It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Pleads Guilty To Beating of Man in Wheelchair

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Cop Pleads Guilty To Beating of Man in Wheelchair

www.suntimes.com

Chicago Police Officer William Cozzi admitted Thursday that he "lost it" and beat a man who was handcuffed and shackled to a wheelchair at a Northwest Side hospital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Here's another one of those video clips you have to see to believe...

Unreal.

The guy tees off and punches this guy a good half dozen times, even though he is handcuffed and secured to his wheelchair. Big hero.

Then of course follows the usual attempted cover up and lies:

Cozzi filed false reports that Miles attempted to punch him and two other security officers. He lied to investigators that he hit Miles with an open hand. And he falsely charged Miles with resisting arrest.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-1-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I'm glad they got him and that he owned up to it.

To me the worst thing is without the vid. evidence it would have likely stayed the way the cop wrote it up with nothing to prove it otherwise.

Kinda makes you wonder how much of this kind of thing is gotten away with when the cameras aren't rolling..

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

DD you are just a cop hater... ;-)

-Clearly you have probly just had a bad experience with your resident Uniformed Sociopaths and now you are just a Bitter Annie!

-We should not Tar them all with the same brush.

-Lets look at it from their side of the coin.

-Let us not rush to judgment.

-It was just a few bad apples.

-The suspect refused to comply.

-The officers were frightened for their safety.

-I bet you wont complain when you need the cops to help you.

Etc. Etc. Etc.... The apologists will soon arrive and say the above.

*Every single day these men put our lives on the line just to do their job! We should be thankful.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

-Clearly you have probly just had a bad experience with your resident Uniformed Sociopaths and now you are just a Bitter Annie!

*Every single day these men put our lives on the line just to do their job! We should be thankful.

Really? I thin it is YOU who seems to be rushing to judgment.

So everyday they are putting their lives on the line huh? Must be a real battlefield out there.

'few bad apples'? Please let that little meme die a horrible death, a few bad apples that somehow making through the induction process, training, partner supervision, dailies, briefings, and STILL make it out on the streets armed and pissed off at the 'noncompliant world'? Yeah, that's how it goes.

Comply or face immediate physical abuse by teflon law enforcement who are automatically heroes ... every day.

I'm not clear on whether to take your post a sarcasm, but I tell you what, if the world is going to treat citizens like they are guilty until preliminarily punished by brutality and spindled and mutilated by the 'legal' system; then the police will have to share that too.

They USED to be PEACE OFFICERS; now it's law ENFORCEMENT...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It makes me wonder why the 3 security guards watching this situation didn't intervene or speak up. These security guards are not being held accountable as accomplices? Disgusting.

Also makes me wonder how many other people fell victim to this officer's "losing it".

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
"Miles was combative, Cozzi told the court."

What did Miles do try and run over the cops foot with his wheelchair lol. This is sad and an embarrassment for his department. The article goes on to say he is now a security guard... Watch out mall shoppers!

CX

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Really? I thin it is YOU who seems to be rushing to judgment.

I think Maxmars, if you notice the "wink" after Exuberent1's first line there, he is trying to be sarcastic after a recent post, or possibly many posts where people have seen another side to the work the police do.

People really should respect the fact that everyone has an opinion, and it may differ from your own. It's pretty childish and ignorant to think it's just one way.

As for the topic....i'm glad the cops got their comeuppance on this one, to say it was disgusting is an understatement. Thankfully they have pleaded guilty, makes a nice change to those who flatly deny it in the face of obvious evidence.

Hopefully they won't just be given a slap on the wrist and allowed to carry on serving. Theres no place for people like this in the police.

CX.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Back to the same verse..

"You were put here to protect us
But who protects us from YOU?

Every time you say 'That's illegal'
Doesn't mean that it's true

Your Authority is never questioned
No one questions you

Still you were put here to protect US
But who protects us from YOU?"

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree with you completely.

But only because you are One hundred Percent Correct i your assessment ;-)

And so I said this *Every single day these men put OUR(!) lives on the line just to do their job! We should be thankful.

All is well.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

That seems to be the pattern of acceptance.

Just look at the recent BART murder. The guy shot an unarmed, subdued person in the back and KILLED him. His fellow officers did nothing. He should have been apprehended right then and there, and instead he roamed around free as a bird for nearly 2 weeks afterwards.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I've noticed the same thing, seems fraternal "honour" is more important than honest honour. In my opinion the bystanding officers should be held just as accountable. They are not doing their job. If there were penalties for officers found withholding information about a fellow officer they would have something to think about before saying "Don't worry man, we won't rat you out; we'll figure this out." Stories like this are appalling. If the guy did just snap and lose his patience then at least have the cajones to admit that you screwed up. Apologize, face the repercussions, and get on with life. Hiding it and having other people lie on your behalf is just despicable.

I want to spit on people like this.
Cowards.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

i am so sick of this few bad apples crap,,,,
and if that's so,,,,when has another cop come forward and outed a "bad apple" give me some links,,,oh that's right there are none

or the video of a whole group of cops laughing at shooting a protestor in the face

or where 3 cops got busted infiltrating a protest with rocks in there hands

if you can't see the heightened state of police brutality you are the one who is blind

now even senior citizens are being manhandled and beaten

edit------oh yeah by the way it's not a few-----four cops sat there and watched an illegal beating,,,,,and lied under oath and falsified reports

[edit on 23-1-2009 by shortywarn]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i'm shocked this isn't 6 pages long yet,,,,DD your slacking here,,

i at least thought the few bad apple people would be bye???

hmmm....

top topics

join