It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Embryonic Stem Cell Trial Gets FDA Approval

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is the embryonic stem cell research that seems to be the hot button. Stem cells can come from many other places

The poster above me really probably has it correct. You will see people being paid for their sperm/eggs and they will probably just grow the blastocysts in the labs. Basically making a blastocyst farm. Think about it. The likelihood of aborted fetuses will be much lower than those made in the lab to begin with.

It just a really creepy thought that way.

I have kids via IVF, I have the photos of them as blastocysts and we are celebrating their 9th birthday this weekend.

I am one of those that can argue both sides of most things and I can see the point of the uses of *stem cell* research. I am just not so sure we want to move into the embryonic side. I don't think it will make a difference in abortions, but, I do think it will make it like donating blood. Those that need the money, will line up to do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
First, i want to say, there has not been that much success with the use of embryonic stem cells. There has been much more success with adult stem cells. So for all the people thinking this will provide some type of miracle cure for all the worlds medical ills, I say don't hold your breath.

Now here is the ethical and moral delimma for me. Let's say in the future there proves to be great success with embryonic cells. While it may not be happening now, what keeps scientist from creating embroy's just for the cells and nothing else? It only takes one warped mind for this to happen.

We are a culture of never being satisfied until we have enough. Suppose great medical cures do come from using embryonic stem cells.Do we then begin to harvest life, just to take it? What gives us, as mere humans the right to decide who lives and who dies? By placing more value on one groups life than another's
We begin to take on the roll of Godplayers. Only one has this right, The Creator, God.

When we act as though we have the right to judge whose life is worthy of keeping and whose life isn't, not only are we superceding the hand of God but we sink to the depths
of depravty of all mankind.

Where do we draw the line?
What's next? I think it would be miraculous to have this cure, but at what cost?

[edit on 01/12/2009 by paxnatus]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Stem cells don't just come from embryos. They come from adults when they donate. They come from placentas, they come from cord blood. Stem cell is a generic term.

I'm all for placental, cord blood, and adult stem cell research for a few reasons. 1.) It has been proven succesful (whereas embryonic stem cells apparently have not) 2.) Donors will not be lining up to sell these materials, the industry will not be making supply demands. 3.) Most importantly, no one dies.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Now these are embryos that are not used, and rejected, and otherwise thrown away. So I don't understand why the can't be put to incredible use?

When cryogenically frozen as I understand it, these blastocysts can be stored for future parents. Parents get to choose the blastocyst according to inherent properties "no, not that one, it's a mutant". By creating a demand by a business which does research on blastocysts means they'll need a whole lot of them and they're willing to shell big money to make it happen. High demand turns into a desire for high supply and thus the factory is born.

Most products people in the industrialized nations use today are turned out swiftly by the process of mass production, by people (and sometimes, robots) working on assembly lines using power-driven machines.

Commerce and industry have always been closely related. Sometimes one is ahead and sometimes the other, but the one behind is always trying to catch up.

Large-scale commerce could not be carried on by barter, as much of the earlier trade had been. Gold and silver from the New World helped meet this need. Banks and credit systems developed. By the end of the 17th century Europe had a large accumulation of capital. Money had to be available before machinery and steam engines could come into wide use for they were costly to manufacture and install.
history-world.org...

Actually a pretty fascinating read at the link if you have the time. Point being, where there's a high demand, there's a factory. In this case, an embryo factory.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
News Story Here

Sperm and egg sales rise in economic hard times.

These people are selling sperm and eggs so that others can make children invitro.

However, the same of sperm and eggs for experimentation can't be far behind. And who will be the most likely people to sell their sperm and eggs for experimentation? THE POOR.

It's exploitation.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
News Story Here

These people are selling sperm and eggs so that others can make children invitro.

What are the odds! It's such an interesting coinkidink, no? This puzzle isn't even a hundred pieces so putting it together is for ages 4 and up. Thanks for find, it's underscores the point of the creation of the baby factory.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by saint4God]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join