It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Authorises Missile Attack on Pakistan -10 Killed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well now that Barack Obama is the POTUS, he must step up. Remember that during the campaign that he said that he would invade Pakistan if necessary to get to Osama bin Laden. So, the airstrike comes as welcome news to me. If he gets Osama and his buddies, then I will praise the man. If he does it in his first term, I might even vote for him for another.

I am wondering how long it will be before Code Pink, MoveOn, and Daily Kos, types turn on him? Especially if he continues to act like a man who wants to get Osama.

If the Lefties do go after Barack Obama, they will be in for a very rude shock. The man has star power, just like Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwartzenegger. You cannot defeat a politician with star power, because all he has to do is call a press conference and then all the "protesters" are swept aside.

So, go get 'em Barack. Yes We Can! Yes We Can!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Anytime that a US military plane penetrates the borders of a foreign country, that we are not at war with, the mission must be authorized by the President. That is SOP.

So, nice try, but the plane was authorized by the POTUS or it would never have taken off.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Congress approved them, right?

Calling it the War in Iraq (H.J. Res. 114) or the War in Afghanistan (S.J. Res. 23) is still correct, right?

Both of these were approved by Congress

There is no War in/on/against Pakistan. Therefor, for a missile strike to be enacted, the authorization MUST come from the President.

In fact, the absolute authority for the President to do that come from War Powers Resolution.

The President has broad constitutional power to take military action in response to the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001. Congress has acknowledged this inherent executive power in both the War Powers Resolution and the Joint Resolution passed by Congress on September 14, 2001.

The President has constitutional power not only to retaliate against any person, organization, or State suspected of involvement in terrorist attacks on the United States, but also against foreign States suspected of harboring or supporting such organizations.

The President may deploy military force preemptively against terrorist organizations or the States that harbor or support them, whether or not they can be linked to the specific terrorist incidents of September 11.

And don't think Pakistan is not completely aware of what we are doing there, in fact, if it is Taliban, they are glad we are attacking them!

Pakistan is tired of the Taliban attacks too

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Thanks for posting that.

Any military action or use of force must be authorized, either by Congress in the case of a Declaration of War, or by the POTUS under the War Powers Act.

I agree with you as well, that an authorization of force, by Congress, is a Declaration of War. It does not have to use the actual words Declaration of War. When the vote was being held for the use of force against Iraq, in both Gulf Wars, several Senators clearly stated that the act had the force of a Declaration of War. Of course those same politicians quickly reversed themselves when public opinion started to turn.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Go Obama !! I am impressed - he's showing more cahones than Carter ever did. I don't care where the Al Qaeda camps are - they are fair targets. They have declared war on America and I hope we don't stop until every single one of them is erradicated.

The article I read says many of the Pakistani people feel the Pakistani Govt is helping the US locate Al Qaeda in Pakistan as an attempt to bind ties after the Mumbai incident.

I honestly don't think Pakistan wants to defend Al Qaeda at this point. And I hope people don't expect the US to quit pursuing them.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If this strike had happened last week, this site would be filled with tons of anti Bush posts we've all come to expect. Now that Obama ordered the strike it's really interesting how certain people are making excuses for him.
I'll state again what I've stated many times before, we all don't know the entire story of what exactly is going on over there, and we won't for many years..
If it's something he had to do then I say You Go O!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
If this strike had happened last week, this site would be filled with tons of anti Bush posts we've all come to expect. Now that Obama ordered the strike it's really interesting how certain people are making excuses for him.

Nonsense. It was happening...likely last week, and frankly the only ones getting upset about it were the Pakistanis. Oh, and the targets, of course.

It's not nice to fib, Alxandro, even if it allows you to get in a shot at the new guy. Election's over. Inauguration's done. Get over it.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

SLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) — Missiles fired from a suspected U.S. spy plane killed 10 people Friday in Pakistan just east of the Afghan border, a lawless region where al-Qaida militants are known to hide out, security officials said.

So 5, as mentioned, were probably civilians or innocent foreign militants, and 5 were foreign militanmts, but, maybe innocent ones, as it never says who's militant's, and all Non US Militant's, from a US standpoint, are foreign militants

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Shot at the new guy? How so?

Read my post again I stated if he had to authorize the strike it's because he knows something that we don't know about.

The shot you mention was directed at those that make excuses for him.

If I had wanted to take a shot at Obama I would have made a comment like
"Status Quo You Can Believe In" ,
since you state these strikes were indeed going on last week.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Here we go again
...it comes as no surprise, though. Why does it seem that we continually take one step forward and two steps back? I'm afraid to even wonder what's in store for us...what's going to come in the next four years?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

They cannot even prove (as of now) the plane was American! (Though they *suspect* it was a drone)...

Stop the propaganda please.

peace

I cant beleive you got stars for this post. Deny ignorance indeed..

News flash people, Obama is the president. We don't strike Pakistan without Obama's approval! Propaganda? Christ, we;'re in trouble if all Obama supporters are this naive.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bakane

I cant beleive you got stars for this post. Deny ignorance indeed..

News flash people, Obama is the president. We don't strike Pakistan without Obama's approval! Propaganda? Christ, we;'re in trouble if all Obama supporters are this naive.

I really think this is the point, people are soo weary and scared and tired from the Bush 8 yrs,

The problems with the official 9/11, story,

Wars and more wars rumours of Wars,

Stolen elections in plain Sight!

Economic Depression coming,

They got drunk, were lambs to the slaughter for Hope in a Change and something new, a new dawn, redemption and to bring back the US of Old, one of feeling proud of the country and its government.... that they dont want to admit the truth.

The truth being CHANGE is only in relation to the Face as far as international politics and foreign relations go.

That the only real Change is on very minute domestic arrangements and a better speaker, a better flowering of the truth with words of the Party line from the Hill.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Barack Obama did indeed authorise the strike in his fourth day as president.

He was indeed as many of the sane, reasonable and non hypnotised posters mentioned consulted before any such action took place.

Double standards, mean you are bad as those actions and morals posters, say you stand against.

I think the reaction and support of many on this thread speaks volumes of the real issues the new saviour poses for the world and the US.

We have to be honest in our dealings with his actions, and if doing this action was wrong in your views for the Bush Cabal it is equally wrong for the Obama team.

In fact I find it more worrying, I always had the impression as such Bush was only a puppet, and was easily led by the likes of Cheney and his dad.

Obama seems to be his own man more, with no strings pulling him to make decisions, so the fact he did indeed authorise this, and his as stated comments on the Afghan and Pakistan issues, shows us the course of action he intends to make and drag the US and world with him into in this regard:

Barack Obama gave the go-ahead for his first military action yesterday, missile strikes against suspected militants in Pakistan which killed at least 18 people.

Four days after assuming the presidency, he was consulted by US commanders before they launched the two attacks. Although Obama has abandoned many of the "war on terror" policies of George Bush while he was president, he is not retreating from the hunt for Osama bin Laden and other al-Qaida leaders.

The US marine corp commander said yesterday that his 22,000 troops should be redeployed from Iraq to Afghanistan. Gen James Conway said "the time is right" to leave Iraq now the war had become largely nation-building rather than the pitched fighting in which the corps excelled; he wanted the marines in Afghanistan,

The Gaurdian UK (left/democrat veiw paper!)

Says it all.

Kind Regards,

Elf

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join