It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.C. Senator pushing a bill to outlaw profanity; punishable by jailtime and/or hefty fines

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I just sent him a email:

Honorable Sentator Ford,

You recent bill, "S 0056, General Bill", is frankly to say, outrageous. You were elected to represent your fellow citizens and to uphold the Constitution and the very principle of this country. By proposing this bill, you are eliminating parts of free speech. As protected by the Bill of Rights, Amendment I. There are certian exception to it, considering the Miller's Test onm profanity and obviously needed laws for copyright and Camphain finance laws, and for slander.

But my non-polite side of my mind has just exploded in a rush of anger and frustration and someone could even CONCIVE the idea that they would limit our free speech.

Yourself:

"(3) publishes orally or in writing, exhibits, or otherwise makes available anything obscene to any a group or individual; or"

So, are you telling me that who ever publishes great novels such as George Orwell's 1984, Charles Dicken's Great Expectation, and just about every modern novel written! This is quite outragous.

"Both proposals are clearly unconstitutional, said David Hudson, a scholar at the First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. Anti-profanity laws are "relics of past eras." Although profanity can be prohibited in limited cases, such as in public schools or if it's part of a threat, most profane or offensive speech is protected under the First Amendment, Hudson said. "What may be profane to person A may not be profane to person B," said Keith Holzman, principal of Solutions Unlimited, a consultant and former record-label executive. "I'm against all forms of such legislation. You can't define profanity."

There are so many things wrong with this, and how it could be twisted into bad things, that I will not even list them. This is a CLEAR violation of our rights, and would severly go agaisnt the First Ammendment of the Constiution. THe can't believe that even you, a sentator, would even think of proposing something like this.

In conclusion, I would like to let you know that I am not a resident of South Carolina, I have never even visted South Carolina. I am a proud citizen of Minnesota, and came across this bill randomly, and am passing it along to everyone I know. This is outragous, and I suggest you pull the bill immidently. Thank you for my time.\

Will

Email him at RIF@scsenate.org.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
1. The mere consideration of such a bill is outrageous:

a) A certain amount of “profanity” is and will always be part of normal human behaviour. Hence to generally “prohibit” profanity would equate to a prohibition of normal human behaviour, hence to the destruction of human beings.

b) Additional substantial damage will be caused by such a bill (or similar laws) as to be a downright evil use case of double standards. Double standards are always destructive for a society, but this would be the final straw. We cannot have TPTB increasingly and completely disregard all rules and laws, even the constitution, as can be seen today, while at the same time imposing - and meticulously enforcing - more and more petty and restrictive rules upon the average citizen.

2. Consequently, such bans and double standards will destroy human society.

3. To yet keep the situation under control society will literally have to be transformed into a ... prison state.

4. … which is the actual – hidden – intent/agenda of such laws.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Day by day I keep being impressed by the utter stupidity of our "leaders" this bill reminds me a little bit of this:

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Question]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

LOL, agreed.

This senator can suck my ass and go to hell where he will be #ed by Satan and be the little bitch of everyone there.

That enough cursing, or should I do more?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join