It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Rumble Vexes Sequoyah County

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I live in LeFlore County and for the past 3 weeks, my mom and I both hear 4 to 5 rumbles/distant booms somewhere between 11 and noon everyday. Although, on Friday, it was late - 12:25 and today, it was early - 9:30. My son finally heard it yesterday. It's really getting to be creepy especially since the times have taken a turn. It always seems to come from the south of us toward the Oauchita Mountains. Some days you can hear the walls and windows rattle just a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone else in LeFlore County is hearing it or are we just crazy?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Did anyone ever figure out what was going on? I can only add that vast areas of the US are being surveyed for Oil and Gas using seismic study, this process places explosive charges at regular intervals over large areas of land, charges are set at regular intervals. These studies take place from weeks to months with simultaneous detonation of the charges with the goal to shake the ground from the surface to several miles down, these test are repeated on the same area day after day after day as readings are taken from a few dozen to hundreds of locations in the study depending on the size of the area. The readings are done independent of each other which is why it can take weeks to months to complete as the reading must be take at distance from a charge. This process generates 3 dimension images of the earth under the study to better identifying where Oil and Gas is trapped. These types of studies have only been done in the last decade or so, and due to cost originally were done seldom, but with the increased cost of Oil and Gas and Drilling it is cost effective today and is the standard method today. Also these are done at night usually, to increase the accuracy of the readings a semi chugging down the road can alter the readings, so late at night low traffic low noise in general makes it better. I suspect that this is actually what you were hearing and the USGS would see it but also know it wasn't an earthquake, I would also think local law enforcement would know about it since they many times block roads during the tests. Of course Osage County is next door and The Shidler Field is in Osage County the largest Oil find ever in Oklahoma, so if it was being done in Osage you would be able to hear that and even feel it a county over if the geology is right, and local law might not know anything about it.

<< 8  9  10   >>

join