It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Robert Ford pushes to outlaw profanity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by twosandman

This is so everyone would be a convicted felon, and then no one would be allowed to vote so the politicians get do do whatever they want.

(Just kidding, please don't think I'm crazy enough to believe that)

If this passes, and catches on in the rest of the country, I'm totally screwed.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Riviera

S&F we have to let as many people see this and those in SC....stop voting him in!

I cant even begin to tell you about SC. The politicians have a field day becuase many of them do not have competition for their jobs. Nearly 50% of the senate seats were uncontested during each of the elections for the last 10 years. They keep voting these people in because no one else wants the job. Its sad but if any of you want a career in politics you can EASILY get your foot in the door in SC. Just pick a place, live their long enough to meet the minimum requirements and go for it.

[edit on 23/1/09 by Pfeil]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
^ this.

We all are lol...I'm central american, profanity is built into our slang.

I've returned to school for the simple reason that if the # doesn't hit the fan, I'm pursuing a career in public service. I'm sick of these politicians and the old ways of doing business.

I think the entire aspect of almost ripping my hair off in frustration of our tax dollars wasted on these bills is what infuriates me. I mean, they probably used the excuse that it's taken them 'weeks' to create these bills and have to spend XXXX thousands of dollars because of that. When you know it took them a few hours at most or dusted off one that was in the back burner for decades.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Riviera]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well now that is a new president you got all this senile senators trying to get laws on what they themselves at one time were all happy to do.

Give it to the elderly in power to come back now and try to get away with moronic laws.

I am sure that the bill will die as many other moronic bills out there.

I just saw another bill been introduced that wanted to make conception the beginning of life and that will take away the rights of abortion in this nation, make women nothing but incubators and made them liable for any damages to their unborn fetuses.

Well Obama just sign a bill to start embryonic cell stem research so you know that that bill is already death.

Is many bills that are made that will make some scream in outrage but thankfully they do not go anywhere.

They are nothing that the bastard dreams of some moronic senators pushed by different groups out there that has nothing better to do but make life worst for other people.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So this may be out there... but this is the same guy who wanted to outlaw "low hanging baggy pants" (I don't wear them, so it does not bother me), but is now moving on to the profanity issue.

Could this Senator think that since we now have a "black" president, that he could get more approval on something like this now, more so than he could with Bush still in office?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is from the same article.

"We spoke to Debra Gammons with the Charleston School of Law about freedom of speech.
She reminds that the First Amendment is not absolute. You cannot say whatever you want whenever you want to."

Welcome to 'CHANGE".
First no "hate" speech allowed. Now no profanity.
Of course its not a problem to have gay sex education in kindergarten, they can give state purchased birth control to children and they can have these kids get abortions without parents knowing about it but if those parents say "blank" or "#&*!" about it they can get a huge cash fine and five years in jail.
This is the progress that they've been working for.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

This guy is the weirdo that tried to get low riding baggy pants outlawed? Man, he really has his priorities in line doesn't he? I don't wear those pants either, but I don't think they should be outlawed. That's just plain stupid. Why are low riding pants an issue anyway?

Glad this guy isn't running the country.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Next the guy is going to want to ban you from flipping someone off.

I think the guy has been cursed at too many times for his moronic approach to passing bills that have no justification.. and this is his way of trying to make it into the history books.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

This guy shouldn't even be a senator. It's amazing to see the people that get into office. Drives me crazy.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And where does he plan to put all these "bad" people? Let's toss out the real criminals, and put the swearing public in jail.

I agree some decorum in public is nice, but this is inane

I hope they have family accommodations because I am going to need it. Silly and ridiculous, as someone said publicity stunt.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here you go...

gustavsgroupie.blogspot.com...

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 16-15-370 SO AS TO MAKE IT UNLAWFUL TO COMMUNICATE PROFANITY IN A PUBLIC FORUM OR PLACE OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION; BY ADDING SECTION 16-15-430 SO AS TO CREATE THE OFFENSE OF DISSEMINATING PROFANITY TO A MINOR AND PROVIDE A PENALTY FOR THE OFFENSE; TO AMEND SECTION 16-15-305, RELATING TO DISSEMINATING OBSCENITY, SO AS TO SPECIFY BOTH ORAL AND WRITTEN PUBLICATIONS; AND TO AMEND SECTION 16-15-375, RELATING TO DEFINITIONS FOR PURPOSES OF MORALITY AND DECENCY OFFENSES AGAINST MINORS, SO AS TO INCLUDE THE OFFENSE OF DISSEMINATING PROFANITY TO A MINOR.

So.... "SECTION 16-15-370 SO AS TO MAKE IT UNLAWFUL TO COMMUNICATE PROFANITY IN A PUBLIC FORUM OR PLACE OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION"... I translate that to mean anyplace that has more than one person located in it.

Wow.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

I'd agree that it's a publicity stunt, but I live in a place where there are a lot of people that agree with things like this. Not to long ago I remember that someone in my county was trying to start fining people for wearing low riding pants.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ok, this guy is a loon....

"South Carolina State Senator Robert Ford says African American men have no business running for pubic office because they would just in the way."

my.barackobama.com...

Ummm.. senator Ford IS black as well. I think this guys is just a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? This guys is definitely in need of some psychiatric help. It's funny to see just what politicians are up to these days.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Here is a great page on this, and the author has said it better than I ever could..

www.popehat.com...#-off-robert-ford/

"That, frankly, is why I care about this sort of thing. Whenever I express outrage at some picayune law proposed by some obscure local politician, someone always jumps up to say that the law will never pass, or will be struck down if it does, and that I am making something out of nothing. But I maintain that actions like Ford’s are the real obscenity and do more violence to civil society than any chorus of profanity-shouters. People like Ford legitimize disregard and even contempt for our constitutional freedoms. They normalize a system in which our leaders focus not on whether something is within the scope of their legitimate power, but whether they can get it enacted or approved. That attitude is far more of a threat to our children than all the dirty words ever uttered." - Ken

I second that.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
WTF?!

This is outrageous! I grew up in the south, certainly they can't fine all of us.

rabble, rabble, rabble!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dirk Gently

Oh no, this guy hopes to fine EVERYONE. Soon our television shows will all be forced to have scripts that sound as though they were written in the 1950's and couples will have to sleep in separate beds!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
One of the things about profanity ( 'swearing' ) is that 'everybody does it!'

One of the things about 'convicted felons' is that they cannot own firearms ... I believe there are other 'significant' losses of 'civil rights' involved as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I 'connect these dots' I don't like the picture I'm getting at all!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
One of the things about profanity ( 'swearing' ) is that 'everybody does it!'

One of the things about 'convicted felons' is that they cannot own firearms ... I believe there are other 'significant' losses of 'civil rights' involved as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I 'connect these dots' I don't like the picture I'm getting at all!

Interesting, so your take is this could be a way to convict people (regardless of charge), so that they would not be able to own a gun anymore?

It is a bit of a stretch, but I definitely see where you are going with your line of thinking. Personally, I do not believe this Senator is half as smart to hatch a plan such as that.. but who knows.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I mentioned that earlier. We wouldn't be able to own guns, and we wouldn't be able to vote. We'd be a nation of felons...a police state indeed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join