would pass, which leads me to believe this country is seriously being ran my morons.

Could you imagine what this would do to TV... watch an hour of just about any television station and count the profanities.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

You need to make sure everyone in the state of South Carolina knows of this proposal so that they can remove this lunatic from office.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I support Sen. Ford 100%. And after that legislation is passed, I hope that he will finally do something about the nudity of farm animals and ordinary pets. I for one am sick and tired of seeing the genitals of animals everywhere I go. A family driving by a barn yard...have you ever seen th genitals on some of those horses or mules or donkeys. Shocking and completely uncalled for.
Just think how great America could be if everyone quit cursing and we put clothes on Animals.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

You know what... I figured it out...

This is being pushed so that anytime some kid googles f___ in the library, someone has to pay... that way controls are developed by industry.

I think it's unconstitutional as all get out.

The founding fathers left profanity laws up to the families.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of where a senator needs to be SACKED.

The proposed law is idiotic and has already wasted time and money to be put forth as a draft. It's completely irresponsible and out of touch with reality.

This senator is clearly incompetent and needs to be removed from his position of responsibility.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Oh they know. It is no secret what this guy is trying to do. But, like I said in my first post, nearly everyone in this state is just as dumb as this guy. The stupidity is not a 100% pure saturation, but it is like this. We have a local radio station that brings it up all the time because they hold these "strip for implants" contest and they talking about how they might not be able to hold them anymore because "strip for implants" could be labeled as profane. If you read the law it doesnt say what words are to be considered to be profane, that means it can be interpreted by the law. So if you go out and say that you saw a girl with a nice butt and a cop hears you, he could possible label it as profane and arrest you and to break this law is a felony. It is not just curse words. So the radio station has been talking about how they might have to stop the contests and people have been calling up saying stuff like" man, that sucks. no more boob contests" not saying anything about how the bill is going to affect everyone. Most people are not taking it as seriously as they should be, they dont care or they thinking it is somekind of joke bill that wont get passed.

I gotta get out of this place. Im accepting donations.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

I am not sure which bothers me more.. the fact this Senator wants to pass this through.. or the fact that people in the area know about it, yet just joke about it.

I guess it will be easy to laugh until they are carting you off to jail.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This whole thing is ridiculous. I just talked with someone about this today.

Howard Stern gets fined for the "GD" or "F bomb", but the Yin Yang Twins have "skeet, skeet, skeet" all over the radio.

Profanity is fluid. New words are used all the time. There needs to be sanity in how this is looked at. Do we expect sanity from the two parties? I think not.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Dear Senator Ford,

I will speak as I damn well please and if you don't like it you can GO F#*@ YOURSELF YOU FASCIST A## @%&$!

Sincerely,

A disgruntled voter

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Does anyone see the irony here?

You are forced to censor the very language Sen. Ford is wanting outlawed. Internet laws seem to have better control over you than the free speech issues of the real world.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
You are forced to censor the very language Sen. Ford is wanting outlawed. Internet laws seem to have better control over you than the free speech issues of the real world.

ATS members agree upon registering, that they will abide by the restrictions, terms and conditions of the forums.

One of these restrictions is that members may not use profanity or attempt to circumvent the profanity filters by using proxy words.

ATS can restrict free 'speech' as you're not forced to be here, you choose to be here.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
"Under the pre-filed bill, profanity could land you in jail for up to 5 years and/or cost you up to $5,000 in fines."

What!!!?!?!?!!?!

Isn't that a little over the top? First of all, too many people are already in prison and little room for many more. Second, practically everybody uses profanity in their day to day lives even if it's something as small as saying sh*t or da*n.

Do they have like a ranking system of if you say this word, you get this sentence? I'm guessing fu*k, bi*ch, and cu*t are the ones "thou shall not say". What's even more ridiculous is this Senator probably cusses all the time and the people that are for it DO THE SAME!

I'll be watching you Mr. Robert Ford. Until then....

Go **** yourself!

LOL, I had to do it :-)

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What a great idea!!!! I really and truly hope this passes. The only reason swear words have any power now is because they are forbidden words. If they were too common, no one would care to hear or say them. Making them illegal will really help, just look at how quickly and easily it solved our drug problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join