It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's First Missile Strike

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
More of the same imperial militarism.

Can't say that I'm really surprised.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
if any of you think a President who's not been in office 48 hours would authorize a strike on another country

Of course he would.

and not release the information to the public via the White House press???

The press find out before the official statements come out all the time.

NOW who's talking naive.

You.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Obama is the Commander in Chief. He is to be held responsible for all actions of our military just as all former presidents have been.
Or did you think Obama was different?

Agreed.

I'd like confirmation this was a USA or origin attack.
So far there is none.

Is it President Obama to be held responsible for conjectures?
I'd rather he was held responsible for facts.

No, there's no proof only conjecture so far.

I'd also like a statement from the White House before JUMPING THE GUN.

Then, we'll have something to talk about - good or bad.

Until then it's all conjecture.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Show me proof we'll have something to talk about.
Until then?
BS.

peace

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Pakistan drone attack kills nine

A suspected US drone missile attack has killed nine people in north-western Pakistan, local witnesses say.

At least one missile hit a house in a village near the town of Mirali in North Waziristan, a stronghold of al-Qaeda and Taleban militants.

A second suspected drone attack has now been reported in South Waziristan but there is no word on casualties.

Pakistan has long argued that such strikes are counter-productive and are a violation of its sovereignty.

These are the first drone attacks since Barack Obama was inaugurated as US president on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, two security personnel were killed when a suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into a military checkpoint in the Fizzagat area of the Swat Valley in north-western Pakistan.

Swat plays host to frequent battles between the Pakistani army and Islamic militants trying to enforce a strict form of Islamic law set down by Mullah Fazlullah, a radical cleric.

'Militants killed'

The first drone attack struck a house owned by a man called Khalil Khan in the village of Zeerakai at 1700 local time.

Four Arab militants were killed in the strikes, officials said. Their identities were not immediately clear but officials said one was a senior al-Qaeda operative.

The second attack was on the house of a Taleban commander about 10km from the town of Wanna, local reports said.

There have been more than 20 attacks carried out from drones on targets in north-western Pakistan in recent months, sparking protests from Pakistan's government against US policy in the region.

On Thursday, President Obama appointed Richard Holbrooke as special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, having promised that his administration would continue to tackle the threats posed by extremists in both countries.

Earlier on Friday, a roadside bomb exploded on the outskirts of Mingora town as a security patrol was passing.

Eyewitnesses said the security forces opened fire and killed three passers-by, but the security forces denied being responsible for the deaths.

Well now we have the truth plain as day and in our faces.
Again I just don’t understand why people get so mad when the President whether Republican or Democrat makes an executive decision based on daily briefings on subjects that we the average Joe has no clue about.
The man is the Commander and Chief and he acted on that information. It simply doesn’t matter what he said during the election.
I’m sorry people got their feelings hurt when the man was elected to the highest office in the land and does his job that he was hired for. I didn’t vote for the man and I don’t see a problem with this action. I say he got briefed on this situation and made the call. This doesn’t lower nor raise my opinion of him either way.

If anything I bet he made this call and probably killed some key people before he signed the end of the war on terrorism. Cleaned up the known people out there that Bush never touched to keep the war going and to be able say we haven’t found them yet.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Obama campaigned on a hard stance towards terrorism, and dealing with Al Queda in Pakistan, and I am glad to see that he is standing firm. If Pakistan is not going to do something about Al Queda operating inside its territories, than the U.S. can and should go into Pakistan to take out Al Queda operatives holed up there.

The message should be given out clearly. If terrorists are operating out of your country, and you are allowing this, then we will invade to take them out with or without your cooperation. Nations that don't want the U.S. to invade should make sure that terrorists are not operating within their borders.

The war against terrorism isn't over by a long shot. Hopefully, with a competent admin, it will be over soon.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Ever seen President Bush telling the public that he authorized attacks in Pakistan?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by silo13

Ever seen President Bush telling the public that he authorized attacks in Pakistan?

Nope they never admit or rarely, which is why Troll is going on this angle

The United States rarely acknowledges firing the missiles, which are mostly fired from drones believed launched from neighboring Afghanistan.

However it is being reported by AP news in Islamabad that PAKISTAN intelligence has without naming sources stated a second Missile attack has just occurred!!

OMG he is really going for it, and if this is not the US War would have broken out by now or is about to between the regional players.

Talk about a statement of intent!!!

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — Intelligence officials are reporting a second suspected U.S. missile attack on the Pakistan side of the Afghan border.

The officials say there were no immediate confirmation of any casualties in the second attack Friday in Gangi Khel in South Waziristan.

An attack earlier Friday killed at least 10 people in North Waziristan. They are the first reported U.S. missile strikes since President Barack Obama took office.

AP Pakistan Islamabad for all Extrenal in this Post

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Where did everybody go?
Is this an example of

You Cant Handle The Truth?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Pakistan will be Obama's war. And anyone who paid attention to what he said REPEATEDLY during his campaign will not be surprised by this. He stated many times that Iraq was the wrong place to be fighting the WOT and that Pakistan was where the root of the problem is.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, it looks to be a case of that, alright. This does not fit this almost mythical image that they've created of the man as a peacenik and peacemaker at all costs.

The bizarre thing about it is the fact that most of us who don't support him aren't the ones freaking out over it. His supporters are the ones choking on it. There's no way in hell I'd have voted for the guy, but as long as he doesn't go overboard (and that's something I'm very concerned about with him given his past rhetoric toward Pakistan), he's probably justified.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by vor78]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It appears 18 have been killed now!

AP again trying to catch up, it has confirmation from Border officials:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — Two suspected U.S missile attacks killed 18 people Friday in Pakistan just east of the Afghan border, security officials said, the first such strikes since the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

At least five victims were identified as foreign militants, an intelligence officer said.

The strikes, which hit two districts of the lawless region where al-Qaida militants are known to hide out, are the latest in a barrage of more than 30 since the middle of last year.

AP Islamabad

I soo hope that this is not going to really heat up with Pakistan, it would be soo easy for it to get very very out of control.

No Musharef puppet anymore

Elf.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pfeil
abcnews.go.com...

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges," Obama said, "but let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. It was a terrible mistake to fail to act when we had a chance to take out an al Qaeda leadership meeting in 2005. If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will."

It's funny how this quote isn't remembered by to many people.

[edit on 23/1/09 by Pfeil]

I remember it proudly!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It seems to me that nothing much has changed here. This is the same thing that was happening under Bush, right? So if the military has authorization to go after targets I would assume that the commander in the area has the authority to make that decision without phoning the oval office. I would also assume that in the absence of orders to the contrary, whatever military policy is in place remains in place until the area commander is told different.

So all this really tells us is that Obama hasn’t changed that military policy yet, not too surprising considering that it’s only been 48 hrs, and that he was hawkish on Afghanistan during the campaign. So the big news is that nothing changed?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Yeah no doubt.

It's what... day 3?

Give it at least a week for goodness sake.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

What about Saudi Arabia? Is he going to attack them where they are? The root of the problem?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

It says that it is the first attack since the inauguration. there was a cease fire during the inauguration.

All this is saying that things have now heated up again between Pakistan and Israel and the cease fire is over.

Reminding the US how many problems Obama has inherited and has to deal with.

This doesn't have anything to do with Obama except the timeline, that this is the first international incident to come along in his adminitration.

Stop proprogating garbage, pay attention to the info. And take some anti-anxiety medicine for crying out loud.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hey im just quoting Obama. Your guess is as good as mine why he thinks Pakistan is the root of the problem and not Saudi Arabia.

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by princeofpeace

What about Saudi Arabia? Is he going to attack them where they are? The root of the problem?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I repeat!

There is no reference to President Obama authorizing any such thing in any of the articles you posted.
Any illusion of a strike order coming from President Obama at this point is pure conjecture and propaganda.

They cannot even prove (as of now) the plane was American - (Though they *SUSPECT* it was a drone)...

All they state is it’s the first strike since the inauguration and state NOTHING about President Obamas influence or authorization.

peace

Edit is not working...

[edit on 23-1-2009 by silo13]

Uhm, missiles don't go in to Pakistan with the President's authorization. Are you looking for some way to blame Bush or something?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bakane

No he's simply saying that Obama didn't authorize the strike directly.

It was a continuation of the policies before him because its ONLY DAY 3

No blame of bush... simply saying that there are still policies from the previous admin which Obama is changing...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join