It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Have Barack Obama...click.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I also have to state that before people say "Oh but that is Africa". South Africa has never been anything like their neighbors. South Africa was always like some kind outer European state.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I think that the sense if entitlement was more about the last line in that video. "If we help him out, he will help us out" that is a false sense of entitlement.

Forgetting the last words in the video you would be correct, however like the audio clip seemed to illustrate, there is a sense among some that because of the election of Obama that all of life's worries are going to disappear, which as we know simply isn't the case.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I did hear what she said.

Fact 1 - Even if the economy gets a boost ... there still is no promisses that she will be able to pay for that stuff, what if shes a crack fiend?

Fact 2 - A trillion $+ package will not help the economy

Fact 3 - This thread is fail..

Here is another example of false entitlement

Removed off-topic content.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

I think that the sense if entitlement was more about the last line in that video. "If we help him out, he will help us out" that is a false sense of entitlement.

Forgetting the last words in the video you would be correct, however like the audio clip seemed to illustrate, there is a sense among some that because of the election of Obama that all of life's worries are going to disappear, which as we know simply isn't the case.

I don't think so at all...

It's very reasonable... "Help the man you want get elected... expect him to do the things you elected him for"

I don't see that as false entitlement. That's like saying it's a false entitlement to marry a woman and expect her to be faithful. It may not happen but its a far cry from a false entitlement.

What is it with you folks and this sense that Black people have a False entitlement? Refering to CIO08's post earlier...

Come to Atlanta... the vast majority of the affluence is centered in black communities and I think you will have a completely different perspective on the African-American community.

The thing I love about Atlanta is that there are socio-economic classes, but it's not based on racial lines.

I paid upwards of 400k for my house, and the neighborhood I live in is filled with affluent minorities. As a matter of fact, as a white man in this neighborhood, I am the minority.

Let's see.. I have the Iranian-American who lives behind me who has a son that my son plays with. I fixed the guys computer for him and he gave me a ton of firewood. Nice guy.

Across the way there is the Indian-American family who keep to themselves but have lots of beautiful kids who my son plays with.

There is Ted, down the way. He's African American and that's his second house. He lives in DC and flies down here to play golf, so he needed a second place to stay while he is here. Good guy, invited me in for a beer once while he showed me his Golfing gear.

Then there is the Asian family, Single working executive mother and her latch-key child. He's always over here playing with my son. My son helps him with his homework.

Maybe I just live in a different world than you.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

Dude as crazy as that chic was on the Marta...

That was not a racial thing at all..

Did you notice everyone on the marta was Black?

Did you notice the other passengers telling her to chill out, stop pickin on the old lady?

So this is evidence of False Entitlement in the Black Community?

Puhlease... this is evidence of one crazy histrionic chick who felt like the only way she could get over on someone was to yell at an old woman.

She obviously has mother issues.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think the biggest problem with this thread it implies that Obama conspired with these people, promising them wealth. My opinion is that the republicans had a similar strategy speaking about bailing people out with their mortgages. And with the government starting under Bush and now under Obama bailing out every incompetent bank and industry , is it any wonder that the poor and ignorant think that it's just a matter of time before their handout is ready for collection?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

I still have yet to see any evidence of anyone expecting a handout.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Okay so tell me what you think that the 95+% of blacks that voted for Obama think is going to change if he won? Or do you think they voted for him because there never were black republicans before? Or just so they can say we have a black president and thats so nice? It obviously wasn't his vast experience record.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Well I can't speak for a generalization

However... the Black folks I know expect him to execute his duties intelligently in such a way that he will have a positive effect on the Economy.

For example, as I mentioned earlier, my in-laws are having a tough time paying their mortgage right now, because they have both lost their jobs.

The market sucks for jobs, so it's difficult. They are currently living on savings, and are paying their mortgage, but they WORRY about it every month.

This is the same mortgage they paid just fine for 25 years prior.

They expect Obama to have a positive effect on the economy and to hopefully pull us out of the brink of depression back into prosperity again.

Now... it's one thing to say you don't think Obama can, or will do this. It's another to somehow insinuate that these folks are looking for a handout.

As for his experience, that was a reason I voted for him. I didn't want anyone with "experience" at screwing things up. I wanted someone completely different from the Presidents I had seen in the past.

Specifically I was looking for the son of an immigrant. because I believe that the only hope for America is to be found in the Immigrants really see the value and promise of our great nation.

Many of us who were born here, simply take a lot of it for granted.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

I am sorry but the video has absolutely nothing to do with false entitlement, I don't even know what the goal was of going through the trouble of posting something so ignorant and irrelevant to what the thread was about, if you could, however, possibly even explain it we might listen and give you some feedback.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

Cio88 is a troll.

The user will not have a discussion with you, simply spew platitudes and post vids in order to raise hackles.

Don't waste your breath.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

So in effect you are speculating as much as everybody else on this thread? It's fine to say this or that is not so but occasionally it's also good to let people state their observations without implying racism.

I gave you my experience in South Africa. There are definitely people in the states with similar expectations that now that their is a Black President that black conditions will be given priority attention. And I am not only speaking about blacks but also white people. Change is scary because it is an unknown quantity but sometimes change can be scary because it is perceived to be a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

So in effect you are speculating as much as everybody else on this thread? It's fine to say this or that is not so but occasionally it's also good to let people state their observations without implying racism.

How am I speculating? I told you about my in-laws and how they perceive it.

How is that speculating?

I'm not implying racism at all... I'm simply saying that the Black supporters of Obama, that I know, are not looking for handouts. They are looking for the depressed economic conditions to get better.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So surely when people on this thread are saying well they heard so and so say this or that, with documented proof they are wrong , but you reporting that the limited number of people you know says this or that and it becomes fact?

I understand you feel you have to defend the people you love, but maybe it's okay to understand that all communities have their ignorant and those who feel entitled. Your sample however is not very representative and as I stated earlier what is wrong with this thread is that it implies somehow with these samples that it is Obama has been caught out.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yeah I agree with you HunkaHunka.
I think this lady simply meant that they have Barrack Obama who is going to try and FIX the current economic problems so she would be able to pay for her car.
I don't think she meant hes going to give everyone a free car.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
People thought John Kennedy was going to put an end to war. People thought Robert Kennedy was going to restore justice and the rule of law. People still think Ronald Reagan brought down the Soviet Union.

Could it just perhaps be an exaggeration of the overall feeling that maybe, for the first time in the history of our nation, that the playing field for a former slave is now the same as that of their former masters?

I don't understand why so few people get this. Maybe its carry-over from being repeatedly disappointed that Obama really is a U.S. citizen... or never having a cop pull you over for your skin color.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by cogburn]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
Here is another example of false entitlement

yeah... that's not because she's black, the rest of the people on that train are black and are quite civilized considering how annoying she's being. I wouldn't have shown that kind of restraint.

It's called being human... and humans disgust me.
I've seen kids of all races do the same.
Though, I do see more of that from the states.

The only way to deal with brats like that is to wait patiently until they get annoyed from your lack of response, and when they finally touch you, you take them down hard.
"She said she was going to attack me officer, then she tried... everyone else heard that right?"

We're all nothing more than half evolved monkeys... and she's living proof. lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Its not what Obama promised in any speech he made. Its his election workers that went into the churches and made outragious promises to the members and the town meetings with his minions! He has been insulated from any real expectations of the reality of his local Democratic minions and what they have been telling the people for that last 18 months before the election. Thats where this lunacy of false expectaion comes from. The let down will be catastrophic. We have a minimum of 18months til the economy even begins to pick up. A whole lot of bills aren't going to be payed in that time and Obama isn't going to help anyone one whit with them.

Zindo

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

So surely when people on this thread are saying well they heard so and so say this or that, with documented proof they are wrong , but you reporting that the limited number of people you know says this or that and it becomes fact?

I understand you feel you have to defend the people you love, but maybe it's okay to understand that all communities have their ignorant and those who feel entitled. Your sample however is not very representative and as I stated earlier what is wrong with this thread is that it implies somehow with these samples that it is Obama has been caught out.

And you have yet to show any evidence of people expecting a handout from Obama.

I haven't seen any thus far. Surely there is none in this thread.

I'm not defending the people I love... I'm simply speaking about what I know. I am however sick of people thinking that Black supporters of Obama are looking for handouts, especially since I haven't seen any evidence of this anywhere. And until someone does provide some evidence of it, it's a myth.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

So technically you were willing to vote for anybody without experience but with foreign parents? Doesn't sound exactly like something I would be looking for in a President. Can you imagine if Obama picked his cabinet on similar criteria? "No problem Ivan you'll learn as you go." "Don't worry Tladi if you accidentally nuke a small village , you will definitely improve over time"

And yes, I think we all got the fact that your in-laws are black. Still I don't think it makes you the official mouthpiece for all black people, mostly because I don't think they need an interpreter.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join